It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Defense weather satellite launched

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Defense weather satellite launched

www.sfgate.com

The Atlas 5 lifted off at 9:12 a.m. Sunday with a Defense Meteorological Satellite Program payload intended for polar orbit more than 510 miles (830 kilometers) high.

The DMSP satellites provide global environmental information to the Defense Department and other government agencies.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I find this interesting for a couple of reasons. Why exactly does the U.S. military need a weather satellite like this one? Now it is common knowledge that satellites go up into orbit under the guise of "weather satellites" all the time. I looked into this a little and could not find anything more than the little information that is in the news snippet. My question is...Why do we need a polar orbit satellite to monitor weather? Are we afraid of the penguins sneezing and causing a major ice age? j/k I guess I am posting this because I find it amusing that whenever the military needs to send up a secret satellite they slap a sticker on it that says "Weather Satellite...(this side up)" They must have a roll of these stickers that they got cheap and need to use up. I'm not even going to try and find out how many "weather" satellites they have supposedly sent up there but it must be numerous!

LifENcircleS

www.sfgate.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by LifENcircleS

There are probably a hundred reasons why the Military needs a weather satellite, I mean they may need to know the weather for upcoming operations, missile launches, Generals' BBQs, anything!

BUT... I completely agree, there's a gut feeling it's probably some extra top secret weapon or snooping satellite, just can't help it, hell, that's why I'm on ATS after all!

[edit on 18-10-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   

The true purpose...

1947: "It wasn't a UFO. It was a weather balloon"

2009: "It wasn't a UFO. It was a weather satellite"

[edit on 10/18/2009 by clay2 baraka]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by clay2 baraka
1947: "It wasn't a UFO. It was a weather balloon"

2009: "It wasn't a UFO. It was a weather satellite"

ROFL Ah mate I love it!

Especially those satellite that slow down and change direction, pesky weather satellites!

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by kiwifoot

Especially those satellite that slow down and change direction, pesky weather satellites!

Yes I agree...Those pesky weather satellites that change directions going against the laws of physics that say an object will stay in motion unless acted upon by an equal or greater force...last time I checked satellites don't stop reverse direction for a second and say oops i missed a spot let me go back for a second then continue on my way.
There have to be hundreds if not thousands of "weather satellites" out there!

LifENcircleS

new topics

top topics

join