It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can We Still Learn From The Bible And Live It Today

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
live what we learnLive What We Learn... I have come to the belief that just because a person begins their Bible studies with a humble attitude and proceed to keep reading the Scriptures intently doesn't mean one will continue this approach and get the understanding/wisdom they seek.

The Bible shows that some who come to an understanding/wisdom of certain basic revealed spiritual truths will LOSE that comprehension because they do not ACT on them. By rejecting wisdom/knowledge revealed by God, they choose to exalt their own point of view over that of their Creator. They no longer allow the mirror of God's Word to show them what they need to change (James 1:22-25).

So what does this mean? Understanding and obedience reinforce each other. We must approach God with a prayerful, humble attitude - one desiring to both learn and heed His instructions. This right attitude leads to obedience of His laws, which form much of the foundation of the Bible.

Psalm 119:34 expresses this proper motivation: "Give me understanding, and I shall keep your law; indeed I shall observe it with my whole heart." We see, then, that applying what we learn from God's Word is necessary, along with a humble approach. In fact, we must begin to live what we learn for God to grant us continual understanding.

If we refuse to accept the understanding/wisdom that God reveals to us, He ceases to give us more of it. God explains this principle: "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I also will reject you..." (Hosea 4:6).

For us to understand the Bible, we must first to learn and respect God's law. In Psalm 111:10 "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; a good understanding have all those who DO His commandments." So if we really want to come to a better understanding of the Bible, we need to heed and follow what we already understand and change our ways accordingly as we learn more.

Therefore, to understand revealed spiritual truths requires the vital key of faithful obedience to Gos's perfect laws and instruction as shown in Holy Scripture,

Obey God's Word and prove it right. Put God's Word to the test by practicing the things you are learning. Acknowledge how His ways bring positive change in your life. The best way to determine that God's commands and teachings bring true peace and blessings is by living them (Psalm 111;10; john 3;22; John 10:10; 8:31-32; Malachi 3:10).

Hold fast. Once you have proven something to be true, don't allow yourself to be lightly convinced out of it. While new evidence may overturn your previous conclusion, this must be the product of serious study in God's Word. And always be ware, because false teachers can lead you astray. Ask God to help you remain true to His teachings (1 Thessalonians 5:21; 2 Timothy 3:13-16; Colossians 1:22-23; Psalm 119:10-16).

We must develop an enduring love for the truth of God as revealed in Scripture - a LOVE that will DRIVE us to always study and FOLLOW it.

Peace to all,
Grandma

join