It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More than 3 Million Registered Voters are Dead, 12 Million More Ineligible, Analysis Finds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Just in time for Election Day!! I still get voter registration cards for a person who lived in my house 8 years ago. I know for a fact that person now lives in North Carolina and not in Ohio. I have brought this to the attention of my local BOE and still no change. For some reason, they have me registered twice. With and without my middle name. I only registered ONCE! I can't wait for tomorrow!!

Regardless of how lively an election season might be, a new study shows that more 3.3 million voters on current registration rolls across the country are dead.

Another 12.9 million remain on voter registration lists in an area where they no longer live.

The analysis was conducted by the Aristotle International Inc., a technology company
specializing in political campaigns, developing software and databases for politicians.

In total that means about 8.9 percent of all registered voters fall under the category of “deadwood” voters on the rolls, the term for voters who should no longer be eligible to vote in a precinct.

Not only does this raise concerns about potential voter fraud, but from the interest of campaign consultants, ineligible or expired voters could lead to a waste of resources, said John Aristotle Phillips, CEO of Aristotle.

“Some states have bigger problems than others,” Phillips said. “With deadwood exceeding one in seven votes in some counties, candidates might as well spend a day a week campaigning in the cemetery.”

Among the findings, the study showed that states with the most “deadwood” voters were Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Washington, West Virginia and Wyoming.

* In Massachusetts, 116,483 registered voters are dead, 3.38 percent of the state’s total of registered voters. Another 538,567, or 15.6 percent, had moved to an area outside of where they are registered to vote.

* In New Hampshire, there are 18,816 dead people on the voter registration rolls, or 2.5 percent of the total registered voters. There are 105,472 voters that have moved outside of the area where they are registered to vote.

* The analysis showed that Washington State had 27,267 dead voters who were still registered, just 0.7 percent of the total number of registered voters. Another 332,510 had moved out of the area they are registered to vote in, or 8.73 percent of the total registered voters.

* West Virginia had 72,717 dead voters on the registration rolls, or 6.74 percent of the total registered voters in the state. Another 141,352 voters had moved, or 13 percent.

* In Wyoming, 7,723 registered voters (3.68 percent) are dead, while 45,547 (21.69 percent) had moved.

* The state with the fewest problems percentage wise is North Carolina. There, 3.5 percent of registered voters are dead – 216,036. Meanwhile, 30,888 had moved out of the designated voting area, or about 0.5 percent.

Nationally, 1.87 percent of registered voters are dead, while 7.2 percent of voters do not live where they are registered.

“Deadwood on voters rolls complicates the electoral process and can cause problems like fraud and vote miscounts,” Phillips said. “It always creates a perception of low voter turnout. It gets down to this: by depressing turnout, dead voters make the rest of us look bad.”

cnsnews.com...

[edit on 2-11-2009 by jibeho]

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 07:07 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   
That's wild. In my area they seem to keep up with this stuff very well. Is it my imagination or did we have less problems when the league of women voters ran the booths?

Without chipping us, or doing something that would pretty much intrude on our privacy we'll always have problems like this.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I don't know... I'm from Chicago, so this sort of thing strikes me as being routine. As the old Mayor Daley used to say, "Vote early and often". OK, maybe he didn't say it, but someone did... And just because your uncle Joe died, doesn't mean he can't still vote.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Was this study done before or after ACORN falsely registered thousands of people in the last Pres. election?

And I'm sure it's hard to keep the registrations current. People are always dieing and moving. I would not want to be overseeing that effort.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Seiko

Unfortunately for me, I live in Cuyahoga County and we were visited by the ACORN faeries this last election cycle. Not to mention our never ending supply of corrupt county officials.

www.cbsnews.com...

Figures in Cuyahoga County corruption probe live lavishly, profit from taxpayer contracts
blog.cleveland.com...

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

You have evidence to support that claim? That acorn in fact did register people illegally?

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Seiko

11 people were arrested in Florida and the FBI is investigating ACORN as a whole. In Las Vegas an ACORN person pled guilty to voter fraud.

link
link

There are a lot more "alleged" cases as well. If you actually believe these were isolated incidents and not going on all over ACORN then that is your naive decision.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

The first link is broken, the second works. Says a worker tried to pass off forged signatures on registration cards.

So I ask again, any evidence that acorn registered people to vote illegally?

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seiko
Without chipping us, or doing something that would pretty much intrude on our privacy we'll always have problems like this.

I would think that if blue ink on the finger can work for Afghanistan, it could work for us. I mean, it doesn't matter how many people are registered, if a person only votes once, right?

It's frustrating that the most technologically advanced country in the world can't even hold a legitimate election. What makes me suspicious is that the banks are able to keep track of millions of people's money down to the PENNY. Why can't we have an election where each person votes just ONCE?

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

We also have the problem of the diebold machines. I like the concept you propose, but in our country you have to register to vote. So the blue finger also will not work.

I think return to paper ballots, all hand counted will help solve a lot of the voter fraud in this country. I would also like to see an open way to track it. It doesn't have to have each person's name, but say when you voted you got a number that you could look up online to verify your vote was counted as you cast it.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Star my friend, I agree.

It's a Catch 22 really. Voter fraud will always occur unless we adopt a method to keep track of an individuals voting.

All someone has to do is have a fake ID and a Voter Registration card from several different precincts in their area. Make their way to each precinct, produce the required documentation, and submit their vote.

However ..

We could start a program that would link each individual to their respective ballot. We could require that each voter mark their ballot with their thumbprint. Set up the ballot machines so that it will read and record the thumbprint. This would halt fraudulent voting, because if the same thumbprint were to be scanned on another ballot, the voting results for that ballot would be void and the individual could be tracked down and arrested.

However ..

I have a feeling that a lot of people would a problem with such a method, including many here on ATS. Myself not included, because I don't see a problem with it. The same idea is already in place at a lot of retailers that require a person to put their thumbprint on the back of a check when cashing it.
Some people might complain about the thumbprint could be used to track how each person voted which could lead to targeting individuals to be swayed into each parties favor for the next voting go around. The ballot machines could be set up to record the votes and record the thumbprint, but the information would be recorded and stored seperately without linking the person to their vote.

However ..

I personally do not have any problems with my vote being recorded and linked to myself. I understand the idea that voting should be, like it always has been, an anonymous decision. But in order for any voting information to be accurate and without the chance of fraud, each persons vote should be recorded. The current system has too many open avenues that can be exploited. Driver's license, voter registration, and social security cards can all be falsified which could be used to cast a fraudulent vote. Fingerprints can not be falsified, thus religating those exploited avenues closed.

The practice of inking someones finger blue in the middle east because they voted is the equivilent to the "I Voted" stickers we receive here in the U.S. and can not be used to protect against fraud.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Um okay...but um do the dead people actually vote? Where's it say that? I mean a lot of people die every year and I don't think voter registration gets notified in too timely a fashion? Maybe I'm missing something here...

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
Um okay...but um do the dead people actually vote? Where's it say that? I mean a lot of people die every year and I don't think voter registration gets notified in too timely a fashion? Maybe I'm missing something here...

Ask the JFK election.
If it had not been for dead people in Il. he never would have won. Lot of historical links out there on it.

new topics

top topics

join