It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many smokers and drinkers find home here on ATS?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I have taken mental note of many smokers and "drinkers" here on ATS and I wonder, honestly what kind of static factors we ATS'ers have in common. Seriously do [we] all share more of the same addictions besides the search for truth then meets the eye? Or are we so different as to place little importance on our vices, I'd like to hear your thoughts....

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
ive struggled with alcoholism for about a year or so now, and of course that comes with the addiction to cigarettes.

Evil things they are but boy do i want a drink when i get home from work.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   
i thoroughly enjoy smoking... yet not tobacco!

only a substance that has been outlawed for 89 years and amongst us for thousands

opened my mind in which i am able to see different aspects and angles.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by alyosha1981

both counts guilty as charged.

same as youngmind

america

i love freedom

[edit on 26-10-2009 by knightsof0ld]

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Cigarettes are my big problem. I chain smoke pretty often. And now more as i get older, i need coffee before i can even get out of the house.

woohoo

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I wouldn't consider myself an alky, but I do drink alot

Speak of the devil I am now!

But definitely a hardcore cig smoker, I could give up drinking, eating, and possibly my phone, but cigs and sex, never!

I'm curious though, what's the point of this thread?

I think I know what it is, but just trying to pick your brain back!

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by youngmind311
i thoroughly enjoy smoking... yet not tobacco!

only a substance that has been outlawed for 89 years and amongst us for thousands

opened my mind in which i am able to see different aspects and angles.

Hope you don't take this the wrong way, but my job does tend to take me around the world alot. In any case im very liberal when it comes to pharmaceutical approved medication but outlawed by many nations. The point being is and i hope i do not antagonize you in any way, but i spent last two weeks and was a frequent visitor of the Bulldog coffee shop. But everything needs to be taken with moderation.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
nice way for the government to control society. Get them hooked on cigarettes and alcohol. Sorry but I don't smoke or drink. I used to smoke for a while in my teenage years and then finding out that your genitalia won't work when your in your mid 30s and 40s.. so I eventually made myself to quit. Drinking - I gave up due the amount of problems it creates in society. People are usually more happy without it.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by alyosha1981

The responses to this thread need to tread lightly...

I'm quite the proponent of posting while in a different state of mind...it would be a fair generalization to say that posting under the influence guarantees some entertaining and provocative responses.

At times you can tell when a member is 'themselves' and get some nifty and witty remarks straight-off-the-cuff...at other times, you wish members had to blow into a breathalyzer before being given access to the site (bad idea IMO btw).

Ya buddy! A few Stellas and a shot of GG bring out the best in anyone...

Probably good for site traffic as well...

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I would say the numbers are quite higher than what people would think.

For some it could be a coping mechanism in dealing with knowledge/awareness that goes beyond what the "normal" people deal with in their daily lives.

For others CT could be a topic of discussion among the already outcasts, since many smokers are either in a smoking room or forced outside by management/local laws.

Just recently, I have been talking with a woman from India that is near my age. Topics have included 2012, meditation/transcendental and comparative religion as a part of 2012. I think she was impressed that I even knew of Kali and Shiva and their return.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   
I smoke a lot and am a heavy drinker. Though it doesn't interfiere with my postings here

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Well, I'm not exactly an alcoholic (if only because i refuse to attend the meetings) but yeah, I smoke and drink.

But I don't think it's actually anymore wide spread on ATS, I think (based on my own experience and nothing else) that there is an insecure tendency to joke and boast about things that you know you'd quit if you were a stronger person, and that this is more pronounced when given the security of annonymous interaction with strangers.

And not too many people go out of their way to say that they don't smoke or drink (and if they did all it would get them is a snide remark from me about why they didn't say anything about not wetting their pants), so that's kind of an unknown quantity that makes a comparison of proportions between ATS and the general public a bit difficult.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   
I don't smoke..can't stand it actually...but I drink my fair share.
I could be the postergirl for Polar Ice vodka.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 07:04 AM
link   
I smoke... a lot.
but I don't drink at all.

According to my doc I had an addiction to codeine several years ago, according to me I was not addicted, I just didn't feel normal without.
I still take them in a lower dose but only with severe migraines or when other meds don't do the trick.

Funny how I quit that from one day to another and I can't quit smoking.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I don't do either, I hate smoking and I only used to drink from about age 14 to 19 stopped since then as I never really enjoyed it and I cant say I like the taste of anything if i'm being honest.

Oh I have drank shandy made with grolsch though but barely colors the lemonade if that counts
so?

[edit on 27-10-2009 by valiant]

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I drink and smoke but mostly when I am at work. I work in a bar and well for me its the environment. I get paid to party basically so I have a good time. I dont drink at home or when I am not workng. My roommate always teases me about how I never want to have a drink with him but I am not really a big drinker outside of work..Now at work I am the jager queen
give me my jager and I am happy
As for smoking I smoke more at work than at home. Yesterday I had about 4 cigs and thats it. I will go days without them and it wont phase me, but if I am at work I will smoke and drink... a lot.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracyrus
Evil things they are but boy do i want a drink when i get home from work.

That's not necessarily alcoholism as I would define it. Personally I would say that the fact you are aware of that after a year or so is more of an 'awareness' if you felt like drinking is a problem then now is always the time to understand why you like a drink -- (I know, that phrase gets banged around a lot, it's true tho).

Quantify any problems and address them - or do what I do and just carry on drinking... But at least that's my choice

For instance if you finish work, go home and drink till you sleep - get up go to work and repeat a simple change in routine would help - drink down the boozer but only take a tenner and no cash card - easy (unless like me people just buy you drinks cos your a great drunk).

I like a drink (lots) but if I ever see the point where I will have to stop forever I have to make serious proactive measures... No way in hell I'm quitting! - I just make changes to my routines and stuff, limit my intakes and I usually change career direction as well (I do that a lot
- makes me a well rounded and broke individual who, unless hitting it big somehow, will grow old(er) broke :bnghd: )

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Never been a smoker....of any kind. Hate it intensely, actually.

However...the alcohol CAN be a problem...

There's a term I just heard recently, I think it's in the "Urban Dictionary" (?) ---- "drailing"

Got it yet? OK...here's the def....'drunk emailing' (could apply to blogging, as well...must be why I get those pesky red flags...hmmmm)

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I use to smoke but that was an easy habit to drop honestly. It smells to bad :p

Not much of a drinker though, on occasion sure, but months pass between those times.

I prefer a more natural not chemically altered outlet.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I drink occasionly but smoke alot. I like to smoke a couple of things and am not willing to quit yet.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join