It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to survive if in jail? Any advice?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

No need for smart*ss remarks. I am very against drinking and driving, my first DUI was given to me because I had my prescription medications in my car (needed for anxiety), and I was angry at the cop for going through my pill bottles and counting my pills, so he then responded "You know what, you pissed me off, I'm giving you a DUI." So I said fine, I'll take a blood test, and was later told my levels for my medications were too high for me to be driving. However there is something called 'tolerance' and I, at the time, had no way of bringing forth someone who could back me up.

My second DUI I did deserve, I made a mistake and it wont happen again.

But seriously, obviously avoiding a problem is the best way to stay away from the consequences of the said problem, any idiot knows that, no need to try and sound above me because you haven't made a mistake I have.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
-avoid eye contacts with inmates

-avoid arguements/fights (dont look for any either)

-dont attract too much attention

-dont drop the soap?

lets add one more:

-toughen up (you need to be physically And mentally strong to survive and defend yourself)

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
From the suggestions it sounds like No One has done real time so I'll fill you in on the real deal:

1. Mind your own business.
2. Never ever answer a gaurds question about another inmate, the answer is always..I DON"T KNOW NOTHING, I DIDN"T SEE NOTHING !
3. If a gaurd stops you to talk to you grab the nearest inmate and have them stand with you while your talking to him, that way you have a witness that you weren't ratting someone out to them.
4. The new guy in the cell always gets the top bunk, the lower bunks are the prime sleeping accomodations in jail ..the top dog takes them.
5 Never sit on someones bunk unless asked to do so, and then NEVER sit on thier pillow.
6. Never point at a inmate, that's what rats do in the court room.
7. If you have the top bunk always let the bottom bunk guy know your going to climb up into yours before doing so and never use his bunk as a stepping stool.
8. First one to the TV controls it unless someone asks to watch something else and you agree, or you get it taken from you..More fights are in the TV room then anywhere else.
9. If someone leaves a cup, shirt, jacket or book on a chair that means it's reserved.
10. Never throw food away off your tray until you ask if someone sitting at your table wants it, and always ask the guys of your race first.
11. ALWAYS give multible courtessy flushes when sh8tting...Your not paying the water bill.
12 Never shake a inmate to wake them...TAP THEM ON THE BOTTOM OF THIER FEET !
13. THE MAIN THING IS ALWAYS STAND BY YOUR WORD, if you say you'll do something make sure you do it, if something comes up where you can't follow through go to that person and explain why you can't..remember you can't hide from them in jail so it's best to work it out before things get out of hand.
14. If something goes down that doesn't concern you or your race don't even look up, roll over and read a book.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Pop some popcorn and watch Kiss of the Spider Woman tonight.

You might find some good instructional info there.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
the moment america invaded IRAQ;
sadam released all the prisoners;

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by KAKUSA

Thanks for the info. Hopefully I wont need to worry about much of anything during the month I'll be spending in jail. And unfortunately I may be in the medical unit because of my mental conditions and my medications needed. My psychiatrist happens to be the psych for the jail... Go figure. He has made special arrangements for me to get my medicine still while in jail, since most people aren't allowed to get the meds I'm on while in jail.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by highlyoriginal
reply to post by lucentenigma

No I've never been to jail before, so thanks for the tips - that includes everyone. I was honestly thinking of changing my date of going in just because I don't want to take any chances of something happening while I'm doing my time, however I wasn't thinking clearly when I was asked when I wanted to go in (I was given a month from my trial date to choose from to start my sentence). I had just got done my trial and was just trying to get everything out of the way and chose 2 weeks from my trial date since it gave me a chance to get everything in order, however I forgot about the economy and all the bs being expected to happen sometime soon (end of October).

Like I said I don't think anything huge will actually happen on the 25th, but if it does, I just would like to be prepared and know what to expect. Thank you to those of you who have given me some good advice. I will just do my time and keep my mouth shut and hope for the best that nothing will actually happen. Only thing that will let us all know however is time, so wait and see...

A few more tips;

1. Mind your business no matter what you see or hear.
2. NEVER let anyone TAKE anything from you and don't let anyone BORROW anything from you either. Not even a smoke.
3. NEVER show fear, ever. There is always someone wanting to test the new guy.
4. If someone disrespects you let him have it with everything you have right then and there.
5. Don't trust anyone and always watch your back.
6. Never stare at anyone as it is taken as serious aggression.

Remember, jail is not the same as prison so it won't be like the movies. But never let your guard down. BUT they do house serious criminals in with those with light crimes in jail. You have to go in with a harder mindset than your probably used to but do what you have to do.
Good luck.

Edit: I see you have lots of good tips already posted above.

[edit on 6-10-2009 by searching4thetruth]

[edit on 6-10-2009 by searching4thetruth]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I once found myself in Jail (not Prison) for letting someone use my telephone that I shouldn't have out of sympathy (long story, but it was a violation of the letter of the law, although not the spirit of the law and I was found Not Guilty). However, for one reason or another, despite being a model citizen, the guards decided to throw me in the "Gladiator Room" which is where all the 18-24 Hispanic Gang-bangers were kept (so called because of all the fighting between rival Gang members). Of course, I was a 30 year old Caucasian who neither speaks Spanish, nor have ever belonged to a Gang.

I quickly found that the advice my Grandmother gave me towards proper etiquette pertain in Jail as it does at the dinner table.

Do not speak unless spoken to.
Do not stare or point.
Mind your own business.
Be respectful and courteous.
Always help others who ask for it.

I really thought I was going to be a goner, and apparently that was the plan of the Guards. Thankfully, it had a happy ending.

First off, I went to make my phone call but the phone was broken. When I went to use it one Gang started laughing at me and told me that it hadn't worked since someone got angry at their family for not bailing them out and broke it. I shrugged my shoulders and disassembled the phone and repaired it. After I was done using the phone everyone ran into a line to use it as it had been out of commission for 6 weeks apparently. If you show yourself to be useful, no one will mess with you unless you have it coming.

Case in point, I used to work with the Sheriff's department when I was an Explorer Scout. So, I long ago learned the codes that dispatch uses. While I was biding my time in Jail I would make a point to listen to the scuttlebutt that happened on the radios of the Guards that walked by. When I overheard one of the Gang-bangers getting nervous and upset, wondering why his lawyer hadn't come to see him I asked if his name was Alverez. He told me, "Yeah, how did you know?" I told him that his lawyer just passed Administration and was in the elevator on the way up to see him. When word got around that I could make sense of what was being said on the Guards radios, no one gave me any trouble.

Jail food is disgusting. It's meant to be. The longer you've been in, the hungrier you get. Find the biggest, baddest guy in Jail and sit near them when your meal comes. Eat what you are willing to risk your life eating and then offer the rest to the biggest, baddest guy. He might look at you with a skeptical eye or ask if you spit in it, but he'll take it, and you've made a friend for your stay.

Don't ever ask what anyone is in for. Not only is it against Jailhouse/Prison rules, but in the process you end up unintentionally treating people like criminals. Assume everyone who is in Jail with you is Innocent and don't worry what they are in for. If you ask, it's tantamount to asking someone "So, when did you get Herpes?" Just don't go there.

Lastly, don't feel that you have to prove anything. There are those who will feel the need to be Alpha Dog of the block. Let them be Alpha Dog if it's so important to them. Don't dispute it if they get in your face. Just acknowledge their dominance, show them you aren't a threat to their dominance, and move on. If you contest them then you are going to be considered a potential threat and they are going to try to prove their superiority in ways you don't want to experience. Just acknowledge, accept and move on.

If you are in for the long haul, always order a Pack of Cigarettes with your allowance even if you don't smoke. Giving a Cigarette to someone wanting to bum one is a great way to make yourself appreciated by your fellow inmates.

Jail doesn't have to be horrible experience to survive. Take the opportunity to catch up on your reading, and always remember there are far worse situations to be in.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I spent 30 days in a county lock up... like you I was real worried about it...
the truth is we spent all day playing cards and watching talk shows on TV...

I can see why some people would rather be in jail than on the streets, it was like a vacation free food weight rooms basketball out in the yard... if your going to be in longer than that they even had free college classes

it ain't so bad... unless their going to throw you in one of those super max places????

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by KAKUSA
From the suggestions it sounds like No One has done real time so I'll fill you in on the real deal:

1. Mind your own business.
2. Never ever answer a gaurds question about another inmate, the answer is always..I DON"T KNOW NOTHING, I DIDN"T SEE NOTHING !
3. If a gaurd stops you to talk to you grab the nearest inmate and have them stand with you while your talking to him, that way you have a witness that you weren't ratting someone out to them.
4. The new guy in the cell always gets the top bunk, the lower bunks are the prime sleeping accomodations in jail ..the top dog takes them.
5 Never sit on someones bunk unless asked to do so, and then NEVER sit on thier pillow.
6. Never point at a inmate, that's what rats do in the court room.
7. If you have the top bunk always let the bottom bunk guy know your going to climb up into yours before doing so and never use his bunk as a stepping stool.
8. First one to the TV controls it unless someone asks to watch something else and you agree, or you get it taken from you..More fights are in the TV room then anywhere else.
9. If someone leaves a cup, shirt, jacket or book on a chair that means it's reserved.
10. Never throw food away off your tray until you ask if someone sitting at your table wants it, and always ask the guys of your race first.
11. ALWAYS give multible courtessy flushes when sh8tting...Your not paying the water bill.
12 Never shake a inmate to wake them...TAP THEM ON THE BOTTOM OF THIER FEET !
13. THE MAIN THING IS ALWAYS STAND BY YOUR WORD, if you say you'll do something make sure you do it, if something comes up where you can't follow through go to that person and explain why you can't..remember you can't hide from them in jail so it's best to work it out before things get out of hand.
14. If something goes down that doesn't concern you or your race don't even look up, roll over and read a book.

Forget the bottom bunk;
top bunk is the best; its the farthest away from the toilet, you dont want piss splashing on your pillow;
and some fool on top bunk to annoy you;
think of it as living in an apartment building; bottom floor gets the most noise and trash;
older folks like bottom bunk because they cant jump;

Dont spit in the sink; hold down the flush button the whole time you poop;
use bed sheets as curtains for privacy; no on wants to see you poop;

Be a leader; followers gets owned like a bitch

Anonymously snitch on people who are causing trouble around you; like robbing; stealing or harrassment or whatever; write a note; use the guards to your advantage

Borrow lots of books and magazines; and then trade them with others who have books or magazines and then trade them back to who gave you the magazines;
dont trade anything personal; maybe ask first;
the guy will probably be sick of reading the same magazine everyday and would love something new to read;
you will be known as the entertainment king or the magazine/book shop;

tell the guards to close your cell doors when you leave your cell; so that no one can steal from you;

enroll in every single extracurricular activity available;

become friends with the most hardcore; but dont follow; then you could watch them act like retards

if you want to prank your friends; get some really really cold water and then throw it at them while they are in the shower;

and finally practice your pickup lines on female employees

[edit on 6-10-2009 by DjSharperimage]

[edit on 6-10-2009 by DjSharperimage]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
All I can tell you is "a month in jail aint #. Quit pissing in your pants over it for Christ's sake. The world did OK with you on the outside it will take care of itself while you are inside. What the guy with the ATF logo said,

That float one flush one rule is no joke. There is only one air mass in there. Foul the air and it puts people in a foul mood. I would add start doing a lot of push ups and sit ups. You need your punching arms and stomach tight. Do lots of working out while you are in because people just leave those kinds of guys alone for the most part. Kind of like a tiger in a cage attitude.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by highlyoriginal
reply to post by DaMod

No need for smart*ss remarks. I am very against drinking and driving, my first DUI was given to me because I had my prescription medications in my car (needed for anxiety), and I was angry at the cop for going through my pill bottles and counting my pills, so he then responded "You know what, you pissed me off, I'm giving you a DUI." So I said fine, I'll take a blood test, and was later told my levels for my medications were too high for me to be driving. However there is something called 'tolerance' and I, at the time, had no way of bringing forth someone who could back me up.

My second DUI I did deserve, I made a mistake and it wont happen again.

But seriously, obviously avoiding a problem is the best way to stay away from the consequences of the said problem, any idiot knows that, no need to try and sound above me because you haven't made a mistake I have.

I don't know anyone who is perfect. EVERYBODY makes mistakes. Seems you are remorseful and thats good.
I know some of the replies here are getting to you, just don't let them. Those kinds of remarks are from people who have never had to deal with what your going through, so I'm sure they just don't understand how its making you feel.
Keep your head up and know that it will be a learning experience and a good character builder, if you let it.
It will be over before you know it man.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I didn't know there were as many People in the "know" about jail
I guess that is what You get from the USA; the nation who is locking up the largest numbers of People in the World, and often not guilty.

I live a great deal of the year outside of the continental USA Prison, but I would be really on the inside there with what isn't a problem outside here.

It's not against the law here to have open containers, or talk back to authority as it is the case in the USA, now

I have spent one 36 hour stint in the county lock up, and it was all a load of crap that put me there. I spent the night with a drunk guy named Pepe; who then proceeded to place his drunk foot into the toilet, and hence got it stuck there.
for real

The next day at my Magistration(Sp) I had a great conversation with the guy I was handcuffed to. I really liked him. When the judge read off his charges it was quite the shock. The man was a mid level drug runner, who in the run up to being caught had shot a number of po-lice in the process.

I guess he was going away for good, but I thought he was an alright Person.

Good Luck

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I never once said that going to jail for a month is 'hard time' or displayed any emotion implying that it's a big deal. I simply wanted some peoples opinions, I totally agree 1 month isn't crap, I got off lucky, technically I was facing 6 months to 5 years, but I was lucky and got it all knocked down because I had a good lawyer and the cops messed stuff up with their reports so they weren't fully credible.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Best advice....

Soap
on
a
Rope

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by lucentenigma

Keep your ears and eyes open and your mouth shut until you learn the ropes.
[/quoteyou'll go thru PROCESSING first. to get classified. takes along time and is done in the TANKS

Advice

First don't worry about anything outside. You will be safe inside as long as you know the PROGRAM. The outside will still be there when you get out.
listen to the deputy's.

JAIL IS RACIAL
Once they HOUSE you, if it 's a dorm (most likely) show RESPECT. The first chance you get, ask someone of your same race ," who the DORM REP is? If it is BUNK STATUS in the dorm., keep your butt on your bunk.
Wait for floor time or CHOW time or whenever you get the chance
introduce yourself to him like a man (not a tough guy).

Ask him who the other dorm reps are he will probly introduce you to them.
If not intro yourself when there is opertunity.Your Rep should be there for you if you mention you just popped your cherry.They should laugh pretty good if you say that.
From there you should practically be short timing.
That should get you thru, without getting, chin checked, torpedoed, beat
down, or party blanketed .
You may not even be there long enough to get a job.
Not much to it past that.
If you read this and take heed I know you'll be fine.
Just don't be a tail wagger and stay off the leg.

What the hell why does everybody think this is some kind of who can come up w/ the most lame not even funny cleche answer contest.
If any of you people ever end up in this guys shoes.
Most likly you'd be torpedoed Ten minutes thru the gate.

Smart move op asking for advice
best thing you could have done
to help yourself.

also op if you go in there w/" a tiger in a cage attitude"
you won't last 10 minutes either ,

County is everything you make of it .
Nothing more
Nothing Less.

[edit on 6-10-2009 by randyvs]

[edit on 6-10-2009 by randyvs]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by highlyoriginal

You do not have to say it. This thread screams that you are scared about this jail time and are asking for advice. I am just saying. If you were not this thread would not exist IMHO. If that is not the case then sorry much but that is what the thread indicates by its very existence.

Hey at least I did not spout that "soap on a rope" crap like other who have obviously never done any time.

There is actually not really much of that force gay crap that I have seen in real life. Most of those who are treated like bitches in prison really are in fact that way by their nature. That myth serves the coppers to scare the whiners into confessions more than anything else.

[edit on 6-10-2009 by wayouttheredude]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join