posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 06:33 AM
I attended the jia chai vegetarian festival in Krabi last year and thought I would post some pics and background on this cleansing ritual.
Anyone fancy a umbrella piercing?
Or some cuttlery?
The festival goes on for 9 days in late september/early october. And involves in addition to the parade knife-ladder climbing and walking on hot coals
in the local temples. Also a lot of eating ofcourse
The parade itself is extremely noisy due to big Chinese drums and massive amounts of firecrackers going of between your feet.
History of the festival can be found here:
10 RULES FOR THE VEGETARIAN FESTIVAL
1. Cleanliness of bodies during the festival
2. Clean kitchen utensils and to use them seperately from other who do not join the festival
3. Wear white during the festival
4. Behave physically and mentally
5. No meat eating
6. No sex
7. No alcoholic drinks
8. People at mourning period should not attend the festival
9. Pragnant ladies should not watch any ritual
10. Ladies with period should not attend the ritual