It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "Cool Hand Luke" Syndrome

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
To illustrate my point, I'd like to show a short clip from the movie Cool Hand Luke, and speak about how it applies to the lack of understanding between various sides of a debate.

This is what happens at times in certain heated situations.

It's not right, and it's not debate.

What it is, is bullying, and nobody likes that.

If I thought I was doing this, I'd walk away.

If someone was doing this to me, I like to think I'd walk away - but that's not always the case, to my own detriment.

So when someone says "what we've got here is..."

Walk away - even if they only say it metaphorically, and never mind the false apologies or the hidden rhetoric.

Be the bigger person, and walk away.

[edit on 14/10/2009 by budski]

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

i agree. i made a post today concerning this. i won't put a shameless link into your thread though. You nkow how to find it if you want to. But i agree with what you are saying.
thanks for contributing to the cause.
publius

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Rational debate has never been a strong suit hereabouts, most threads usually devolve into communal mud slinging.

The site would be better served by dedicating itself to serious paranormal research and discussion.

Well done for being the bigger person though, it's not always the easiest path.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh
Rational debate has never been a strong suit hereabouts, most threads usually devolve into communal mud slinging.

The site would be better served by dedicating itself to serious paranormal research and discussion.

Well done for being the bigger person though, it's not always the easiest path.

I disagree.

This website has plenty of great, intelligent discussion on many things that do not involve the paranormal.

Not trying to be off topic, just trying to reply and express my point of view.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by BaronVonGodzilla

Excellent point. I can't recall a single instance of a regular contributor to the "Advanced Aircraft Projects", or "Fragile Earth" forums complaining that "this place is teh sux!!!"....

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by BaronVonGodzilla

I totally agree - there are some great threads with some wonderfull conversations and debates going on.

I was thinking more of the "political" stuff - and I put it in quotation marks because it's not really political, it's just trash talk at times.

I've been guilty of it myself in the past - but I've learned to ignore provocation.

At least somewhat.

I've stopped beating people with a riding crop though

top topics

join