It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain urges town hall attendees to cut up their AARP cards

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
tinkprogress.org

Last week, the AARP, a nonpartisan organization that advocates on behalf of those aged 50 and over, endorsed the House health care bill. “We can say with confidence that it meets our priorities for protecting Medicare, providing more affordable health insurance for 50- to 64-year-olds and reforming our health care system,” AARP vice president Nancy Leamond said. At a town hall meeting in Arizona on Friday, Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) vowed to “fight with every fiber of my body” to oppose a similar health care reform bill in the Senate. He then claimed that Medicare will actually be “cut” and reportedly urged the town hall attendees to tear up their AARP membership cards:

The 2,000-page bill would mean more regulation and mandates, he said. People wouldn’t be able to keep the coverage they had. It would also increase taxes and the cost of Medicare, he said.

The bill claims to save $500 billion in waste from Medicare, he said.

“I don’t think so,” McCain said. “I think it’s going to cut it.”

He encouraged audience members to cut up their AARP cards and send them back.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

IMO AARP is a credible and relatively conservative organization. I think they did their homework before endorsing this bill.

As I understand it, the proposed cuts would be to Medicare Advantage plans (which aren't working well anyway) and other waste and fraud in the program. Nothing for most seniors to worry about.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
While I, nor do I suspect McCain, knows how this will turn out in the end, I am fairly certain that his "support" will be based on political expedience, and little else.

The government seems to be all about how money gets moved around... not how (or even if) it is returned to those to whom it belongs.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars

The government seems to be all about how money gets moved around... not how (or even if) it is returned to those to whom it belongs.

I remember money...it was a nice concept while it lasted. I wonder what will replace it now that it has been destroyed accidentally/purposely.

Forgive the shallowness of my recent posts...I need to knock out 8 more.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Poor John McCain. He's gone from the tough as nails, do anything for the people hero of Vietnam to this bumbling oaf in less then three years. I can't even think of how he expected that move to go over.. Of all the groups affected, the elderly are the most in need of healthcare reform. Many of them can't afford their medications and living expenses, so they make cutbacks in one or both. Perhaps old Johnnie thinks everybody has it easy like marrying a ketchup queen.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Jackboot.Heel

Perhaps old Johnnie thinks everybody has it easy like marrying a ketchup queen.

John McCain is not married to a ketchup queen.

That would be John Kerry.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Yup. Poor delusional John McCain. Obama/Reid/Pelosi would never adversely affect senior healthcare to push their own agenda, would they?

Nonpartisan agency says House bill would reduce senior care

A plan to slash more than $500 billion from future Medicare spending -- one of the biggest sources of funding for President Obama's proposed overhaul of the nation's health-care system -- would sharply reduce benefits for some senior citizens and could jeopardize access to care for millions of others, according to a government evaluation released Saturday.

The report, requested by House Republicans, found that Medicare cuts contained in the health package approved by the House on Nov. 7 are likely to prove so costly to hospitals and nursing homes that they could stop taking Medicare altogether.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

But that's not the point, is it?

We are talking about John McCain's verbal energy and how he uses it, aren't we?

I believe that technically, your post approaches what some consider political baiting, if you don't mind my saying so.

But on the chance that such was not your intent, I would say that I can't recall any of the other puppets you mentioned even referring to the AARP. I suppose that's a political support issue....

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

You can consider what I posted any way you want to. John McCain recognizes the bad intentions of AARP in backing the proposed healthcare moves of Congress, and is trying to open peoples' eyes to this before it is too late.

If you wish to try to deflect the issue by taking a "View" perspective on his energy levels rather than the issues at hand, then go for it.

EDIT: Considering your position on this board, I'll be expecting this and my previous post to not last very long. I won't hold it against you.

[edit on 11/15/09 by Ferris.Bueller.II]

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

Worry not, (not that you were), I am not likely to interfere with your posts, I was just trying to stay on topic.

As for the "View" intimation, well... I'm sure it can't be a good thing, but I have never watched the show so I can know for sure... (that's the one with the clutch of celebrity ladies...?)

McCain is expending his political energy on this angle of the healthcare legislation issue almost to the exclusion of everything else. Perhaps his age has something to do with it..., perhaps his base. I don't know.

I am curious why he wouldn't call for members to assault their organizations with inquiries? Or has the AARP already answered the questions he raises.

One would think that such an association exists to serve their members.... or does it?

[edit on 16-11-2009 by Maxmars]

[edit on 16-11-2009 by Maxmars]

new topics

top topics

join