It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

digsby uses your pc to make make money

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
The popular Digsby instant messenger client not only bundles half a dozen "optional" crapware applications, it's also using your computer to crawl the web, do stock market research, and more. It's time to uninstall.
Bundling Crapware is a Despicable Business Model

Many popular freeware applications bundle crapware into their setup files, prompting you during the installation process to install something that nobody wants—like the Yahoo/Ask.com/SomeRandomCompany browser toolbar. Tech-savvy users may consider this nothing more than an annoyance, but this practice preys on unsuspecting or less knowledgeable users that click "Next" through every setup screen, and the makers of any software that do this should be ashamed of themselves.

Digsby takes bundled crapware to a whole different level, however. During the install you are prompted for not one, not two, but six different pieces of junk software, and then for good measure they offer to replace your home page with something terrible and take your search engine down a notch.

Don't think it's all that bad? Here's an example of one of the bundled crapware applications—a piece of software that tracks everything you are searching online and shows you "offers" in a sidebar window. Does that really sound like something anybody anywhere would ever want?

ou can debate the merits of bundled crapware, and brush away the despicable nature of preying on those lacking adequate tech skills, but did you realize that Digsby is also using your processor to make money?

That's right. Buried in the Terms of Service that almost nobody ever bothers reading, there's this exploiting-the-fine-print gem explaining that they will use your CPU to run distributed computing problems that make them money:

15. USAGE OF COMPUTER RESOURCES.
You agree to permit the Software to use the processing power of your computer when it is idle to run downloaded algorithms (mathematical equations) and code within a process. You understand that when the Software uses your computer, it likewise uses your CPU, bandwidth, and electrical power. The Software will use your computer to solve distributed computing problems, such as but not limited to, accelerating medical research projects, analyzing the stock market, searching the web, and finding the largest known prime number. This functionality is completely optional and you may disable it at any time.
continue on the site..
lifehacker.com...
i pretty much just copy pastet..i dont really have much to say,just doing my job as always protection you brothers from being screwed over again.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
theres better programs that dont take alot of cpu usage and make money of off you out there.

and yeah i've used digsby and didnt know about that until i saw a topic about it on another website.

but you can disable it in the options if u still want to continue using it. >.>

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
so forget about spying cookies,now theyr using YOUR CPU to do theyr work,like SETI,and your paying the eletric bill..awesome hah?
and next tme they call you criminal for downloading warez..think again who are the real criminals

trust me skype is the same bull****. it has annyoing ads,that u can disable,and the connection is just terrible,u have to ring to the other person,couse in every new message,gets lagged

[edit on 6-10-2009 by Stillalive]

join