It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-ATTACKS: Iraq Governing Council President Killed in Car Bombing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 02:14 AM
link   
The current president of Iraq's transitional Governing Council, Ezzedine Salim, also known as Abdel Zahra Osman Mohammad, has reportedly been killed in a Baghdad car bomb attack. The blast occured in the center of the city at a Green Zone checkpoint. At least seven people have died; eight other people were injured, including two US soldiers.

Sky.com

Salim was traveling in a convoy of five cars and waiting to pass a checkpoint into the Green Zone. Witnesses describe a red Volkswagon speeding up next to Salim's as containing the suicide bomber.

Salim was born Abdel Zahra Othman Mohammed in Basra in 1943. He was considered a threat by the Baath party and fled to Kuwait and then Iran. He joined the anti-Saddam political party Al Dawa al Islamiyah while in Iran and returned to Iraq last year to join the interim governing council. In recent days he has vocally opposed the beheading of American Nick Berg, calling the action "unacceptable."

Related Stories:
Guardian.co.uk
NY Newsday

[Edited on 17-5-2004 by Banshee]

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 02:26 AM
link   
I just seems that there will never be peace.... I mean the insugents consider anyone that is working for the coalition a traitor. But, how can a govt be realistically set up with cooperating. Hmmm... seems like a catch 22 situation......

VzH

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 02:50 AM
link   

mean the insugents consider anyone that is working for the coalition a traitor. But, how can a govt be realistically set up with cooperating.

Most of you tought it will be like the US troops liberating Europe in 1945...

In fact it s like the nazis occupating Europe...

torture -humiliation - racism - against arabs - acts of daily iraqi resistance - the stealing of the ressources of the country (oil, US companies contracts) - a muppet iraqi government.

Of course UN doesn t want to take part

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by VzH
In fact it s like the nazis occupating Europe...

not hardly, if that was so we'd be publicily executing prisoners for every act of resistance, looking for people to put in death camps, we would have enslaved iraqis to build weapons, bases, labor camps, we would be testing bio and chemical weapons, discecting, cutting open to see their organs at work as they are awake, etc, etc.

you cant compare anyone to how evil nazi germany truly was, this occupation isnt like germany for one reason only, we obliterated germany into submission with fire bombing that left nothing, there was no way they could resist even if they wanted.

[Edited on 17-5-2004 by namehere]

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 03:17 AM
link   
SITUATION VACANT

President of Iraq's transitional Governing Council

Poistion may include danger money.
Although long term chances are that the successful applicant will have a short lifespan.

Benefits:
Permanent bodyguard - useful for food tasting, letter opening and carrying your AK47.

Free flack jacket, only one previous owner, slightly stained.

There is a 6 month probationary period where you may be mailed home in a small box if problems arise.

After 6 months the position will become even more tenuous as the American forces attempt to leave. This will require you to utilise all your survival skills to defeat every rabid Islamic fanatic who wants to do God a favor and kill you.

Future prospects.
In all liklihood you can expcect to move on from this position to occupying a hospital bed, learn to work with orthopedic limbs, or enter heaven with your quota of virgins.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 03:56 AM
link   
another one bites the dust !

but why people can't you see that these arabs are in no
way capable of organising their life ?

because they are not interested in ORGANISED LIFE !

they want to have around them pandemonium so nobody can see their dirty bizz going on and manipulation of the poor minded crowd by fear and punishment.

do you really believe these arab FAT CATS care about anything for the well been of their country ?
forget it !

[Edited on 17-5-2004 by NOGODSINTHEUNIVERSE]

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOGODSINTHEUNIVERSE
another one bites the dust !

but why people can't you see that these arabs are in no
way capable of organising their life ?

because they are not interested in ORGANISED LIFE !

they want to have around them pandemonium so nobody can see their dirty bizz going on and manipulation of the poor minded crowd by fear and punishment.

do you really believe these arab FAT CATS care about anything for the well been of their country ?
forget it !

[Edited on 17-5-2004 by NOGODSINTHEUNIVERSE]

more like they don't want a western way of life, as its almost completely opposite of their belief structures. while there may be a few iraqi's gaining from it, the vast majority get nothing. Why should they fight then? Because they want to live their life how they've been doing it the past 1300 years - without us.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Banshe,
Please tell me Salim didn't start his
Anti-Sadam party as a pre-teen in the 1950s.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by VzH

[/B]
Most of you tought it will be like the US troops liberating Europe in 1945...

Most of who? Please don't generalize.

phaedrus

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 11:12 AM
link   
LOL @ Netchicken's post...

Who wouldn't want a job like that? Hehehehehe...

Yeah, really seems there'll never be peace there.

[sarcasm] I'm starting to wonder if theses Iraqis really deserved the great liberation we gave them...[/sarcasm]

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 11:15 AM
link   
""The assassination of the President of the Iraqi Governing Council, Ezzidin Salim, is a shocking and tragic loss. Our thoughts are with his family. We pray that God may give them strength in this awful hour of grief. Mr Salim worked tirelessly for the interests of Iraq. He strove for the downfall of the former regime and the birth of a democratic Iraq. He returned to Iraq after its liberation and continued to serve his country, making an enormous contribution to the work of the Governing Council."cpa

I first heard about this around 4pm UK time the quote above is from the Coalition Provisional Authority I could't think of any better words to say here�s a link from the BBc on the car bombing.

The current head of Iraq's US-appointed Governing Council has been killed in a car bomb blast near the headquarters of the US-led coalition in Baghdad.
Ezzedine Salim was near a checkpoint outside the compound when the bomb went off, killing him and several others.

It is not yet clear whether Mr Salim was the target of the suicide attack. A US military spokesman said it bore all the hallmarks of attacks carried out by supporters of Jordanian-born al-Qaeda suspect Abu Musab al-Zarqawi.
BBC Ezzedine Salim

[Edited on 17-5-2004 by SE7EN]

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 11:23 AM
link   
This is my oppinion in how to fix the Iraq problem, release Sadamn from US Custody and put him back in power.
Problem solved

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 12:14 PM
link   
seems pretty convenient to me. That June 20 date is looking more and more flimsy.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Textseems pretty convenient to me. That June 20 date is looking more and more flimsy

I have said all along that any person or group that US. backs up in iraq as ruling council will be kill by radical groups against US. policies.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I guess that we will have to stay a bit longer.

top topics

join