It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Labyrinth Site Synonymous with Minotaur Unearthed?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Labyrinth Site Synonymous with Minotaur Unearthed?

blogs.discovery.com

The site that inspired the ancient Greek Labyrinth, a mythical maze that supposedly housed the bull-man Minotaur, may have just been unearthed in Crete by an international team of researchers.

Oxford University geographer Nicholas Howarth and his colleagues believe a cave complex near Gortyn on the Greek island could have led to the myth. The cave system consists of a twisting and turning network of underground tunnels. Howarth describes it as "dark and dangerous."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I found this and thought it was pretty cool. I don't have much to add, but wanted to put it out here for anyone interested in ancient Greek mythology. Also, because this is yet another cave system that has been unearthed recently in association with our ancient past.

The 2.5-mile-long underground system is even called Labyrinthos Caves by locals. Some of its paths lead to large chambers, while others result in dead ends.

It will be interesting to see what archaeologists uncover in this labyrinth over the next few months/years.

Here is a video that accompanies the article:

Enjoy!

blogs.discovery.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 19-10-2009 by Aggie Man]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 01:42 AM
link   
very awesome find op,

I will be looking forward to seeing what they discover.

They say that the ancients confused elephant skulls for the mythical cyclops creatures.

i wonder what they will say was actually the minotaur.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
The minatour was probably one real badass guy who wore a bulls head over for a mask just to look awesome. Seriously.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Desolate Cancer

a kangaroo?

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Awesome post!

Thanks for bringing this to our attention... I once heard that the Minotaur represented what happened each year as a human sacrifice...

wild stuff!

Next thing you know we will find the wings of Daedalus !

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Great post. It would be great if they can find some artifacts, etchings on the walls or other markers that people had made or used while trying to find a way out.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Nice find!!

I hope they really come up with something that is really worth it.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 04:16 AM
link   
It's very reaffirming and reminding of our humanity when something like this is discovered and can show us our roots in a way that only history can. Great find!

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Technically if there is a real maze, we cant call it a myth anymore right ?

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
The opening words of the Fellowship of the Ring always spring to mind when I read stuff like this. Over time, history becomes legend, and then after more time, legend becomes myth.

Is it such a terrible notion that perhaps much of the wonder and fantasy we see in our mythologies are actually surviving accounts of real events?

top topics

join