It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FCC chairman warns of 'looming spectrum crisis'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   

FCC chairman warns of 'looming spectrum crisis'

www.google.com

SAN DIEGO — The chairman of the Federal Communications Commission warned Wednesday of "a looming spectrum crisis" if the government fails to find ways to come up with more bandwidth for mobile devices.

Julius Genachowski said the government is tripling the amount of spectrum available for commercial uses. The problem is that many industry experts predict wireless traffic will increase 30 times because of online video and other bandwidth-heavy applications.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Wow... we have so much wireless, that we need to allocate more space in the spectrum for it.

I just bought a Clear Home antenna myself. All of my internet and voip is now wireless on a 4g WiMax connection.

But as we move to more wireless, how does this effect our lives, our bodies, and our minds?

www.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Pretty soon just walking around in the open air will be the equivalent of broiling your brainpain in a microwave if they keep "expanding the bandwidth."
l

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
The cat is already out of the bag. My girlfriend flats in a housing subdivision and on average I can pick up 5-7 wlan networks. To get wlan from downstairs to upstairs reliably, it requires a tin can to direct the signal (aka cantenna for all the j33ks out there). The other solution is to put in my grunty commercial cisco AP but then we're back to square one, when the neighbors do something similar. The 2.4ghz cordless phone always gets interference too. Bluetooth.. 2.4ghz

See the problem?

Another issue is microwave radiation, background levels have increased dramatically with all sorts of RF devices now in use, I cannot locate the study (posted it a while back) but it was something like 10 fold increase since industrial revolution... not cool.
I worked for four years in the largest WLAN in the southern hemisphere as an IT tech. This happens to be a college... ('great' I hear you sigh) and we have pretty much no meaningful, independent studies into the effects, especially on a growing childs brain.

One thing to ponder: why would the latest cisco 'n' access points I was installing say: 'do not get any closer than 30cm while aerials are transmitting' and 'radios shipped de-activated' (so it don't whack you when first plugged in)... If it's so safe then why the warnings... what happens to someone 300cm away for 6 hours a day, teaching or learning? Multiply that out to roughly 70 access points and put 1600 students under them 5 days a week.

The only 'safety info' comes from the manufacturers, who are of course operating in your best interests.

I'm migrating back to cable, much much more reliable in any situation, faster, less radio/em feilds and what have you, browsing is much smoother than any wlan i've used.. and i've used, tested, deployed and fiddled with a lot! Sorta like valve stereos vs digital... new isn't always better!

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by GhostR1der

Well a couple things here...

I currently have Clear WiMax 4g and my download time is like NOTHING I've ever experienced... it's instantaneous most times. Even on ATS... ads and everything *BOOM*.

So the concept that cables are faster is not true.

As for the "why do they say stay 30 cm away from the antennas?" Well that's because it's not the wave put off that is harmful, it's the where the bobber is bobbing in the water or "the point of transmission" which is harmful.

Think of a knife... a butcher brings it down on the chopping block, and you can hear the sound it makes... but you are safe unless you are right up next to the knife.

I worked with radio in the US Navy for many years and this was the same then as it is now... don't ever touch a transmitting antenna.

Which is why I will use wireless... but I won't put a phone to my ear anymore :-)

top topics

join