It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Just Following Orders" -- An illegitimate excuse to fight an illegitimate war

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Many of you would have seen the infamous thread recently made by Ulala entitled "To those who have served ... you're not all heroes". In fact a lot of you probably participated in tearing the OP apart. Though I agree he may have been asking for it, especially with his timing and all -- I do for the most part find myself in agreement with him. I flagged and starred his post -- and after seeing all the replies 'passionately' expressed within that thread, I feel the need to explain/defend my actions.

My reasons are quite simple. The excuse I often see being made by those defending the soldiers is that "they don't choose which wars to fight -- they're just following orders". Now it was my understanding that our elected officials served the people -- not the other way around. The founding fathers provided the people with the constitution. Our elected officials serve us by following the constitution, and the people ensure that the elected officials stick to the constitution. If they don't, the people kick them out. If need be, we have our soldiers to assist! It's intended purpose was to protect the freedoms & liberties of the people, no? I think it's important to note that the soldiers and the people are one and the same. It's the people that choose to serve as soldiers. So they do more than just represent the people, they are the people. When I lay any blame on the soldiers, really it's us, the common person that I refer to.

We've forgotten the true meaning of the word 'patriotism'. The problem is that we've allowed ourselves to stray too far away from those basic, simple principles. We've taken simplicity for granted and have allowed things to become far too complicated. The more complex things become, the more corrupt things become. For too long we've allowed the corrupt to grow and grow, to the point where they have the power to brainwash us, to control us. We have allowed for the corrupt to take control of us, and as a result, we ourselves have become corrupted.

The thing is many of us are beginning to wake up to this painful reality -- this very website is a testament to that fact, we are waking up. But the problem is we should be mad as hell -- yet we're not doing anything! We've opened our doors to a great evil that has taken advantage of us in our sleep... tools have been created out of us. Now we're awake, we're aware, we have the power and yet still we do absolutely nothing. Some of us cry, some of us whinge -- but for the majority we just go on living in ignorance, in darkness -- even after having seen the light.

Above any order, above any command -- the judgment of our own morals, our own principles -- that we all collectively hold -- should be prioritized above that of anything else. No one needs to tell us it's wrong to kill, and no one needs to tell us those rare occasions where it's necessary to kill. As for those of us who still cannot tell right from wrong, they're not fit to be in a position to have to make those decisions.

We as humans have evolved to a point where things really should be this simple. We may have strayed off course somewhat, but it's about time we start taking back responsibility and move forward once and for all. Our course will only be corrected in this world when we finally begin placing the blame on none other than ourselves -- and If that means in the form of our soldiers as well, so be it. I'm prepared to step up and take the heat for doing so if it means a small contribution to taking that one step closer towards a better world.

[edit on 12/11/09 by Navieko]

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Look the US government is corrupt. Our foreign policy is a direct reflection and extension of this corruption. US soldiers are the sole executioners of US foreign policy. Without young men and women laying down their lives for the US government our government would have no power. We have an all volunteer military force in the US for a reason. The reason that if wars were in fact unjust and go against our Constitution the people can say no more and pull the rug out from under our government. It's like voting. We as a country keep voting in the same corrupt, tyrannical puppets in congress and the White House. All the while we sit back and bitch and complain about how nothing ever changes and our country is going go hell in a hand basket. WELL VOTE THIRD PARTY!

I always use Ron Paul as an example. Here in this past election the US populace actually had someone running that would enact ACTUAL CHANGE! Now he may not be correct in everything he says nor is everything he says right. But overall he was the change we really need at a time like this. Instead we voted in a lame duck empty suit of a President. Who will go down in history as a do nothing piece of garbage bleeding this country dry like those before him.

We are all in this together.............the citizens, the troops. ALL OF US! America needs one big giant hiccup of change. And the easiest place to start is with the US military and our $600 billion defense budget.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Navieko

There is a difference, The O/P on the other thread, posted his topic on that day, he knew that it would cause upset amongst members, who have had relatives or loved ones who have fought in previous wars, and have been killed or injured as a result.

His timing is very ill judged in my book, but He is entitled to his opinion as I am entitled to mines, to disagree with him.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

In your opinion because of how you view the US military it's bad timing. For others it's perfect timing. It's an opportunity. It wasn't a malicious and hateful post. It was well thought out and well articulated, just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean it was an inappropriate time. It's like Columbus day. What better time to talk about the travesties perpetuated against Native Americans than that day? You (I'm assuming) are not Native American and neither am I. So to us it might seem inappropriate. But to them it's the best opportunity when it's fresh on people's minds.

[edit on 12-11-2009 by Zosynspiracy]

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

Since when was I referring to the US Military? Neither do I care about US history either, so you are once again deluding yourself.

Until you can come at me with an argument, wthout making false assumptions and accusation, quit while your ahead.

Seems you have a problem, I suggest you sort it out, rather than following my posts around ATS, comming up with wrong assumptions and accusations. It actually makes you look rather stupid.

[edit on 12-11-2009 by Laurauk]

new topics

top topics

join