It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doomsday, No Way - Nasa

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Nasa is soooo not concerned with 2012 that it's put up an FAQ page about it!

Read it and not weep!

Rest easy chaps, we're saved!

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Never A Straight Answer coming up with a straight answer?

Nevermind , we an all panic about the alien invasion that NASA seems to edit out of all their photos instead.

Phew after reading all that , I feel a lot safer knowing that NASA are really looking at space around a little world, shame they can't see more out there and then tell us about it instead of covering it up and hiding the truth as we are apparently not as smart nor as respsonible enough like the scientists NASA employs..
I wish I wasn't just a dumb civilian sometimes, oh wait I'm not , I'm a smart undertstanding truthful person who appreciates someone else telling the truth for once.

[edit on 11/11/09 by DataWraith]

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 03:33 AM
link   

. Our planet has been getting along just fine for more than 4 billion years,

Okey, I obviously don't live on the same planet as these NASA 'experts', wasn't there supposedly and asteriod nearly wiping every thing out just a short time ago (60 mill. years ca.) and Ice Ages and floods ????
Huge quakes... the list goes on !!

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 04:06 AM
link   
What a fluff article.

"Don't worry folks, lots of very serious looking people with white coats letters after their name say there is absolutely nothing to this 2012 nonsense, honest. Go about your business."

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 04:56 AM
link   
NASA is only for dreamers and fantasy makers...
Take HUBBLE for instance..What a toy that is...
No, wait...Its a Dickenhancer, the TRUE potential
has yet to be discoverd by its makers and users..

NASA only consumes taxdollars, there is not really
anything they do that comes to humanitys benefit..

NOW, prove me wrong..

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
NASA is a big fat joke. I mean come on, who believes those clowns? But when I read those answers they put up their page...grr.i would shoot them in the head and kill them...they are so deeply lieing it is just disgusting!

[edit on 11/11/09 by Cybernet]

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Do you people even stop to think before posting? Can't you have the very minimum of respect for other people?

Seriously, I'm getting sick of the lack of respect for others in this forums.

THINK before calling someone stupid.

You have to realize that in NASA there are regular people. People like you and me who do their daily work, that work on the NASA museums, that talk to the public, etc etc...

Regular jobs!!

Can you imagine, how they feel about this 2012 nonsense caused by a movie?

Their phones must be ringing all the time with idiots asking them abou the 2012, and how things happen in the movie, and how they read something like that in a forum called ATS (which we do appear under 2012 on google)...

Is really that hard to understand that maybe they created this so they could get some stupid questions rulled out?

Because.....you know what FAQ means....right? FREQUENT ASKED QUESTIONS!

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Sure NASA I believe anything you say or post on your website, since you guys have always been so honest and straight with EVERY SINGLE THING THAT HAPPENS OUT IN SPACE....

Save it NASA your words and statements means nothing in my BOOK..

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I'm glad NASA has at least made a comment regarding the 2012 topic, I'll be great if they made a Total debunk documentary. Before the 2012 move launch (too late now).

I still believe all this is just to make money and sell books.

Now we just got to get NASA to come clean on E.T & UFO's.

[edit on 11-11-2009 by SharkBait]

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I kinda feel sorry for NASA.

They probably put out that page so they dont have to answer any more paranoid calls and letters, lol

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by nomadros

I agree with NASA, 2012 is not doomsday and it has nothing to do with them being a credible source my own research into 2012 showed it to be nonsense years ago. 2012 is like a bad version of y2k, at least y2k attracted a handful of REAL scientists who were actually concerned about missiles and computer systems and what not.

It just irks me to no end the muddled new age babble and wild pseudoscientific theories that has been somehow melded to the end date for the Mayan long count and has NOTHING to do with the Mayans. I think NASA needs to put out better researched stuff and get some big BIG name scientists involved in debunking 2012 before its too late, the hysteria is reaching new heights with the approach of the movie and spreading beyond conspiracy circles into the general population.

Its getting to the point where no one will leave the house on Friday December 21st 2012, either that or there will be panic in the streets. Panic... but no doomsday, or perhaps our own panic about the day will cause us to somehow create doomsday on our own. Self-fulfilling prophecy...

What would NASA gain from lying on the subject of Doomsday?

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

NASA 2009 - "Nothing bad will happen to the Earth in 2012....credible scientists worldwide know of no threat associated with 2012."

Really NASA? Hmm.

NASA 2006 - Solar Storm Possibility "A storm is coming" - 2012:

March 10, 2006: It's official: Solar minimum has arrived. Sunspots have all but vanished. Solar flares are nonexistent. The sun is utterly quiet.

Like the quiet before a storm.

This week researchers announced that a storm is coming--the most intense solar maximum in fifty years. The prediction comes from a team led by Mausumi Dikpati of the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR). "The next sunspot cycle will be 30% to 50% stronger than the previous one," she says. If correct, the years ahead could produce a burst of solar activity second only to the historic Solar Max of 1958....In 1958 you couldn't tell that a solar storm was underway by looking at the bars on your cell phone; cell phones didn't exist. Even so, people knew something big was happening when Northern Lights were sighted three times in Mexico. A similar maximum now would be noticed by its effect on cell phones, GPS, weather satellites and many other modern technologies.

Dikpati's prediction is unprecedented. In nearly-two centuries since the 11-year sunspot cycle was discovered, scientists have struggled to predict the size of future maxima—and failed. Solar maxima can be intense, as in 1958, or barely detectable, as in 1805, obeying no obvious pattern....

Like most experts in the field, Hathaway has confidence in the conveyor belt model and agrees with Dikpati that the next solar maximum should be a doozy. But he disagrees with one point. Dikpati's forecast puts Solar Max at 2012. Hathaway believes it will arrive sooner, in 2010 or 2011...

Who's right? Time will tell. Either way, a storm is coming." - science.nasa.gov...

The next sunspot cycle will be 30-50% stronger than the last one and begin as much as a year late....The scientists expect the cycle to begin in late 2007 or early 2008, which is about 6 to 12 months later than a cycle would normally start. Cycle 24 is likely to reach its peak about 2012. - www.ucar.edu...

More recently the predictions have been that the cycle around the 2012 period might be weaker than anticipated - but then I'd say that too if I'd been warned not to cause a global panic LOL. And what do they really know anyway? they are struggling to get the years right for the cycles, so I don't really trust them regarding their predictions of intensity either. Especially as they are continually changing:

NASA -New Solar Cycle Prediction

May 29, 2009: An international panel of experts led by NOAA and sponsored by NASA has released a new prediction for the next solar cycle. Solar Cycle 24 will peak, they say, in May 2013 with a below-average number of sunspots.

Below average now? That's quite a turn around from the previous NASA predictions given when we were at a rather more comfortable distance from 2012 LOL. They continue:

"It is tempting to describe such a cycle as "weak" or "mild," but that could give the wrong impression. "Even a below-average cycle is capable of producing severe space weather," points out Biesecker. "The great geomagnetic storm of 1859, for instance, occurred during a solar cycle of about the same size we’re predicting for 2013."

Note the year keps changing: 2011, 2012, 2013. Oh so this 2012 period cycle could be a "bad thing that will happen to the earth"? Gulp. How bad?

The 1859 storm--known as the "Carrington Event" after astronomer Richard Carrington who witnessed the instigating solar flare--electrified transmission cables, set fires in telegraph offices, and produced Northern Lights so bright that people could read newspapers by their red and green glow. A recent report by the National Academy of Sciences found that if a similar storm occurred today, it could cause $1 to 2 trillion in damages to society's high-tech infrastructure and require four to ten years for complete recovery. For comparison, Hurricane Katrina caused "only" $80 to 125 billion in damage.

Note how the effect is given in terms of financial cost, not effect to human life without power, communication etc

The latest forecast revises an earlier prediction issued in 2007. At that time, a sharply divided panel believed solar minimum would come in March 2008 followed by either a strong solar maximum in 2011 or a weak solar maximum in 2012. Competing models gave different answers, and researchers were eager for the sun to reveal which was correct.

Translation: Lots of people guessed and we won't know until it happens.

"It turns out that none of our models were totally correct," says Dean Pesnell of the Goddard Space Flight Center, NASA's lead representative on the panel. "The sun is behaving in an unexpected and very interesting way."

You have to laugh...but don't worry, "Nothing bad will happen to the earth in 2012"

Researchers have known about the solar cycle since the mid-1800s. Graphs of sunspot numbers resemble a roller coaster, going up and down with an approximately 11-year period. At first glance, it looks like a regular pattern, but predicting the peaks and valleys has proven troublesome. Cycles vary in length from about 9 to 14 years. Some peaks are high, others low. The valleys are usually brief, lasting only a couple of years, but sometimes they stretch out much longer. In the 17th century the sun plunged into a 70-year period of spotlessness known as the Maunder Minimum that still baffles scientists.

Translation: 'We don't really know s***. But...'nothing bad will happen to the earth is 2012".

Right now, the solar cycle is in a valley--the deepest of the past century. In 2008 and 2009, the sun set Space Age records for low sunspot counts, weak solar wind, and low solar irradiance. The sun has gone more than two years without a significant solar flare.

"In our professional careers, we've never seen anything quite like it," says Pesnell. "Solar minimum has lasted far beyond the date we predicted in 2007."

Uh---------oh. That sounds ominous.

Wow there predictions aren't really worth much are they. Except this one, of course: "Nothing bad will happen to the earth in 2012"

In recent months, however, the sun has begun to show timorous signs of life. Small sunspots and "proto-sunspots" are popping up with increasing frequency. Enormous currents of plasma on the sun’s surface ("zonal flows") are gaining strength and slowly drifting toward the sun’s equator. Radio astronomers have detected a tiny but significant uptick in solar radio emissions. All these things are precursors of an awakening Solar Cycle 24 and form the basis for the panel's new, almost unanimous forecast.

Oh goody! A whole panel of people - sponsored by NASA - who admit they don't really know s*** and agree that the world could come to a complete standstill around 2012, are now 'unaninous'! ('almost') Cool!

There could be more surprises, panelists acknowledge, and more revisions to the forecast. "Go ahead and mark your calendar for May 2013," says Pesnell. "But use a pencil." - science.nasa.gov...

Yeah, and make sure it has an eraser on it and keep it handy, along with a candle and some matches, so you can see to rub it out and write "NASA sucks!" when the power goes down across the globe during Christmas 2012 and looters are downstairs stealing your Christmas presents LOL

[edit on 11-11-2009 by Malcram]

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
BTW I have no opinion about what might or might not actually happen around 2012. My last post was lighthearted and meant to point out that NASA doesn't really know either. However I felt their claim that "Nothing bad will happen to the earth in 2012" was a rather silly proclamation, and that to say "credible scientists worldwide know of no threat associated with 2012." was rather less than honest. They are just trying to quell fears.

Good ol' NASA eh?

[edit on 11-11-2009 by Malcram]

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
4. A Christmas Carol
3.The 4th Kind
2.Men Who Stare At Goats
1.Ft Hood

Army War College and PSYOP universities are just having some fun. Relax...the study is almost complete.

We want to see what you do with fear, real and imaginary. Humans change so must the studies we conduct.
-scientist

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I thought it was already proven that the year in question is NOT 2012 but a couple hundred beyond that due to errors in interpreting the calendar?

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by nomadros
Nasa is soooo not concerned with 2012 that it's put up an FAQ page about it!

Thank goodness they confirmed Nibiru was a myth, and the bogus nature of all the other 2012 claims, but I think there's an error in their document:

www.nasa.gov...

However, many of the disaster websites pull a bait-and-shift to fool people. They claim a relationship between the rotation and the magnetic polarity of Earth, which does change irregularly, with a magnetic reversal taking place every 400,000 years on average. As far as we know, such a magnetic reversal doesn’t cause any harm to life on Earth. A magnetic reversal is very unlikely to happen in the next few millennia, anyway.

"As far as we know, such a magnetic reversal doesn’t cause any harm to life on Earth" sounds like an outrageous claim to me. They confirm the magnetic reversals DO happen, but the question is how suddenly. If the reversal of the Earth's magnetic field manifests as a gradual weakening of the field before it completely reverses, won't this weakened magnetic field in the transitional "flipping period" cause a decrease in the effectiveness of the Earth's magnetic field's shielding effect? The van allen belts which are radiation trapped and routed around the earth by the magnetic fields wouldn't be as effective, or if the magnetic field went to zero, the van allen belts might disappear completely for a time until the magnetic field finished flipping, right? And during that time we'd be bombarded with solar radiation we are normally protected from.

The link doesn't show the name of an author so we can't verify credentials for the accuracy of this claim, but as far as I know, a reversal of the Earth's magnetic field certainly has the potential to pose a radiation risk to all life on the Earth's surface during the transitional period. Once the reversal has finished and the north pole and the south pole have completely reversed, then we should again have the same protection from the radiation we do now.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Personally, I don't really care what Nasa believes or doesn't believe and my viewpoint is I don't believe in 2012 stuff. What I find really cool is that the force of the internet has caused Nasa to address a "concern" that people have. Whether that "concern" is valid or fanciful is another matter. In this case "The Man" has responded to "the people" which means that forums such as ATS are worthwhile and not just a chatting space for the unhinged.

IMVHO

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by nomadros

Personally, I don't really care what Nasa believes or doesn't believe and my viewpoint is I don't believe in 2012 stuff. What I find really cool is that the force of the internet has caused Nasa to address a "concern" that people have. Whether that "concern" is valid or fanciful is another matter. In this case "The Man" has responded to "the people" which means that forums such as ATS are worthwhile and not just a chatting space for the unhinged.

IMVHO

It's a nice change for NASA to actually LISTEN to the little people who pay their funding, and that the 'contraversy' of the 2012 panic has made them respond to the publics concerns.
Now all they need to do IS listen to all the little people who've been asking about UFO's and Aliens for the last 30 years or so and actually give them a truthful answer , Oh I'm sorry they've lied about it for so long they can't tell the truth.

Little boy crying wolf anyone?

And IF that is the case why is it I have never heard of this 'dwarf planet' Eris before this thread? , is it on any solar system maps? or is it of no concern or 'unplanetary' like Pluto ? and even that was declassifed as a non planet recently?

If its in orbit and bigger than the moon that makes it a planet in my book unless it looks like an asteroid , comet, or sun/star of course. ( ie, if its roundish and not looking like a rock then its a planet.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Malcram

Great so there will be no mass extinction. Look dude your grasping at straws.
So worst case scenario the lights go out doesnt mean mass extinction.

No proof of a solar flare wiping out life has EVER been found.

Stop watching movies like the KNOWING if you cant tell fact from fiction

So here we have it ole Nasa caught up in the damn if they do damn if they dont scenario.

If they dont say anything they are hiding the truth if they do say something its a lie and a cover up their is just no winning with paranoid pseudoscience 2012ers.

In fact the only winners are the scare mongers profiting from books and videos. By 2012 they will be sailing around the world in their yacht on Dec 21 laughing at those of you who paid for it.

USE SOME LOGIC. The best way to know if 2012 is being covered up is all of a sudden people in power disappear or do abnormal stuff. Then you will know somethings up.

[edit on 12-11-2009 by fallenearth]

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
NASA SHOW US ALL THE DATA ALL THE DATA and then we can rap, otherwise im going on instinct. NOt sure its excatley 2012 may even be before. SMH @ them taking orders and really trying to minipulate the minipulator no thanks. I will just enjoy the pretty pictures the let me see every now and then and be me.

I will mabey listen if they speak truth of the OCEANS!

[edit on 11/12/09 by Ophiuchus 13]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join