It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Web pioneer recalls 'birth of the Internet'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   

It was 1969 and a busy year for making history: Woodstock, the Miracle Mets, men on the moon -- and something less celebrated but arguably more significant, the birth of the Internet.

On October 29 of that year, for the first time, a message was sent over a computer network. Leonard Kleinrock, a professor of computer science at the University of California-Los Angeles, connected the school's host computer to one at Stanford Research Institute, a former arm of Stanford University.

Forty years ago today, the Internet may have uttered its first word.

CNN.com

So it all started 40 years ago today. Just think, if that hadn't happened, we may not be here on ATS.
I know, those are scary words, but it did happen and look at what the internet has become today.

[edit on 29-10-2009 by elevatedone]

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
The article in the OP implies that was birth of the Web -- it was not. Of the network, yes, of the Web - no. There is a big difference. There were networks like DECNET and BITNET that used these technologies, but the Web is a different thing altogether.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

I wasn't aware...

However

DECnet is a suite of network protocols created by Digital Equipment Corporation, originally released in 1975 in order to connect two PDP-11 minicomputers. It evolved into one of the first peer-to-peer network architectures, thus transforming DEC into a networking powerhouse in the 1980s.

Source

BITNET was a cooperative U.S. university network founded in 1981 by Ira Fuchs at the City University of New York (CUNY) and Greydon Freeman at Yale University. The first network link was between CUNY and Yale.

Source

The article is talking about what happened in 1969.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

I would look into them having the REAL FIRST WORKING NETWORKING SYSTEM.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

Yes, that's what I meant. The research in 1969 lead to idea of switched networks and such. But it's a mistake to call those "the Web".

top topics

join