It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Cannot Accept Nobel Prize Without Congress

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
The irony here is that Obama himself claims to have studied and taught classes on the US Constitution! So if anyone should know this, it is him.

In his speech yesterday about Guantanamo Detainees, President Obama talked about the relevance of the U.S. Constitution, more than 200 years after it was drafted by America’s Founding Fathers.

“I have studied the Constitution as a student; I have taught it as a teacher; I have been bound by it as a lawyer and legislator,” Obama said. “I took an oath to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution as Commander-in-Chief, and as a citizen, I know that we must never – ever – turn our back on its enduring principles for expedience sake.”

blogs.america.gov...

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
With all the crap that is happening in the USA, so many of you are appalled that Obama was awarded the Nobel Prize? I don't get it.

He didn't name himself the recipient. Get off his ass. It would be rude of him to not accept it.

But some of you nut cases will take an opportunity like this to jump all over someone.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by robwerden

Yet another violation of the Constitution.
Lets see how he gets him self out of this one.

If the prize is coming from the nobel committee which is appointed by the goverment of Norway, then this is a direct violation of the constitution.

Article I, Section 9, of the Constitution, the emolument clause, states: "And no person holding any office of profit or trust under them, shall, without the consent of the Congress, accept of any present, emolument, office or title, of any kind whatever, from any king, prince or foreign state."

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

no it's not, you think a democratic congress is not going to give their consent?? once they do it's perfectly legal.
and if the republicans try and stop them...how many americans do you think will go for that...how childish will they look...and besides he already pledged to give the money to charity...what a bunch of sore losers you guys are...go out to recess and play and leave the adults alone.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by robwerden

from any king, prince or foreign state."

thank you for providing the key peice of evidence here....

exactly what king, prince, or foreign state is he accepting it from?

It does not say a foreign citizen. Its saying a foreign state. No Presidents, no dictators, no government officials from another country, etc.

Your article is false.
The republican nit wit who wrote the letter needs to learn to read before stirring the pot a bit more.

But these desperate displays of sheer willful ignorance are quite amusing.

Will make for some comical relief on the daily show.

So what exactly makes a 'state' a 'state'??

* Has space or territory which has internationally recognized boundaries (boundary disputes are OK).
* Has people who live there on an ongoing basis.
* Has economic activity and an organized economy. A country regulates foreign and domestic trade and issues money.
* Has the power of social engineering, such as education.
* Has a transportation system for moving goods and people.
* Has a government which provides public services and police power.
* Has sovereignty. No other State should have power over the country's territory.
* Has external recognition. A country has been "voted into the club" by other countries.

source

How does an appointed committee of people equate to a foreign state?

Just because the Norwegian Nobel Committee is selected BY a government - does not make it a foreign state and is not directly representative of its own government.

Much in the way here in Illinois, our Governor (when not behind bars) appoints board members to the University of Illinois.

That does not make the U of I a government facility or a state in its self.

This is another illogical attack by the conservative fringe whacko's in an effort to further stupefy the nation and convince those without a desire to fact check that Obama is the devil.

[edit on 27-10-2009 by Snarf]

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Much Ado About Nothing in my opinion.

So he won a Nobel prize. So what.

en.wikipedia.org...

Last time I checked Nobel left money to fund the nobel organization.
It's not a government agency afaik.
I don't see why he can't recieve the prize.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join