It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Canada Spearhaed an Effort to Launch Enough Simple Mass Into Orbit to Deter A Major Impact

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Should the World be working together to put a piece of material up in space that has enough pure mass to act as a launchable ASTEROID in earths terrestrial defense from incoming rocks?

This seems to be the on PHYSICS THAT IS FOOLPROOF.
And we are only losing potential mass and therefore defensability while we figure this out,time launching equals mass in space and we have a long way to go.

Any opinions?

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Why do you suggest Canada?
Our contributions to the space program have been minimal at best, and I believe any suggestion along the lines of counter measures to avoid an asteroid would be scoffed at coming from us.
They are all too busy analyzing puddles on the moon.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I think it would be a waste of resources to get that much mass in orbit.

Mass = Energy, why not use that instead. We might as well put those nukes into good use. Space based lasers and microwaves is also an option.

The perfect version of your idea (IMO), would be collecting the spacetrash and use that instead

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Canada doesn't need, and cannot afford, a military-industrial complex, and besides, How successful would asteroid tracking be? We'd never see many, if not most, of these rocks coming, and they wouldn't tell us anyway.

Canada, really?

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Rather have Canada then the US, they couldn't even stop three commercial airliners from causing hell, never mind tracking an asteroid.

I have listed a few of Canada's accomplishments below since AccessDenied is blind to it:

National Research Council Canada's engineer George Klein invented the Storable Tubular Extendable Member (or STEM, for short). It has been used on most of the early and current manned and unmanned space missions.

National Research Council Canada's Dominion Radio Astrophysical Observatory is designing and building a highly specialized supercomputer to upgrade and improve the world's largest radio telescope that is located in the USA.

National Research Council Canada's scientists invented and developed the Canadarm and the Space Vision System that is has been used on NASA space shuttle missions and the International Space Station

Canadian engineer Eugene Maynard, working for NASA in the USA, is considered to be the person at NASA most responsible for the design of the lunar module. The lunar module was the spacecraft that landed astronauts on the moon for all Apollo missions. It is also the spacecraft that allowed the Apollo 13 crew to remain alive and return safely after the explosion that forced them to cancel a landing on the moon.

Canadian research engineer Jim Chamberlin worked for Avro and was assigned to NASA in the USA. He became head of engineering for Project Mercury, the first American manned spacecraft. He not only helped build Mercury capsules, he also helped solve problems encountered during space flights. He was responsible for selecting the moon orbit approach for the Apollo missions rather than the expected direct flight from earth approach. He also helped to solve problems with the Apollo command and service modules.

...to name a few.

[edit on 14-11-2009 by Tomis_Nexis]

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Canada because I am a Canadian and I havent heard of a better high percentage solution yet,from anywhere else.

We dont know exactly what nukes would or wouldnt be able to do,we do know how to fight "fire with fire" though.This is not a simple concept by the way,but we can do it.
Yes,I had considered using space garbage already,thank you,and also harvesting asteroids already available in space.

But my focus is on a 100% solution that is close by and tactile.

Simple and effective.And right now the world as a whole needs something to come together over.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by one4all

right now the world as a whole needs something to come together over.

False flag alien 'threat' coming in 6...5...4...3...2...1...

I don't think it's possible to stop a major threat asteroid, meteor, or comet from striking Earth at the moment.

I think they suggest that deflection is better than destruction since some asteroids are held together by their own gravity and if you were to blow up one it would clump back together again.

I think at the moment we'd just have to take the damage or hope the extraterrestrials will do it for us

There's no way to stop nature... at the moment.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
We should be putting chains of up adjustable yield nukes for this.

Critical mass, not simple mass.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
Why do you suggest Canada?
Our contributions to the space program have been minimal at best...

Sure, it's not like every time you see them doing work outside of the shuttle...unloading cargo bays and such...you see a Canadian flag, right?
(Think Canadarm
)

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Dont forget DAVID HAMEL who has given the world real functioning flying saucers using free energy,and RICHARD BULL who if I got his name right DESIGNED A CANNON THAT COULD VERY CHEAPLY LOFT PAYLOADS INTO ORBIT INSTEAD OD USING ROCKET SHIPS.

You really have to google David Hamel,and accept that there is no way the US could ever be trusted again after covering up UFOs and FREE ENERGY. Canada is trusted worldwide and is capable of leading the way without starting a war.

And on that note it wouldnt matter if a cat from Switzerland chose to start the fire,its not about credit its about working together,see I am Canadian and I really feel that way.That should answer the question as to why Canada?

How big a rock would cause an extinction level event?
And how big a rock would we need to sink the other ball in the side pocket?

Who is good at math?

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I think ion engines could be a possibility.

Small spacecraft landing on the surface powered by nuclear batteries. Then use the thrusters to slowly change it's path. It would take time though, and in a worst case scenario, time would not be on our side. In that scenario, we would need brute force.

www.spaceweather.com... Tracks a lot of asteroids, and even provide an applet to track them with, and data to find them in a telescope - quite nifty actually, and a great source for space related info.

I really don't think launching a lot of mass and putting it in orbit is feasible at the moment. The sad thing is that we need a pretty devastating strike before anyone starts looking into this

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
The fact that the Asteroid will hit us is FACT THAT WE CAN STOP IT,forget about unstoppable acts of nature already,that is passing the buck to god and isnt being accountable ,we could reverse global warming if we worked as a species,we could control weather patterns and tides ,the whole enchillada,but only if we work together.

And yes Dorothy we can stop an Asteroid,in fact we can probably find a way to throw our own.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by one4all

Hmm, the math can actually be done using layman's terms.

The less time we have, the more energy we would need to deflect it's path. The hard parth of the math is predicting where it would go afterwards.

We can get the size and speed from telescope, and the weight by using best guess of composition. From there on it's pretty simple Newtonian high-school physics, with kinetic energy thrown in.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Awsome,the next step is parameters,how big a rock?500 foot diameter? five mile diameter?

We are aiming for a starting point of minimum size to create extinction sized event.We will build a bigger gun later.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Its seems all the canucks have gathered together to toot their own horn!! Most of the stuff on this thread that are alleged Canadian inventions I doubt anybody has really heard of them.

The Idea that we put an asteroid into orbit is crazy because none of the real scientists have developed a way to send that much mass to Low Earth Orbit for cheap.

The best bet to prevent an asteroid impact is to deflect the asteroid as mentioned above in an earlier post.

This could be done easily with a couple of nukes or in case of a large comet, a few dozen Tsar Bomba 50-100 Megaton Hydrogen bombs could be used to veer the comet away or break it apart into much smaller bits that could either vaporize in our atmosphere or at the very least minimize any real damage to the Earth.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
The American government sure has done the same thing in principal,have you ever heard of the "RODS OF GOD"tungsten rods directed at hard targets from high orbit creating nuclear sized devestation with no fallout that is radioactive.

Simple mass manipulated in space is equivilant to power .

The nukes are redundant for lots of reasons and unreliable.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
We wont be able to keep these in orbit for very long ,we will immediatly upon completion of the first one big enough to stop extinction sized events SEND IT OUT IN ONE OF THE FOUR DIRECTIONS we will need the headstart timewise so we are in a hurry here.The sooner we have our "GAURDIANS" on their way out away from earth the safer we are.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
There must be at least one American on the board that knows what looking for troubles is?

Thats what the "GUARDIANS ARE DESIGNED TO DO".

Go looking for trouble.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by one4all

I repeat myself. Launching that much mass is not feasible.

Nukes are not redundant or unreliable, sadly, it's the best we got at the moment.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
The simple answer is no!

Canada doesn't need to do anything in this regard because america and russia are more than capable of handling the situation, that is if they want to.

Launching rocks into space with the hope of deflecting asteriods is a retarded idea because all those rocks will eventually crash back to earth and cause more damage.

You want an effective solution? Put the star wars laser defense system to good use or at the very least use nukes launched from space.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join