It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Just Bought a New Computer with Windows 7 - It's Great

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Ok so i'm really not sure if this is the correct section.
Something is telling me no, but I can't find any other suitable place.

So bought a new computer with an AMD 64bit Processor with Windows 7.

the 64bit is good, especially since I can one day upgrade above 3gigs of Ram, which is what I have now.

Windows 7 is a great upgrade from XP.
Honestly after Vista I thought I wouldn't ever go back to another microsoft OS.
I just planned to stick with XP for the rest of my life.

But it's a great OS, it's extremely stable, runs smoothly and is giving me absolutely no driver or any compatibility issues.

One suprising thing was the setup, it was insanely fast.
As soon as everything was done I was already connect to the internet.
It required zero effort.
I guess it detected the network on it's own and worked with it.

Startup and Shutdown are also blazing fast.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Try opening a command line and type in ipconfig/release or ipconfig/renew, and you will not feel so good about your new OS my friend.

Yes it's nice and fast and all, however it removes user access to ALOT of things using command line among other things.

It's like a closed box OS, and for developpers or people who work in IT like me it really is a pain.

~Keeper

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
If you don't game move to linux...seriously. The one and only reason i stay with windows is because of gaming...If i didn't i would move in a heartbeat. Windows 7 is good though,better than vista anyway. But i found the 64bit version to be a tad more buggy than the 32bit version. Wasn't apparent at first but the more programs/games i installed the more bugs i encountered.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

I would still stick with Linux even if you are a gamer my friend. There are PLENTY of gamer friendly versions of Linus for you, including Red Hat and Fedora...

~Keeper

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

No...linux supported games are tiny. And wine is just terrible. Sorry tenth but i am an avid pc gamer and linux simply doesn't cut it. I used to dual boot but frankly got tired of having to reboot all the time so decided to stay with windows. Sad that i have to but blame the developers and microsofts stranglehold over the market.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

If you don't game move to linux...seriously. The one and only reason i stay with windows is because of gaming...

Linux distros have made leaps and bounds in the realm of gaming. The WINE project is pretty amazing. Using WINE, you can pretty much run any Windows program under Linux. Of course, there are plenty of native Linux games that rock, too.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Have to agree with the other contributors.

I've used Windows since 3.1 way back. Vista drove me into the welcoming arms of Linux and now I'm a total convert to the cause of Ubuntu, Fedora and this week ... CrunchBang. I've never learned so much about computers as I have done in the last year.

Windoze ? Never again. Ever. Even if they give it away free. Which they won't.

But I'm happy for the OP. If it works, that's good for you.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by octotom

Wine has made leaps and bounds,easier to use and compatibility is growing...but it is absolutely nowhere near what someone like me needs. And from the years i have been following it compared to what i need...i doubt much will change. Only chance i have is developers changing their tune,but that will never happen as far as i can see. I give credit to the developers of wine,but it simply doesn't cut it frankly.

[edit on 26-10-2009 by Solomons]

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Come on guys
linux?

At first it was a Unix wannabee and then with the KDE it became a windows wannabee.

It's not even an OS, it's just a kernel as far as im' concerned.

Remember the old linux days, when it was so difficult to change something as simple as screen resolution?
Ya linux is better... suree....

I prefer Windows over linux, explorer over firefox and find the macs vs. windows ads extremely deceptive.

Windows 7

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
welcome to the COOL GUYS's CLUB

i though im the only one with 64 bit 7
hi tech level software superiority

[edit on 26-10-2009 by Stillalive]

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Yeah, loving it so far, super fast compared to my vista laptop the only thing spoiling my new 7 experience is the bloody crap screens they seem to be putting in laptops nowadays

I like the taskbar, subtle changes but nice.

[edit on 26-10-2009 by valiant]

top topics

join