It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kids think Hitler was a 'football coach'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

Is 9 too young to learn about genocide?

Not if the lesson is given in an age appropriate manner.

But, hey, is 5 too young to learn about gay sex?

Mod Note: Please stay on Topic – Review This Link.

[edit on Sun Nov 8 2009 by Jbird]

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
i think the only thing this "poll" didnt show was the average age of the children... to me it sounds like they were asking 4th graders...

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Typical result of a Labour government education policy - do not teach children proper and effective history.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

As an aside, I'd rather children learned how to be loving (to people of the same sex or otherwise) rather than how to be cruel. Either way it's pretty redundant because my daughter did not get sex education at the age of 5 anyway...

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Typical result of a Labour government education policy - do not teach children proper and effective history.

The conservatives were in control when I was in school and I did not get taught about WW2 until secondary school, nothing has changed.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Goathief

Really?

I was taught about the wars in primary school, under Major's administration.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
reply to post by Goathief

Really?

I was taught about the wars in primary school, under Major's administration.

Really. The only time it was mentioned was in passing, or if it tied in with something else such as certain pieces of Andy Warhol's artwork. Not that I didn't know about it anyway as I was a plane buff who liked war films and the like - but there we go.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
All i ever got taught in history lessons was World War Two, Nazi Germany, Nazi Policy, Adolf Hitler etc etc.

I must have spent half of my life studying all things Nazi related.

History as a subject was a contradiction in terms for me. It may as well be called World War Class, that is all we were ever taught.

Depressing i know

Peace.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by vor78
In fairness, its one in 20. How stupid is the bottom 5% in any society? Pretty damn stupid.

Half the people you know have an IQ below 100. Now, that's scary.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
The funny thing is that hitlers fav team in german footie, did pretty well, lol.

So maybe its not all that false what kids are feeling, who knows, he may have had a hand in something there.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

It is common in Germany to learn at that age about the holocaust.
translate.google.com... ory_state0=

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Regenstorm

This is insane! Don't they get any history lessons in school?

They do but they only get taught about the holocaust and how the nazis killed the jews.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Regenstorm

This is insane! Don't they get any history lessons in school? I think that it's a general problem. Education is getting worse and worse, not only are kids learning only one side of the story, they get less and less educated and have almost no common knowledge or self awareness.

I don't see the fuss. Do 9 to 11 year olds need to know about the second world war? Isn't there time for that later? There are only so many school hours in the day. How relevent is knowing who Hitler was? To a nine year old? I think someone at the Sun was bored and decided to create yet another pointless survey. Another slow news week!

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Maybe the whole blitz thing has them confused.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I'm 23 but I have noticed that the new generation of kids these days don't seem to act like they know much about anything of history, even recent history....it's strange. I see a lot of "who's this, what's that? what's world war 2? ..Who's Bill murray?...Who's ghandi?

Being unknowledgeable is the cool thing these days. It's like you gotta be dumb to fit in lol. Or your a "neek" or a geek etc

BUT saying that, 1 in 20 isn't that much. If you pick any group of 20 people, there's always going to be one who just doesn't give a crap. Not everyone likes learning the same things.

[edit on 6-11-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by radarloveguy

You mean to tell me that this guy...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f52a8bb087b1.jpg[/atsimg]

Didn't write The Sea-Gull?

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by djon01

Children 9-11 don't really have the cognitive development to deal with the abstractions you mention, nor should they have to.

There are the fundamentals of education that can come before one engages children in the politics , propaganda, and ideologies of war. When they are have the cognitive, psychological, and educational tools to deal with these issues, then the lessons of WWII will be better understood.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join