It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conservative Christians are Hypocrites

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Why is it that so many Christians in America are conservative? Isn't this completely antithetical to the teachings of Christ? I have seen some liberals go so far as to call Jesus the first communist. I understand that a core principle of Marx is that religion is the opium of the people however there are many similarities.

I realize Jesus never directly advocated tax and spend or the forced redistribution of wealth although he clearly was an advocate of altruism in it's purest form.

I just don't understand how a self proclaimed Christian can not be an altruist or at least have altruistic principles. I understand that there are many conservatives who donate generous amounts to charities and this is an altruistic act, however they remain radically opposed to the distribution of wealth on a larger scale.

You cannot serve both God and Money. [Matthew 6:24.]

I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God [Matthew 19:23-24]

Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the
things that are God's. [Matthew 22:21]

If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven.
[Matthew 19:21]

Love your neighbor as yourself. .[Matthew 22:39]

But when you give a feast, invite the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed,
because they cannot repay you. You will be repaid at the resurrection of the just. [Luke 14:13 &14.]

In the temple courts [Jesus] found men selling cattle, sheep and doves and other
sitting at tables exchanging money. So he made a whip out of cords, and drove all from the temple area, both sheep and cattle;
he scattered the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables. [John 2:14 & 15.]

Watch out! Be on your guard against
all kinds of greed; a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions. [Luke 12.15.]

So to sum it up, here is three questions.

-Do you think Jesus was a liberal?

-If not, can you provide evidence that he was a conservative?

-How do you justify your own wealth or conservative princicples with Christian ideology?

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Personally, I don't think Jesus was either liberal or conservative. I feel he was way above either of those labels.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I am not saying that Jesus was necessarily a bleeding heart, die-hard liberal, but his teachings clearly seemed to have a leftist lean. Everyone falls somewhere on the political spectrum and I don't think religious teachers are excluded.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I think you are confused about the conservative vs. liberal thing, as far as altruism is concerned. Although I despise generalizations, I'll use it here to explain my position. Conservatives (politically speaking) are altruistic, in that they are concerned with the welfare of others. I think this is plainly obvious with the outreach and charitable ventures of the Christian conservatives, you mentioned.

However, conservatives don't believe the government should be involved with their charitable acts. Liberals, on the other hand, want the government to collect everything and redistribute as the government deems acceptable.

If one, seriously, examines the altruistic benefits of the two ideologies, the conservative view makes more sense as it does not require a huge, funds draining bureaucracy to administer, thereby allowing more to reach those in need.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
OK. Here's one, seeing as you're playing the 'Jesus is liberal' card, and your conviction is, to quote the title of your thread, 'Conservative Christians are Hypocrites'.

Jesus was a very charitable person.

Who gives to charity?

But the idea that liberals give more is a myth. Of the top 25 states where people give an above-average percentage of their income, all but one (Maryland) were red -- conservative -- states in the last presidential election (2004).

"When you look at the data," says Syracuse University professor Arthur Brooks, "it turns out the conservatives give about 30 percent more. And incidentally, conservative-headed families make slightly less money."

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Those quotes sound less like modern American liberalism and more like something else to me. But... then again the DNC has been running ads that go after conservative candidates for their own personal wealth. I guess so, I mean if you subscribe to the idea that an unborn child isn't human or that social programs aren't gift fish then sure.
Why worry about something like this though?

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Jesus believes in teaching a Man to fish rather that feeding him on a daily basis, so I doubt he was a Liberal.

He was actually apolitical.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Jesus was a libertarian
He believed that you should not give to people that do not want it (not throwing pearls before swine); in other words, respect your neighbors wishes and do not judge them for their practices or beliefs. Be peaceful. Jesus also taught you how to be compassionate to anyone that needed your help. Including giving your wealth to those in need, which would be a personal choice.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Transhumanist

-How do you justify your own wealth or conservative princicples with Christian ideology?

Wealth?

You think conservatives are all wealthy?

Conservatives and christians make up the majority of working people that actually pay taxes. WORKING people.

I'm not talking about the ones who pay a little and get a lot back. I'm not talking about those who make a lot and pay a little. I'm talking about the middle class workers who pay the highest percentage of their taxes into the government slop bucket.

28% of the personal income in this country comes from government handouts and subsidies. That comes from predominantly conservative taxes and goes to nearly all liberal voters. Oh yes. Very true.

You act as if this country was made up of 200 million fat cashed up millionaires who won't share with the poor and down trodden. It's actually 100 million overcharged taxpayers who are supporting 200 million non contributors.

Justify?

No need to justify anything to you.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Oh no not another one.

This is zillion times I've heard this type of argument.

Is your premise that if I'm am a Christian I am without sin?

Can you not be a Christian and sin?

Why do people continue to label us and disrespect our religion?

What is the point? What are you afraid of? Why persecute us?

I am thankful for a God that has given me forgiveness when I stray from the path of Christianity.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Christians complaining about persecution? HA!

I don't think Jesus even existed.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   

You think conservatives are all wealthy?

No. I never said anything close to that. It was an either or question as in either "if you are a wealthy christian, how do you justify your wealth with christian principles (considering all the parables against wealth) or if you are a conservative christian, how do you justify your conservative principles (given all the parables that resemble something more in line with liberalism). I should have clarified that question. I am not asking you to personally justify either to me, I am asking how you justify it to yourself WITH Christian principles.

Is your premise that if I'm am a Christian I am without sin?

No. I never said that either. I don't expect any person much less a Christian to be morally perfect. I don't even believe there is an objective moral order. But to what degree then, are your actions excusable and at what point do you have to start critically thinking about your religious beliefs and the way you live your life and attempt to alter it.

Why do people continue to label us and disrespect our religion? What is the point? What are you afraid of? Why persecute us?

Excuse me? I am not labeling Christians as hypocrites nor am I disrespecting your beliefs. The point is I am asking questions to Conservative Christians. I am not afraid of anything that is why I am asking. I hardly think questioning faith counts as persecution. Maybe you could attempt to answer the questions instead of avoiding them and being defensive.

Jesus believes in teaching a Man to fish rather that feeding him on a daily basis, so I doubt he was a Liberal.

I don't think that quote falls into either liberal or conservative although you could argue that social programs to educate people and help them find work so they can provide for themselves is a liberal initiative.

Jesus was a very charitable person.

No doubt about it. Is charity the only form of altruism? To me seeking equality is the next step beyond charity alone for an altruist to take.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
To Transhumanist:
Your stance is "Conservative Christians are Hypocrites"
We support our country when we know it is in the wrong.
We pay our taxes when we know they will be wasted.
We vote for the politician who says what we want to hear but then does whatever he wants and forgets about us.
Sounds like we are just like everyone else?
You need to get to know some real christians as opposed to people who say they are Christians.
The ones I know support "soup" kitchens, families down on their luck, prison ministries to help those who get out to do better. The one's I know DO and don't talk about it.
If you know about a Christian who talks about what he/she is doing and doesn't ask for your help or prayers, sounds like they are tooting their own horn and not the Lords.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

That was my thread on the matter. Conservative Christians don't have a clue about Jesus. Just the fact they attend church or a megachurch proves that point. Jesus DID NOT WANT ORGANIZED RELIGION or any flavor of it. That is pretty dang clear. Although all this is basically moot because Jesus never existed in the first place.

[edit on 26-10-2009 by reasonable]

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Every religous person on this planet is a hypocrite.

So what's your point?

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Jesus wasn't into politics. All the examples of helping the poor are optional for Christians. Sure, they might go to hell if they don't help the poor, but it's their choice. "Give to cezar what is cezar's, and to God what is God's". . . . Jesus was more like JFK, preaching separation of church & state, with religion being a personal issue. . . and they both got killed.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by The Transhumanist

Conservative Christians are Hypocrites

You neglected one passage...

Matthew 7:1
Judge not, that ye be not judged.

It's good advice regardless of where it comes from. Another one might be about how creating stereotypes is akin to bigotry. To judge the many, or the all by the few, or the one, is not terribly bright.

Laters

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Anthropomorphizing God is fraught with spiritual peril.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
“Unless a good deed is voluntary, it has no moral significance.” -Everett Martin

How can forcing people to pay taxes and using the tax to help people be a form of altruism?

Jesus was indeed a liberal, in the original sense of the word. He was, however, nothing like any type of political label we can put on him now. His altruism is pure, and this automatically distances himself from any human understanding.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by DINSTAAR

Perhaps you are unfamiliar with the definition? Altruism is devotion to the welfare of others. W ether or not the decision is made by the individual or the state is irrelevant. Forced devotion to the welfare of others is still the devotion to the welfare of others.

“Unless a good deed is voluntary, it has no moral significance.” -Everett Martin

A food stamp recipient could care less about the moral significance. He probably just cares that he is able to afford food.

His altruism is pure, and this automatically distances himself from any human understanding.

Isn't that why we have the new testament? So we can understand his ideals? I personally believe Jesus was nothing more than an enlightened mortal and therefor I think it is entirely possible to understand him. Altruism on an individual level is one thing but did you ever consider that an entire society can be altruistic? This is however only possible if everyone sacrifices, including those that do so grudgingly.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join