It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The universe is just a garden

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I was looking at some space images the other day and saw one referring to a sun that was being "born" and it got me thinking. It seems to be rare to spot a sun being born, most have already grown over billions of years. I was thinking that this new sun is being created too late and will not properly form like the previous suns.

This reminded me of my garden this year, there's still some tomatos growing but it's too late in the season and these tomatos wont grow to their full size and wont taste right. I started thinking about similarities of my garden and the universe and came up with these ideas:

The Universe = my garden
The Suns = my tomatos (the fruit part of the plant)
Gravity = the water for the tomatos, without it there would be just dust and no suns (no tomatos)
Black Matter = the leafy and stalky part of the plant, holding the plant together, which is most of the mass in the garden (universe)
Comets = the bugs that pollinate the flowers, they bring life to the fruit
Big Bang = begining of the season, and the end

Since most of the suns have already seemed to have formed in the universe, the next logical step is the end of the season, i.e. the collapse of the universe. Once it collapses, the Big Bang will occur again, and a new season will start.

So maybe we're all just living in some cosmic garden, I guess the question would be then, who's going to eat the tomatos?

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
well if your waiting for the collapse... grab a snikers. Its gonna be a while.

Hey in a matter of years you figured out a better anology for the universe than billions of religious people that wrote the bible.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf

Hey in a matter of years you figured out a better anology for the universe than billions of religious people that wrote the bible.

Very well put. I have to agree with you on that.

Could it also be possible, that since there are many theories of the universe expanding, that the new sun is part of a newer part of the universe that is still forming?

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Like wise.
At first it sounds like something a five year old would come up with, but it really is quite an amazing analogy, if you don't mind my saying so.

Sometimes the simplest thoughts are the most eloquent.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by salsaking

Stars being born today are NOT being born too late. Don't forget, our Sun was also born "later" than many of the stars that exist today and had existed in the past.

The proof of this is the fact that we have an abundance of heavy elements in our solar system -- such as elements heavier than iron. Even some of the relatively lighter elements, such as carbon, can attest to the fact that our Sun was born late.

As far as we know, those heavy elements are only born in supernovae -- that's when heat and pressures are high enough to fuse basic elements into heavier elements. Stars born early in the life of the universe did not have these heavy elements -- they were balls of hydrogen (the lightest element) that were fusing atoms together to for helium. When those early star went supernova, the helium atoms fused together to form heavier atoms which drifted through space for several 100 million years until they formed new stars -- which lived their own lives before going supernova themselves -- thus creating yet heavier elements. Eventually, a cloud of these heavier elements coalesced into the disk that would eventually form our metal-rich solar system and Sun.

So all of the metals we use -- and probably all of the carbon that is in our bodies -- were created in long-dead stars that went supernova billions of years ago. Our Sun and solar system is probably made of materials from several generations of older stars. If our Sun was born early-on in the life of the universe, there would be no heavy elements to form our rocky world -- and we would not exist.

Like Carl Sagan once said, "We are made of star-stuff" -- meaning that almost all of the atoms in our bodies heavier than hydrogen we once inside of stars.

There are stars out there right now being formed from heavy element-rich clouds, such as the one that begot our solar system.

[edit on 10/4/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Well there are gas clouds in our galaxy and other galaxies all over the universe. Most of these gas clouds are much better than our own solar system, possiblely 10s to 100s of light years across. New stars of all sizes are born inside these gas clouds. It is not too late for them to start their very own solar systems.

Its true lots or most stars have been alive for billions of years, but eventually they will blow up leaving stardust and gas clouds in their wake.

The matter in the universe is constantly being recycled.

[edit on 4-10-2009 by tooo many pills]

[edit on 4-10-2009 by tooo many pills]

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
As wert said - great analogy...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6ca4535352e3.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 10/4/2009 by happygolucky]

join