It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

iRobot Unveils Morphing Blob Robot (w/ Video)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   

iRobot's latest robot is unique on many levels. The doughy blob moves by inflating and deflating - a new technique its developers call "jamming." As the researchers explain in the video below, the jamming mechanism enables the robot to transition from a liquid-like to a solid-like state.

As a new kind of chemical robot (or chembot), the blob bot has stretchy silicone skin, which is composed of multiple cellular compartments that each contain a "jammable slurry." When some of these cells are unjammed, and an actuator in the center of the robot is inflated, the robot inflates in the areas of the unjammed cells. By controlling which cells are unjammed, the researchers can change the shape of the robot and make it roll in a specific direction.

Not the prettiest robot I've ever seen. However it could revolutionize search and rescue techniques aswell as several obvious defence purposes. Truly interesting IMO

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
wow you were so first on this..i hate it when that happens!!

I guess since its in the 'breaking news' section it can have two topics going on it..but I S&F'd yours since you had it first

edit - its cool to that you thought of the search and rescue applications, I have been thinking a lot about that to..its kinda like the air bags, but better!

[edit on 10/19/2009 by toepick]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I'm with you. I posted the joker face on bho first but it wasn't realized that someone else had posted it also except he did it a day AFTER me!!

Anyways, s/f for you and I know how bad it sucks. Great work and don't get discouraged. It's too easy but don't let it happen.

[edit on 20-10-2009 by Roadblockx]

join