It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Men Who Stare At Goats Movie w/trailer

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I saw this movie advertised yesterday. It is the true story of the government's pursuit of psychic abilities. It is played out as being a comedy but the story is real.

Official Plot Synopsis: In this quirky dark comedy inspired by a real life story you will hardly believe is actually true, astonishing revelations about a top-secret wing of the U.S. military come to light when a reporter encounters an enigmatic Special Forces operator on a mind-boggling mission. Reporter Bob Wilton (Ewan McGregor) is in search of his next big story when he encounters Lyn Cassady (Academy Award®winner George Clooney), a shadowy figure who claims to be part of an experimental U.S. military unit. According to Cassady, the New Earth Army is changing the way wars are fought. A legion of “Warrior Monks” with unparalleled psychic powers can read the enemy’s thoughts, pass through solid walls, and even kill a goat simply by staring at it. Now, the program’s founder, Bill Django (Oscar® nominee Jeff Bridges), has gone missing and Cassady’s mission is to find him. Intrigued by his new acquaintance’s far-fetched stories, Bob impulsively decides to accompany him on the search. When the pair tracks Django to a clandestine training camp run by renegade psychic Larry Hooper (two-time Oscar® winner Kevin Spacey), the reporter is trapped in the middle of a grudge match between the forces of Django’s New Earth Army and Hooper’s personal militia of super soldiers.

I would also refer you to this thread. It was created in 2004.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 12-10-2009 by jackflap]

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I just saw the trailer last nite. The movie was mentioned on C-t-C before too. This one goes on my must see list.

CX

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I've read the book many times, By Jon Ronson, have just lent it to a mate.

Great story, the film looks great too.

CX.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by hangedman13

Without a doubt. I like Goerge Clooney as an actor to begin with. This one seems way too funny to miss. With the whole government program thrown in there it is a must see.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Ewan McGreggor, George Clooney, Kevin Spacey, and Jeff Bridges? Who would want to miss it? If they had managed to get Gary Oldman, this would have been a perfect cast

Really looking forward to it.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Arrowmancer

This will be a good one. I remember reading a book years ago and I think it was called Stargate. It was about the CIA's secret remote viewing program. It was pretty cool.

STAR GATE Revealed: CIA's Psychic Spy Files at STARpod.org October 02, 2009

(STARpod.org) -- Although the public is more aware today than they were in 1995, when the CIA finally owned up to the existence of "U.S. government phenomenology projects," only part of the truth behind "strange goings on" has been revealed. The United States had been secretly conducting research into the use of the paranormal: to spy on the Soviets, the aliens, and more. Not only was this series of programs, generically known as STAR GATE, run by the Defense Intelligence Agency, there were others less well known.

www.americanchronicle.com...

This is a recent article about it. I thought I would share it.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jackflap

I guess it's just a coincidence that it will be released on film on 6th November, 09.

The ch4 series was on 7th November, 04.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
So much illuminati symbolism starting with the title...it might be worth a matinee ticket for the laughs.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
yeah i saw a documentary about the experiments that went on and went out and got the book.well recommended reading and i cant wait to see this film/doc.
one of the main men was crushed to death in a stunt where he had a tank or similar drive over him, all mind over matter stuff.

hell they were even into trying to walk through walls, the reason its called the men who stare at goats is that the trained men could manipulate the heart rate of an animal in this case a goat, they got so good that they could focus there mind on the goats heart and slow it to a stop killing the goat.

then it was to be put to use in the military. some far out stuff!

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   

1 of 5 for you here

[edit on 13-10-2009 by woodwardjnr]

[edit on 13-10-2009 by woodwardjnr]

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   

An excellent book written by an articulate and thorough researcher in the form of the British writer, Jon Ronson, he must have made a packet seeling the rights!

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

That is an awesome video woodwardjnr! I am intrigued now and I wonder if they have footage of the goat thing. You have me hooked. I am going to look for the other videos but if you know where they are, post them. This is great stuff.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

I'm sure it was no small exchange. This stuff baffles my mind. We have intelligent people who came up with this stuff. Walking through walls? A novel idea but man what were they thinking?

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Part two of five.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

yes man that is the doc i saw a few years back, that was a good series he did on various things, fond memories

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   

I have decided to share this with my girlfriend when she comes home, so I will post more about my thoughts on it then, but so far both the trailer, and the actual real life people look awesome. I am pretty unfamiliar with this.

But this is very interesting.

There are countless crazy secret government operations, I wonder what other amazing things we'll simply never be allowed to know?

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   
ok i caught this preview a few nights ago and until reading through this thread i did not know it was a book.

still though, i want to share my very, very first impressions and feelings about it, before finding this thread:

making it a comedy, instead of a drama (the always hilarious drug use and prostitute jokes
) the HUGE name actors who will make us feel comfortable will make this real subject a complete joke after this movie comes out, assuming it does well. it will just laughingly brush aside this time in history the way hollywood and everyone funding this wants (seriously, look at the supremely influential puppets they string up in it) and that really pisses me off. haha! it's a funny movie don't take this seriously! haha. go back home now and remember the funny funny jokes about buying drugs and whores! those funny actors.
also the title of the movie baffled me (and i know NOW it's a book and i see that it's explained) and the only thing i could come up with was the goats people like to draw inside pentagrams to sound like a quirky benign title (that says so very little about the movie itself, don't you love hollywood) but masks what the people back in the shadows enjoy doing as well.

my first impressions ^

i'm surprised so many of you want to see it as far as entertainment goes. i want to see it because i want to see how hollywood will humorously airbrush this from history and what they do decide to put in it (when cloony dispersed the cloud really caught me off gaurd, i'll be honest). to me there's nothing funny about any of it. and i really like jeff bridges. ewan mcgregor does good stuff. george cloony is a total joke and his acting does nothing for me, and i really don't see what's so attractive about him besides the hive think idea to just agree with it, and i have a fantastic eye for aesthetics, straight or not (i'm male). ok i'm starting to rant.

anyway i have to resign my whole post with a 'it will be interesting nonetheless'. i guess. what are ya gonna do? -sigh-

[edit on 15-10-2009 by shagreen heart]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 01:27 AM
link   
I won't be seeing this one.

Clooney isn't that funny in comedies. I see this as being another O brother where art thou.

The only good thing about that movie was the catchy tune Man of Constant Sorrow.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   
yeah i saw a documentary about the experiments that went on and went out and got the book.well recommended reading and i cant wait to see this film/doc.
one of the main men was crushed to death in a stunt where he had a tank or similar drive over him, all mind over matter stuff.

hell they were even into trying to walk through walls, the reason its called the men who stare at goats is that the trained men could manipulate the heart rate of an animal in this case a goat, they got so good that they could focus there mind on the goats heart and slow it to a stop killing the goat.

then it was to be put to use in the military. some far out stuff!

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Goat's Notes: More Secrets of The Men Who Stare at Goats

I knew that Ron worked for CIA. And why psychic mentalist Uri Geller would claim to have been 'reactivated' for the war on terror. It was December 6th, 2005, and I had just received another intriguing email from Dan Smith. Dan Smith's claim to fame includes his father, Dan Throop Smith, "a renowned Harvard economist who had served as the Treasury Department's top tax adviser during the Eisenhower administration" according to the Washington Post, and his older sister, Deborah, a friend of President G.H.W. Bush according to the White House, as reported in another Washington Post story about Presidential cuff links used to impress Toyota. Smith had forwarded the latest rumor concerning his friend Ron, the former CIA analyst made famous by a Pulitzer prize winning story from the New York Times. "What do you think about Ron encouraging Gordon to go to Iraq, support RC [Ramsey Clark] 'because people in D.C. would appreciate it' (my paraphrasing) and help Saddam? Risky for a senior officer?

www.americanchronicle.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join