It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google analytics TRACKING YOU: heartless NWO bastards

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
i as many of the members conserned about theyr privacy are using firefox+plugins to block certain coockies or malicios ads for ever being installed or displayed.
im sure the suits still have a nice way of tacking us,but its still nice to not be completly naked on the net.
but this monday on MOST of the pages i open i begin to see a small purple rectangular on the upper rght side of the pages that says "google analytics blablabla bull****"
i really didnt knew what the heck is that, it couldnt be spyware,my pc is more protected then nasa,besides i had so many plugins to protect my privacy and to not accept certain cookies. well searching..google..i guess its some kinda new webmaster service that allows them to track all your behavior and what and where you go on the net,somekinda java script cookie,maybe its installed when u even visit google,or installed when u visit a site supporting it,i dont know if this site uses it. maybe some member that knows more can explain what is this in a more smple way.
but there is a way to block it,or u can atleast try
go to c:/windows/system32/drivers/etc and open the file HOSTS with notepad
write a new line 127.0.0.1 www.google-analytics.com
and another new line 127.0.0.1 ssl.google-analytics.com
save your changes,now i hope your protected from this ever being installed or connected to theyr server to transmit info.
the host file is simply you write server addresses you like your pc to not connect you.
this problem is URGENT i dont want to see this thread wash down without a comment

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
it seems the purple square was coming from my ghostery plugin,it was simply warning me that the site was using google analytics?
is it ture? does at use google analytics? WHY?

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Stillalive

Done.

I noticed what you noticed too, that script is everywhere it seems.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Site owners use google analytics to keep stats of their web sites. I don't think you are seeing anything unusual.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I thought this was common knowledge actually. Perhaps only in my field (IT geek).

The google-analytics script is on most sites. You can easily block it using Adblock by simple adding the rule *google-analytics* to the list. For me, the script has been blocked 40.000 times since I put in a new installation of Firefox 3.5 a couple of months ago.

Google also uses tracking cookies so you should only allow cookies that are really needed for a site to function.

Another really good plugin is NoScript.

[edit on 6-10-2009 by Copernicus]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
man and i though i knewed all,well atleast we have this blocking info now so more people know it. i dont like being keept track on

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
You should use noscript, and adblock.

Profiling is just a way of life today

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
i tryed noscript before,but alot of sites failed to load,arent there any "light" settings

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Google Analytics is harmless. I use it on most of my sites. What it does it tells me things like..

- what keywords were searched for when a user ends up on my site.
With this data I can make sure my sites are optimised properly.

- what pages my users visited and how long the spent on each page.
This helps me to make sure that my content is engaging enough

- what browsers the users were surfing with.
I make sure my sites are cross-browser friendly, but it's still interesting to know.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
good,im also making a site,im sure to use some help.
its good to know that is harmless on your site,but im not sure about some other site,has anyone really broken the code to bits?

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Well it's free so you can check out the code in the analytics interface when you sign up. All you need is a google account in some form, which means if you have a gmail address you are already half way there.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Google analytics is not harmful? If you value your privacy, then you couldnt be more wrong.

Every single site you visit is logged into Google Analytics against your IP address. Some call it data mining, some call it 'harmless' profiling.

I wonder how many remember that when Opera browser became free, they managed it only after selling their souls to Google? ( And to Uncle Sam by the way) The paid for version of Opera did not send a feedback to Google Analytics at the click of a link. All subsequent free versions do.

One of the BEST options to detect and stop stats tracking for Firefox users is via Ghostery.

DONT Google for it, if you value your privacy. Google saves your IP address, search terms, date and time. USe scroogle, which gives you Googles search results MINUS the tracking.

Scroogle

Or better still, use Scroogle with an encrypted secure socket layer

SSL Scroogle

This is of course apart from using a onion router like Tor, Privoxy etc etc.

Online privacy and safety are extremely critical.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by the siren

Google Analytics is harmless. I use it on most of my sites. What it does it tells me things like..

Not the point, your rights should be that your info is private, does not matter what the people do with it.

How do google make there money,a nd what are they doing with all the info.

You would also assume google is part of american military base somehow, thats why its got so big.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
That doesn't help you FYI, it just tells google it couldn't make a connection with your browser/cookies, but it also still tells google what site you loaded... so in effect it doesn't block JACK

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
it still tracks me? then how to block it? im allready using ghostery,it was the one telling me about google analytics,i just disabled the telling

new topics

top topics

join