It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stimulus saved 6,000 education jobs in L.A., report says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Stimulus saved 6,000 education jobs in L.A., report says

www.latimes.com

Reporting from Washington - Some 250,000 education jobs have been saved or created by the economic stimulus package, according to a White House report released Monday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Wow... This is good news....

And it gets better...

"There is a lot more work to be done, but we applaud those districts that have successfully used stimulus funding to stave off catastrophic layoffs and invest in critical reforms," Secretary of Education Arne Duncan said in a statement. Of the $97.4 billion in education funding included in the stimulus bill, $67.6 billion has been spent.

So, we've spent about 1/3 of the money allocated and we have saved 250,000 education jobs nationwide! 6,000 in L.A. alone!

We still have 2/3 of the money left to spend!

I for one am all for this re-investment in our country!

www.latimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   
EXCELLENT!
we need as many people employed in that field as we can get.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Wow 6000 jobs saved in a city of 3,600,000 city wide and 14,000,000 greater city area. That is a 4 % savings of jobs. Let us look at the unemployment their-seasonably adjusted to 12.9% this september-which means at about 25%.I need to check out these statistics. Because I left California Sept 08 and the state was shedding jobs quicker than a dog shedding fleas with a new flea collar.

Edit for more accurate city numbers and percent of population.

[edit on 10/20/2009 by endisnighe]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Great that their saving education jobs but.. Uh. 250k is the best they can do? Several million jobs have been lost nation wide.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Stimulus saved 6,000 UNION education jobs in L.A

If you are not UNION the stimulus is unlikely to help you or if it does it will be a low paying job.

Only the union supporters that back the democrats that get the good jobs.

If you are a Republican and non union they don't care what happens to you.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Just found another article, am not even going to post it.

I call HOAX

Education jobs cut in LA were expected to reach 20k but they only cut 14k.

SO WE SAVED 6K JOBS.

LMAO

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Except that the POTUS own "scorekeepers" say it's 30,000 jobs at a cost of $533,000 apiece.

Oh, and you can subtract 16,000 of those "saved" jobs according to the Governor and Speaker of the House of Indiana. According to them, the stimulus funds allocated to the State were not needed for the teachers programs he already instituted, and were added to the State's surplus.

jw

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
See, not looking at the big picture. Teachers in public schools are funded by public money. In other words, a government job, like police officer, road repair crew or administrative assistant to a congressmen.

It is very important to spend trillions to save and/or create government jobs...because god knows there sure are not many private sector jobs out there anymore.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 03:49 AM
link   
I don't hire union members. but ummm. wow. I guess.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

Wow... This is good news....

And it gets better...

"There is a lot more work to be done, but we applaud those districts that have successfully used stimulus funding to stave off catastrophic layoffs and invest in critical reforms," Secretary of Education Arne Duncan said in a statement. Of the $97.4 billion in education funding included in the stimulus bill, $67.6 billion has been spent.

So, we've spent about 1/3 of the money allocated and we have saved 250,000 education jobs nationwide! 6,000 in L.A. alone!

We still have 2/3 of the money left to spend!

Four things;

1) Yes that these jobs were saved is a fantastic thing. However, what happens when the stimulus money runs out? The states and cities are losing more and more revenue and this stimulus money only covers one year. Oh and still a net loss of 14,000 education jobs in LA.

2) You misread..... 2/3 of the money HAS been spent. So there is 1/3 left.

3) Money is better spent getting non govt jobs back. The jobs pay more in taxes, both in terms of income and sales tax. These jobs have to ripple effect that then employ more people and eventually these states and cities don't need stimulus to keep the jobs.

4) Targeting govt money to only save union jobs is both cruel and wrong. If the dems are only going to save the jobs of their supporters then they are not as caring as they claim to be.

[edit on 20-10-2009 by johnny2127]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
removed

[edit on 20-10-2009 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I can still not believe that people can drink the coolaid been given by the propaganda out there and believe the deceptive lies.

Just one question, if 6,000 miserable jobs has been saved or created, what in the hell they were going to do with the schools without all those 6 thousand people? close them down?

Still the stimulus is one time thing, so what that means? next year all those 6,000 will still be out of work

Get a grip on reality people, the only ones that go stimulated with the stimulus bill are all those fat rats in Wall street getting the biggest bonuses in history at the end of year.

With all the protest that is going around about the latest news coming from Wall street the tea parties starting to get momentum again the government has to come out with something to keep the people hopeful, sorry but the hopes are gone with the increasing unemployment lines in every state.

BTW my state and the city next to mine has been reached the top ten poorest city in the country, yes Albany, GA is on the top ten poorest cities in the nation, then we got the record on bank closing and foreclosures, I guess the stimulus give away passed us by

[edit on 20-10-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I guess here in my neck of the woods the stimulus has not stimulated anybody at all

Ga department of labor numbers,

Georgia Unemployment Rate: 10.1%

National Unemployment Rate: 9.8%

UI Initial Claims: 66,614

Federal Minimum Wage: $7.25

This is in the last year, and this numbers are only of those that claim unemployment and received benefits, the real numbers are too scary to even imagine when this state support many illegal immigrants and migrant workers and they do not get unemployment benefits.

www.dol.state.ga.us...

[edit on 20-10-2009 by marg6043]

join