It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Witchcraft and Magick

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I would like to know, if among the ATS populace lies a few beings who are wise to the craft. If there are those who still embrace the very ancient knowledge and teachings of our ancestors, before the rise of patriarchy.

I have always considered myself a Witch, as a child I would do unexplainable things which continued into my adulthood. I am now at an age (late twenties) where I would like to develop my gifts, and learn to control them. I am currently reading as much material as possible, but would love to hear from others on a similar path.

I often shy away from magick and spells, simply because I understand and respect that this craft is not to be taken or treated lightly, and before I delve into anything, I would like to discover or at least, understand the power inside me, which has proven on many occasions, to be strong.

Any advice from fellow wise women, or even just accounts of personal experiences or wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Along with any suggested reading or links.

[edit on 24-10-2009 by Merkabah]

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Merkabah
Along with any suggested reading or links.

I have always heard that anything published by Llewellyn is bunk and should be discarded.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Merkabah

Ask away, I have been into Wicca since childhood, very well read on the subject. My best advice it study for yourself, and find your own answers. My way may not be your way, know what I mean?

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   

I would be careful what you wished for. There are things i would assume that work, but i think the occultists behind the scenes, use them. Those rituals have been used for along time, and they probably choose the people doing them carefully.

I would stay away from it all if i was you, as there is no such thing as a free lunch.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I have two ways of replying, and I suppose it is academic versus personal experience.
I reached puberty as a gay young male in South Africa during the early 1990s, and the period of "anti-satanism" hysteria was very pronounced. All occult books were basically banned, except those that could fly under the radar, so to speak. I had a penchant for Wicca from the biginning. My first book was by Sybil Leek. I used to look at photos in occult encyclopedias of Wiccan rituals and I used to wish that was me in the pictures, and that I knew all the words and spells. Leek had just enough snippets for me to make a magick circle with rope, and to invoke the charge by candle-flame and insence. It was wonderful, and I could feel the power.
Later, unfortunately, ouija boards and black magick became involved, as I had no-one to guide me further. Now we have open pagan federations, and I'm not very attracted any more - some of it has become a business. I also find some anti-gay male homophobia. It is so different from those first romantic roots. I would go so far as to say that some of what I've heard has SM/heterosexist overtones. Well, I still believe I'm a witch/warlock, and one can wait for the right people to come along.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Hello Merkabah

I have been following my pagan path for many years but I was searching for years before that. My best advice to you is to read everything you can find. There is a lot of silliness and downright garbage online (not to mention any Llewellyn books :lol
, but that is of course, only my opinion. The best way to find your own path is to study all of it. There will be something that resonates with you. It's good that you respect your gift, but don't fear it or yourself. And please don’t become discouraged by others who cannot or will not accept your choices. Do what feels right to you, what sounds true to your soul.

I can point you in direction of a couple websites that may answer some questions. But don’t take any one person’s word especially if it doesn’t feel right to you.

This site has many essays that may help (a lot of it is geared towards Wicca)
Witchvox

This one is a simple overview of a few neo-pagan religions
www.religioustolerance.org...

And if you look over this one, please read it all carefully before deciding to join, it’s a… hmm, a much tougher forum than many of the ones for Wicca & other neo-pagan paths
www.traditionalwitchcraft.net...

I wish you the best of luck and remember to enjoy the journey of learning.

*edit for being a goofy newbie

[edit on 26-10-2009 by Dearbhail]

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 05:57 AM
link   
How about a little trivia this is kind of a cool thing to know since you're
taking this seriously.I wonder if you can tell me something significant
about the word itself WITCHCRAFT? If you don't already know this
you may be glad you do now.
Or anybody. Look at the word and tell me something that is unique
about it.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I've been studying Wicca and Paganism for years now. I'm have been pagan for... hmm... 14 years now? If you have any questions feel free to ask. I by all means do NOT know the answers to everything but hopefully I, or anyone else following the path, can help you!

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
i love raymond Bucklands introduction to wiccca as a study guide, he is gardenian wiccan and im ecclectic but he is still very informative. Im not a fan if silver raven wolf. Buckland and scott cunningham are my favs. there books are great because they are teaching guides and give background and make you go through the basics.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
You guys have watched " The Craft " too many times,

I'm kidding,

really though, magic, voodoo, prayer, .... they are just tools, different instruction manuals for using the same device. True power doeth not lie in silly rituals, or techniques .... it is the absence of technique.

to discard the manual and become the device. there is no seperation.

[edit on 26-10-2009 by IntastellaBurst]

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

So true. Ritual is only used to focus the mind (our real power).

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I also have to add that your not going to get anywhere if you do specific rituals from a book or a website.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   

OP you just hung this thread out to dry or what?
Nobody even gives a pooh about my little trivia question above.
So i was kind of hoping you would at least be interested.
You know since this is the thread you created asking what you did.
I mean I think I mght be about to get my feeling hurt with everyone ignoring me.
Is my avatar invivible?
I come to ATS for a little recognition and this is what I get.
DOES ANYONE CARE THAT i'M NOT FEELING THE LOVE RIGHT NOW!:

OP must have gone underground.

[edit on 26-10-2009 by randyvs]

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   

This may seem a strange question but please answer sincerly.

Do you think that being dismembered and boiled in a kettle would be a good way of achieving enlightenment?

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
yeah dont do black magic. jezus! people who think it is all bs wont believe what actually happens. the reperecussions are just not worth it.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Hello

I have been a practitioner of the Magickal Arts since my youth really, if there is anything i may be able to help you with please ask anything you like and i will give you any information i can..
The earlier member who mentioned Llewellyn publishers is correct though, it is not the best source to learn much from, though in a way they can be helpful to ease teens into Wicca generally..(thats my two cents on that topic lol)
I would have to say one of the most important aspects to understanding ones self is by the 'centering of self'..simple mind calming visualizations and breathing techniques to allign the body and being energies..feel what is within you and bring it out at your own pace..
I remember what an exciting time it can be for people who find the Magickal Arts during adult hood...and i wish you great peace of mind and of being on your journey

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by IntastellaBurst

You guys have watched " The Craft " too many times,

I'm kidding,

really though, magic, voodoo, prayer, .... they are just tools, different instruction manuals for using the same device. True power doeth not lie in silly rituals, or techniques .... it is the absence of technique.

to discard the manual and become the device. there is no seperation.

[edit on 26-10-2009 by IntastellaBurst]

Excellently put
I have to agree with you that real power and energies do not need tools such as ritual and objects used (candles, gems, herbs)..in order to bring out the true energies and abilities of the person..they are, over all just another vice of sorts..wands, athames, staffs are all only used for energy directing..But that said, there are many potent properties Magickally speaking, in numerous plans, herbs, gemstones..they assist but arent actually needed...i have noticed over the years that a lot of the time its simply for the show and image the persons looking to attain..if that makes sense.. (the books of course that tell of the items 'needed' have an interest in the sales and profits of these tools)..

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Hi Merkabah, yup the Mysteries of Power of Witchcraft and Magick may look quite appealing when you are attracted by them.

However this old and wise (am getting there) lady, can only say to you: BE CAREFULL with the occult. It has a romantic sensation but it can be very very dangerous to practice. There are many false Masters of Magick.

I think you might have a strong sense of intuition and probably a bit more develloped six sense then the averidge people.

Thoughts, in general, are energies that can manifest on many levels and in various dimensions. Rituals are nothing more then an exercise to keep your focus on what you want to 'change-alter-influence'. They are however but accelerators of the 'energy' of your thoughts.

In this time and age, information and gathering knowledge is easy. But it's not just letting your 'knowledge' grow, it's also seeking the SILENCE within yourself. Practising mediation is a far better exercise for your mental and physical health. The keyword is BALANCE!!

I'm not gonna tell you: don't do this or don't do that, bc I know that telling someone 'not go there' can have even more atraction to just do the opposite. Have been there myself, so I speak from experience

Deep in yourself you know which way to go and which path to follow.

Do not seek the Magick outside yourself. You will find it by starting to seek WITHIN yourself. Learn and know who YOU are, your body, your mind, your ego, your soul and your spirit. Learn and KNOW about the source of your emotions and learn to use the inner silence between the thoughts.

Walk in the Light! Namaste

[edit on 10/27/2009 by Melyanna Tengwesta]

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Melyanna Tengwesta

Hi Merkabah, yup the Mysteries of Power of Witchcraft and Magick may look quite appealing when you are attracted by them.

However this old and wise (am getting there) lady, can only say to you: BE CAREFULL with the occult. It has a romantic sensation but it can be very very dangerous to practice. There are many false Masters of Magick.

I think you might have a strong sense of intuition and probably a bit more develloped six sense then the averidge people.

Thoughts, in general, are energies that can manifest on many levels and in various dimensions. Rituals are nothing more then an exercise to keep your focus on what you want to 'change-alter-influence'. They are however but accelerators of the 'energy' of your thoughts.

In this time and age, information and gathering knowledge is easy. But it's not just letting your 'knowledge' grow, it's also seeking the SILENCE within yourself. Practising mediation is a far better exercise for your mental and physical health. The keyword is BALANCE!!

I'm not gonna tell you: don't do this or don't do that, bc I know that telling someone 'not go there' can have even more atraction to just do the opposite. Have been there myself, so I speak from experience

Deep in yourself you know which way to go and which path to follow.

Do not seek the Magick outside yourself. You will find it by starting to seek WITHIN yourself. Learn and know who YOU are, your body, your mind, your ego, your soul and your spirit. Learn and KNOW about the source of your emotions and learn to use the inner silence between the thoughts.

Walk in the Light! Namaste

[edit on 10/27/2009 by Melyanna Tengwesta]

I couldnt agree wtih you more
Especially the importance of knowing, getting to know ones self..ones being as a whole..is a very serious initial step for many things in life, and in Magicks

top topics

<<   2 >>

join