It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Death. What is it?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Death is the reemergence into that which was before you had life.

I herd u liek lotus cobras.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
A few random thoughts thereto:
First I see myself to be a duality, which is to say i am a metaphysical consciousness inhabiting a physical sentient body:
The body is composed of atoms evolved to molecules that have grown to be cells, each and every cell containing the DNA genetic code inherited from two parents:
The cells of the body regenerate every seven years by way of DNA replication which also helps bring about ageing in the given environment:
This means that our atomic molecular bodies are recycled to the biosphere every seven years, where they are available to 'reincarnate' as part of every other known entitiy existent as part of the earth biosphere:
For example, the H2O water molecules I drink are the same H2O water molecules that were once upon a time available to the dinosaurs to drink and incorporate to their ongoing evolving beingness as a singular animated sentient entity part of the evolving Planet Earth biosphere.
Briefly, thats the physical body me.
What about the metaphysical mind me.
Interestingly, the brain which is vehicle to the mind, as is the body vehicle to the brain, does not regenerate every seven years by way of replicating cellular DNA. The brain cells cease to multiply when the fontanel membrane on top of the new born baby skull closes, some months after birth. That's your lot as far as brain cells go for as long as you live.
Anybody brought up on the Bible will know that according to the Bible humans can expect to live three score years and ten, being 70, which is seven multiplied by ten ~ as an overall average I guess you could say!
Numerically there would appear to be a hierarchical situation at play in our evolution as a species.
Here's another Biblical coincidence to think on.
Our unconscious mind emanates from our base body parts which are cellular regenerating every seven years. According to the book of Genesis, Pharaoh had a repeating dream about seven fat ears of corn and seven thin which Joseph of the story interpreted correctly as it turned out, to mean that there would be seven years of bounteous harvest followed by seven years of failed harvest. Result being they were able to build granaries in which to store sufficient grain to survive the lean times when they came.
As I say, mere numeric coincidence, if you take an atheistic view of the Universe.
However, think on. what is this 'mind' that composes our visual and cognitive perceptions?
To reiterate, body is vehicle to brain, and brain is vehicle to mind, which is?
Whatever it be, it is a Trinity, and an ongoing evolving story unfolding:

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
reply to post by Lister87

Good thing it's just your personal opinion. You have probably never even read the bible. Even if you don't believe in god there are a lot of good insights inside. Besides, it was written a couple thousand years ago so whether you like it or not the bible provides a look into history as well.

I always thought of death as the end of something old and the start of something new.

[edit on 14-10-2009 by DaMod]

Why is it a good thing it is my personal opinion? Sounds rather threatening and attacking for no reason?

I agree, i haven't read THE WHOLE Bible front to back. But i have read various bits.

Provides a look into history? How? What historical facts are in it? Especially the new testament.

To me it's a work of fiction. Religion, especially Catholicism, The Vatican, The Pope are all the biggest scam on earth, trying to control the masses. Their grip is gradually loosening as people are becoming wise to it.

Not all, but many religious people are born into it. With no choice.

Others, find it at times of desperation, sorrow and at points of weakness with nothing else to turn to.

Again, all my personal opinion. Please feel free to debate against it, but respect it at the same time.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   

First of all, don't confuse and attack with a statement of disagreement.

A book written 2000+ years ago is a historical document. There are events inside the bible that very well could have actually occurred.

Even if it is all a sham, it doesn't mean there isn't a god. BTW

If there is then I am sure death is really just the beginning.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   

First of all, don't confuse and attack with a statement of disagreement.

A book written 2000+ years ago is a historical document. There are events inside the bible that very well could have actually occurred.

You know what, never mind. You're right I'm wrong there is no reason to argue about this when it will have no real effect whatsoever.

Easy way out of a debate eh?

A statement of disagreement? You said "its a good things its your personal opinion" - to me thats subtly saying "or else....***** something.." - or else what?

A historical document? Again, i'd have to disagree, you saying 'the things COULD have happened' is exactly why i wouldn't call it a historical document, as we don't know if it's actually DOCUMENTED historical facts accurately.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Even if it is all a sham, it doesn't mean there isn't a god. BTW

If there is then I am sure death is really just the beginning.

No i never said it didn't mean there was a god. But i don't believe the god being portrayed in the bible is real. Or any other god i've heard of to date actually.

Death could be the beginning, i'd want it to be. But i see it as the end. Nothing more.

I think if alot of people have expectations of things when they die, they may be disappointed when it comes.

I have none, i expect nothing. If there is something after, i'll be nicely surpised.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Just a thought for atheists and theists alike...assume for a moment you don't live on at death and you essentially sleep. Imagine now that you have died and time goes on (I know,just assume) and billions of years pass. What are the mathematical odds of you waking in some form (body or mind) as time goes on? As long as the chance isn't zero then the further into time you go well, you get the idea. I personally believe you sleep until ressurection (to judgement and purification) but even an athiest must admit that if "everything" that can happen will at some point in this universe or an other than the chance of oneself becoming aware again also must exist.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I can imagine not existing. When you are asleep and not dreaming, that's like not existing. When they put you to sleep for operations etc.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeandShadow
Just a thought for atheists and theists alike...assume for a moment you don't live on at death and you essentially sleep. Imagine now that you have died and time goes on (I know,just assume) and billions of years pass. What are the mathematical odds of you waking in some form (body or mind) as time goes on? As long as the chance isn't zero then the further into time you go well, you get the idea. I personally believe you sleep until ressurection (to judgement and purification) but even an athiest must admit that if "everything" that can happen will at some point in this universe or an other than the chance of oneself becoming aware again also must exist.

In an athiests world, well mine anyway. Death would mean your body, and brain rotting away.

Once the brain has rotted away, your 'self' will too, imo. So you can't re-awaken from nothing?

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by nightrun
I can imagine not existing. When you are asleep and not dreaming, that's like not existing. When they put you to sleep for operations etc.

But you can't actually imagine what it'd be like NOT EXISTING.

You are not conscious of not existing when they put you to sleep. You just wake up later that day..

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Assuming that the self dies with the brain still has no affect on the said chance of becoming aware again. It is especially true in a infinite universe/multi-verse perspective. Again, as long as the chance is not zero for an aware existence some point or place after death. You can certaily assume it is zero though.

[edit on 14-10-2009 by SmokeandShadow]

[edit on 14-10-2009 by SmokeandShadow]

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by OrphenFire

Very interesting concept. There are a lot of cases that people who have clinically died and spoke of their experience. Maybe this will help.

paranormal.about.com...

Sponsored Links

Paranormal ActivityDo Not Watch It Alone. Prepare Yourself By Watching The Trailer.ParanormalMovie.com

Get Answers From The DeadHave a dispute only a dead person can solve? Apply for new tv show.www.solutionsfrombeyond.com

After Death Reading -FreePsyching readings by Sara Freder I will reveal your past for free.www.sara-freder.com
Paranormal Ads
Ghosts Pictures Psychic Visions Real Ghost Videos Afterlife Beliefs Photos of Ghosts

THE PHENOMENON OF deathbed visions has been known for hundreds, even thousands of years. (See related article.) Yet it remains unexplained simply because what happens to us after death is still a mystery. But if we are to take the experience of deathbed visions at face value, they may provide glimpses of what awaits us once we pass this life.

Here are some true stories received from readers:

MY MOTHER'S DEATHBED VISION

My mother had been in and out of hospitals over the last year, near death at each admission. She was coherent and not delusional. She had congestive heart failure and lung and kidney cancer spread throughout her body. One morning in the hospital room, about 2 a.m. when all was quiet, my mother stared out the door of her room and into the hall that led to the nurse's station and the other patient's rooms. I said, "Momma, what do you see?" And she said, "Don't you see them? They walk the hall day and night. They are dead." She said this with quiet calmness. The revelation of this statement might send fear into some, but my mother and I had seen spiritual visions many years prior, so this statement was not a shock for me to hear, or for her to see. I, however, this time, I did not see them. This small conversation was not mentioned again.

Her surgeon said there was no point in treatment as the cancer had spread throughout her body. He said she might have six months to live, at the most; maybe three months. I brought her home to die. She passed four weeks later. The night of her (unexpected) passing, she was restless and anxious. Although my mother was a spiritual person, she had been in denial throughout her illness and declining health. She did not want to die, therefore she would not acknowledge the prognosis or her condition. She always talked as if she were going to get well and making plans of things to do in the coming Spring.

About 7:30 p.m. she asked to be carried out to the enclosed front porch. It was winter and cold. But, she insisted and by this time, I would not deny my mother any request. I wrapped her in blankets and made her as comfortable as possible. My mother was an invalid and could not support herself in anyway without help. A few minutes before 8 p.m. she said, "I have to go. They're here. They're waiting for me." Her face glowed and the color returned to her pale face as she attempted to raise herself and stand up. Her last words were, "I have to go. It is beautiful!" And she then passed at 8 p.m.

Several months later, the alarm of my alarm clock (set at 6 p.m.), which was broken and had no batteries in it, went off at 8 p.m. sharp. I could feel the presence of my mother and her amusement at achieving such a task and bringing it to my attention. A year and two months to the day of my mother's transformation, she appeared standing in my kitchen as whole, healthy and young. I was surprised, knowing she was dead, but so happy to see her. We embraced in a hug, and I said, "I love you." And then she was gone. She had come back to say a final good bye and letting me know in thought that she was happy and okay. I know my mother is finally home and at peace. - Moon Sister

ALL THE VISITORS

My mother died of cancer three years ago. She was at home lying on the sofa where she wanted to be instead of in a hospital. She didn't have much pain, only oxygen to help her breath, and she wasn't on any drugs. The last day of her life, she looked around and asked who all the people were standing around looking at her. Only my dad and myself were in the room. I often wonder why she didn't recognize anyone, but hope they were relatives or angels. Also, one of my friends who died saw angels and was reaching toward them. Yet another saw something he said was so beautiful, but didn't say what. I find this very interesting and comforting. - Billie

VISIONS OF THE HOLD MEN

I'm writing from Turkey. I have Islamic faith like my father. My father (may he rest in peace) was lying in a hospital bed, dying of colo-rectal cancer. He had two experiences and I had one.

My father: Only a few days before his death, my father saw in his dream some of our deceased relatives, who were trying to grasp him by the arm. He forced himself to wake up so that he could escape them. My father was awake. Suddenly he murmured the verses uttered by the imam at the prayers in a mosque prior to a dead man's burial, "Er kishi niyetine." This Turkish expression means, "We hereby intend to pray for this dead man lying in this coffin before us." I was quite upset and asked him why on earth he said such a thing. He replied, "I've just heard somebody say these!" Of course there was nobody who said so. Only he heard it. He died a day later.

Me: In our belief we also believe in some holy people ("shieks" as we call them) who act as outstanding religious figures. They are not prophets, but are superior to us in that they are closer to God. Back to my story. My father was unconscious. Doctors prescribed some medicine and told me to go out to a pharmacy shop and buy them. (It was probably because they wanted me to leave the room so that I would not see him die.) I prayed to God and called my shieks and begged, "Please come and watch over my beloved dad when I'm not here." Then, I swear I saw them appear (I'm in tears now while remembering and writing these) at his bed, and they told me, not by their mouths but by some telepathic means, "All right. You go now." Then I went out to get the medicine. He was alone in the room. But I was relieved that my father was in their holy hands. And when I got back, only a quarter of an hour later, there were three nurses in the room, who stopped me at the door and kindly asked me not to get in. They were preparing my daddy's dead body to be sent to the hospital morgue. - Aybars E

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Also '___' is released in massive quantities before death. That is what makes us dream at night. Just something to think about.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by OrphenFire
Thanks for all of the replies. I am ever exploring the theories and truths surrounding life and death. A couple of your ideas are derivative of Biblical teachings. I am not saying that I do not believe there is an afterlife, though. I think there is possibly something else to us (souls), but nobody alive knows for sure. I don't trust NDE's because they are brought on by a flow of chemicals and hormones that can cause hallucinations. Hallucinations are not real. Then again... what is real??

There are cases of people who died and left their bodies. They were able to report what was going on in the operating room. Doctors were stunned. There are many interesting cases of NDE's that cannot be atributed to hallucinations.

I am not religious, but I do believe we are souls living in a human body. When the body dies, the soul lives on.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I certainly hope that we can live on after death. It would be dreadful to know that one day I will no longer exist. The only reason I am even pondering death is because recently I have begun questioning my beliefs. I think everyone should periodically question his/her belief system. If you never question your beliefs, how can you know WHY you believe what you do? Anyhow, I was raised in an evangelical environment. There was a lot of bizzare experiences in that environment. A lot of reasons to believe in the supernatural. As I have become older, I have become much more privy to scientific knowledge. Therefore, I am on a self-inquisition to understand reality within myself.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I died this morning when I got up and put on new clothes.

Going to a family persons house to clear it out as they have gone into long term care, An end to a home, memories and neighbours chats, a type of death happened there. Just memories now.

Driving back A coffin and cars with mourners passed on the way.... Their experience of death was more acute, but the person had died a week or so ago... no death but plenty of tears....

I am home now will wash soon clean my teeth and kill millions of bacteria, a death will happen then.

I will practice some things I do before sleep, in meditation creating and then dissolving some aspects of visualised Yoga.... a birth of an amazing being in my mind and heart, and death and dissolution all within 60 minutes, such a short life eh.

The sun set a few hours ago another day gone, but the birth of the night and moon dance now.

As I lay down tonight and consciousness fades awareness will slip away, ego loose grip, my heart slow and breathing to, slipping into sleep this day done, all choices gone for 6-7 hours, just automatic pilot... death of choice and "I"

As I sleep cells will be replaced, just 3 weeks ago all of my lungs were totally differant cells, those millions have died and been replaced, 10 years ago all of my bones were differant to, but "I" am still here.

Wonder then we must the really big question, when "I" take my final breath will I just be changing my clothes, or sleeping for ever.

The answer depends on what you think your "I" is, if its your anger, selfish feelings we humans have your "ego" then yes it dies for good.... but the deeper part, the character and habits and balance to be paid for the actions and thoughts of a lifetime does not easy for many die or is escaped.

The energy of Death is around us all the time in everything, relationships, jobs, living beings, on your plate of steak, the hurt in your friends eye if you ever let one down, the death of our humanity and brotherhood when we see 1 billion starve and gorge our faces tonight with no donation or action to change it.

The trees turning brown, leaves falling, geese flying now soo far, many wont make the winter here, animals hunker down, human homeless and old frail to, some will die of exhaustion in the sky flying those lovely geese, their chatter and trumpets have died to on the lake for some time.

What thought for them? What mourning for them?

Who cares about the 90 yr old war hero cold and alone this christmass dying scared with no ones hand to hold?

Death is everywhere we just dont admit it or recognise it, and only fear and worry about our "poor me" "ego" deaths, what right I say? When we have been witness and part of the cause of soo much death ourselves in many differant forms before and ignored or supressed it, not helped where needed.

Hopefully this post will make some have a little death of their lack of mindfullness of the actions we take and are part in, and become more aware of death in their daily lives, so that our own may be more pleasant, accepting or that he smiles not scours at us as he approaches.

Kind Regards,

Elf

[edit on 14-10-2009 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
There are two ways, I'd like to mention, in what I think death may be like and they are both very, very similiar, in a way...

The first would be keen to astral traveling. Upon being 'dead' it is quite possible that your soul or your inner self continues to move along planes, just as it does during astral traveling. However, the only difference is that you no longer have a physical body to return to. Whether or not, you do eventually find something to 'return' to or not, I am obviously very unsure about.

It is very difficult for me to describe how I have this second thought.

My second thought on death is very similiar to being in a highly visual trip. Just to note, I do not recommend or promote or encourage anyone to try any item that will induce a visual trip at all. However, with that said I was once under the condition of a plant substance that is used by Diviner's across the globe. Upon being in this condition I immediately sensed something being awry. I think being dead may be very similiar to this. You immediately get the feeling, upon dying that a sense of familiarity is returning. You can see the wave coming and immediately realize how your life started on 'earth' and what your position was before consenting to come to 'earth' and this so called reality. You get the sense of 'OHHHH Yeah!' 'How did I forget? all of this?!' You will probably see persons that you knew before you went on the trip to the 'earth' or this 'reality' or whatever it is, you may also be in your former 'real' self now and not that human suit anymore. It will be a very trippy ride, if this is how death really goes thats for sure.

Now, it will probably be very frightening at first as you see the wave coming in and realizing that it won't be long until you go completely under, so to speak.

There may also be a sense of intense fear involved as well. You may no longer recall what happened to put you in this trippy state, or have any recollection of there being your physical body somewhere else, as in 'earth'.

*You may get the feeling to resist the tide and force yourself away from this wave out of fear of the unknown, even though this is probably where you came from in the first place, upon doing this it is possible that your self may be 'stuck' here on 'earth' or in this 'so called reality', that you made for yourself. Whether or not you eventually become 'free' again, I do not know.

A good way to describe this second asterisked part would be to picture yourself knowing and consenting to enter into a fake world and somehow during that stay in the fake world you somehow convince yourself that the fake world is real! This is very matrix-y I think, maybe. i can go into detail on this feeling if anyone cares to listen or is interested.

Anyway, these are just two simple ideas of which I have countless on the subject. I could dwell on these ideas all day.

Who knows, I guess we'll see how it goes.

2c

[edit on 10/14/2009 by agent violet]

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by OrphenFire

You never truely die, you never truely feel pain, it's all apart of this "game" virtual lesson. Why don't we remember our past lives, or what we are and the origin of which we come? Because if we did it would be like having cheats to the game, which nothing is learned from that.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Death is nothing but another step. Death is a new beginning. Without death you can not live.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by fleetlord
Hmmm... I have an example.
Ever had those nights when you did not dream at all, and woke up immediately after going to sleep?
I imagine death to be somtehing like a dreamless sleep, but longer and without the waking up part.

Me too. That is nothingness.

You go to sleep, turn over and the clock says it's morning. You slept 8 hours like a rock, no dreams, no tossing and turning, just a black spot in your memory, and the sun is up where once was the dark sky.

Death is the end of all.

That is what makes life so precious, what makes every single life so valuable and what makes the terrible crimes of this world intolerable.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join