It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Catholic Church gives D.C. ultimatum

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Catholic Church gives D.C. ultimatum

www.washingtonpost.com

The Catholic Archdiocese of Washington said Wednesday that it will be unable to continue the social service programs it runs for the District if the city doesn't change a proposed same-sex marriage law, a threat that could affect tens of thousands of people the church helps with adoption, homelessness and health care.Under the bill, headed for a D.C. Council vote next month, religious organizations would not be required to perform or make space available for same-sex weddings. But they would have to obey city laws prohibiting discrimination against gay men and lesbians
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Now how will this play out ? Should the Catholic church be attempting to dictate policy to D.C ? Should D.C put the church into a position that would almost force it into granting gay marriages ? Just what do they mean by " Under the bill, headed for a D.C. Council vote next month, religious organizations would not be required to perform or make space available for same-sex weddings. But they would have to obey city laws prohibiting discrimination against gay men and lesbians " ?

Would these laws still apply to the church if they weren't registered with the government and payed taxes ?

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Well, I have a simple cure.

If they refuse because of US law.....

Take away their group as a religion.

Take away their tax exception.

Tax the living daylights out of them.

Religious idiots should NEVER dictate law, else you end up like a M.E. country-sickening.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by mrmonsoon

Why should they be forced to hold same-sex marriages? Discrimination is never acceptable no matter who you are, but if the church doesn't want gay marriage then they shouldn't have to

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   

They are not dictating the law. They are just saying that they don't want to be forced to follow the rules regarding gays if they can avoid it. The only way to avoid the rules is to stop providng services.

The Catholic Church uses like $10million a year of its own money to subsidize these programs. If they choose to stop for any reason then they should be allowe to. It is their money and it is a free country.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I don't think they are dictating law, I think they are just saying they will stop doing things they have done for free if the government passes laws that force them to do things they feel are against their morals.

I'm sure this is fine with TPTB because it will be another step in removing social services provided by private (or religious) charities and makes the people more reliant on the government provided (and controlled) social services. Which puts TPTB in more control of the people.

[edit on 11/13/2009 by toepick]

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Wait...punish the church for standing up and refusing to "play along" in a system dead against what they preach?

You mean...if someone stands up and refuses to accept something that is totally a slap-in-the-face towards what they stand for...they should be punished?

HAHAHA!

NICE!

So what should the world do to to me if I do not buy, sell, accept or salute the MESSED UP system around me?

Never mind...don't answer. I think I may vomit right on you if you did.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Discriminating against a church because it cant accept the 'gay' phenomenon, thus being discriminatory itself, hmmmm a dark area to get into

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Now if DC were to make an amendment that these churches did not have to conduct gay marriages, would they still be against the law and try to force an ideal? Or would they accept that?

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   

"The city is saying in order to provide social services, you need to be secular. For us, that's really a problem."

In other words, if the city requires us to give aid to same sex couples, gay, and lesbian men and women, we will stop giving the service.

In other words, they are currently not offering any aid to said couples.

The Church has a moral objection to their existence, so be it, but that does not mean they are not human, and are not deserving of humanitarian services.

All gay and lesbian couples want is equal and fair treatment, which, if I'm not mistaken, is one of them inalienable rights I hear mention of so much.

If the church wishes to re neg on its humanitarian services within DC, that's the churches choice, but I would suggest those that go to such churches reconsider their membership.

After all, in Gods eyes, we are all the same, are we not?

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
alright catholic church wants to dictate policy them they can pay taxes just like every other multinational company.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Secularism! The church should stay the hell of how the government is run!

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
No, the church should not have the right to dictate law to D.C.

However, going with the same thought, D.C. has no right to tell the church whom they should and should not help.

This is what I have never understood. Everybody wants separation of church and state, but nobody wants to separate the money from the church from the state.

Why the hell should the church support what they view as sinners? This is not my personal opinion, but I'm not Catholic either.

Here we go again with this neverending view of "entitlement". I may not be Catholic, I may be a sinner, I may represent everything you preach against, but you have to give to me anyway. Give me a break.

Are we not forgetting that it is a choice whether or not to join a church or religeon? Are we not forgetting that it is also a choice whether or not to donate to said church or religeon?

Finally, since when does a tax status dictate whom a business/company has to serve? There are many tax exempt businesses that cater to one or a few select "types" of people.

Founded in 1944, the United Negro College Fund, Inc. (“UNCF”) is the nation’s oldest and most successful minority higher education assistance organization. Its mission is to strengthen access to education by providing financial assistance to deserving students, raising operating funds for UNCF’s 39 member colleges and universities and providing technical assistance to enhance the capabilities of UNCF member institutions.

UNCF, a New York not-for-profit corporation, is a tax-exempt 501(c)(3) charitable organization. You may obtain a copy of our official registration statement and financial report by writing us at 8260 Willow Oaks Corporate Drive, Post Office Box 10444, Fairfax, Virginia 22031 or calling 703-205-3400.

Link: 74.125.93.132...:shuODl7zKkcJ:www.uncf.org/doc/DisclosureD.doc+united+negro+college+fund+pay+taxes&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

The Catholic Church is a business, just as UNCF is. Neither pays taxes, neither gives to those they deem "not worthy".

So why should a religeous business be held to higher standards than any other business? By saying a church has the duty to help ALL, one is really saying that the basis of the church is rooted in good -- a debate that rages on this site as well as many others.

You can not claim that a church should be held to a higher standard without saying definitively that there is a "higher standard" to which it's answering....

You can't argue that "GOD" would want the church to help all persons regardless of race or religeon, without definitively saying there is a GOD...

Hopefully you can see where I am going with this.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
So much for "doing unto others." wow and to think I actually wanted to become one of them?

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Problem with religion is that it's tradition based.

Tradition never changes.

I don't agree that we should be forcing them to do anything.

On the same token they need to butt out of the policy making process.

In any case this will be one of those supreme court cases that will uphold their right to freedom of religion.

And it's not really discrimination if they say they don't allow it. That's how they do things. And it's perfectly allowable under the constitution.

The gay community would be better off served with their own gay church that would give them the freedom to marry. Maybe a pink Pope? This would trump many laws in this country that discriminate against them being married. And again this would be a supreme court case that they would win.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
They are not being forced at all.

All D.C. did was make it legal to have same sex marriage, it in no way is forcing the catholic church to do them.

Also, IMO, I feel they are trying to control government by making threats that they will stop their good will services.

I repeat, the correct answer is to threaten to remove their tax exception and label them a cult not a religion.

Originally posted by nine0099thousand

Why should they be forced to hold same-sex marriages? Discrimination is never acceptable no matter who you are, but if the church doesn't want gay marriage then they shouldn't have to

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Closing...
Please contribute to the previously existing discussion HERE

new topics

top topics

join