It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Building a second sun

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightFantastic

Originally posted by Thill
I fear that in reality and our human "luck" , murphy's law is just waiting for this to happen so that the containment field can malfunction and all hell will happen.

I guess you didn't read my post above. The plasma will contact the walls during operation but the walls are built to deal with it. Even if it did escape the walls it is only going to be a problem for anyone near the reactor in the same building.

Lol do you know what Plasma is?

The main containment problem of this project will be the Nuetrons.

Do you thing highly energetic and massive amounts of neutrins escaping the containment area and getting into the environment would suddenly fall down a few hundred feet away?

Are you serious.... did he read your post?

Did you read the OP link, and do you actually know what Nuetrinos can do?

Well well... and to think a Plasma at a temprature of 10 times the surface of the sun if it got into the environment would only affect next door is laughable.

Only bash and posture if you do so from a position of strength!

Anyhow the only real concern for me with this project is the cooling pumps and if the back ups will work, if they didnt that would be very bad news in an accident, I dare say the reaction could be stopped in a much easier way than a Nuclear reaction, by not introducing any more fuel to the system, It would burn out quickly.

Dangers abound though still.

Kind Regards,

Elf

[edit on 15-10-2009 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by MischeviousElf
Lol do you know what Plasma is?

The main containment problem of this project will be the Nuetrons.

Did you read the OP link, and do you actually know what Nuetrinos can do?

I must have missed out plasma in my MHD studies. I must ask for those fees back. I do know what neutrinos can do though and it isn't a lot, apart from oscillate between flavours and extremely rarely interact with matter.

In all seriousness, in all fusion reactor designs the containment fields can shut off, the cooling can fail and even with a blanket fracture damage will be contained within the local area. A fusion reactor has a lot of thermal mass and fusion is achieved in short cycles with limited energy in each cycle. A standard fission reactor is much more dangerous.

In short, there will be no thermonuclear explosion and Neutron emissions will be short and directional even after a catastrophic failure such as a blanket fracture.

Look under "Accident Potential" here Wiki which also states that any issues will be contained within the building.

I wasn't trying to bash, just to counter doom mongering. But feel free to bash back from your position of strength

[edit on 15/10/2009 by LightFantastic]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by MOTT the HOOPLE
Dr Octavian already toyed with that and it ended rather badly if memory serves me!

[edit on 14-10-2009 by MOTT the HOOPLE]

Dammit man you said it before I had a chance! On a more serious not though, this sounds very interesting. I just wonder if the worlds electric/oil companies will allow such a clean energy source to ever come to fruition.

<< 1   >>

join