It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA to broadcast LCROSS impact live.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by zombiemann

Kind of reminds me of the Venus transit in 2004. I'd never seen such a huge flood of images on the internet surrounding a single astronomical event before in one day. I was lucky in that I could see the end of it at sunrise just by taking a 5 minute drive to the park. I met some guys there who had traveled from the other side of the country just to catch the last few fleeting minutes of it with their cameras. We swapped images after it and had a great time. I wonder if anyone is traveling out farther west to have a better chance to catch this event?

I think my strategy will be to take a huge stack of images before and after the impact and then subtract the before image from the after image to try and tease out any trace of the impact plume.

[edit on 7-10-2009 by ngchunter]

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter

Oooh, that idea of removing the "before" images from the stack certainly has some merit. I would love to take a trip somewhere to see this myself but the logistics just aren't there.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   
It's exciting, I do hope they find what they are looking for!
Unfortunately for me all I have is a pair of binoculars so I hope I can see something through this

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   
NASA TV Schedule covering LCROSS impact, is as follows:

6:15 a.m. (EST: New York/Washington DC time) : LCROSS Live Impact Coverage.

10 a.m. (EST: New York/Washington DC time) : LCROSS Post-Impact News Conference.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by superdebz
Anyone know the time that it will be uk time?
i would figure it out but i have to go do my washing up >_<

NASA TV Schedule covering LCROSS impact, is as follows:

Friday October 9, 2009-
6:15 a.m. (EST: New York/Washington DC time) : LCROSS Live Impact Coverage.

That would be 11:15 a.m. Friday 9 October, 2009 London UK time.
( Daylight Saving Time is in effect on this date in London )

As in GMT it should be 10:15 a.m.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Hi all:

Warning: stupid questions here.

What would happen if the moon split in two?
We would now have two moons? (Would one part fly away or will both parts stay around?)
How long would it take for each peice to return to a spherical shape?
Would this wreck havoc on our atmosphere and also the oceans (tides)?

Why would we want to blast something at the moon? This would clearly upset all the people, bases, aliens, and anything else living up there. Are we that stupid?

I think the aliens will not allow this to occur. Watch there will be some kind of malfunction, or the projectile will miss the moon or not fire at all.

I don't like fooling with the moon. We need the moon! We love our moon! We need its cheese.

-EyesII

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:24 AM
link   
The coverage has begun. So glad, completely clouded over here today.

www.nasa.gov...

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Im tuned in already. It looks like Fox News and probably CNN as well are going to be following this as well.

Who all is watching?

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Im watching also, just started a new thread to discuss it as it happens.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please come join me.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:38 AM
link   
I don't know what I was expecting but I find it interesting that the separation between the module its self and the spent centaur module was accomplished via springs, Thinking about it, it makes perfect sense. Just goes to show that sometimes low tech still comes in handy

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by zombiemann

Simple science is usually the safest way of doing things
Springs what can go wrong?

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:56 AM
link   
good morning guys, got NASA TV on now, 3:52 P.D.T calif. USA, and it appears the moon is in black and white. at least it looks like that on the approach approx. 3400 miles up from the surface. i wonder if this is deliberate?

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Possibly they are using B&W imaging because visible spectrum imaging is low on the order of precedence and they are try to save data transmission bandwidth for more critical things like guidance and status monitoring.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Nasa just mentioned dropping themedia webcam traffic because of telematry problems!

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Well I don't think there's anything to be seen in the pictures I took, but between exposures I saw a very brief faint flash along the crater rim. I'm starting to doubt myself though since every other report coming in from professional and amateur alike say that there was nothing you could see at visible wavelengths. I was only using an 8" Schmidt-Cassegrain, so how could I have seen something that other amateurs observing from darker locations with much larger scopes missed? I must be losing my mind.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ngchunter
Well I don't think there's anything to be seen in the pictures I took, but between exposures I saw a very brief faint flash along the crater rim. I'm starting to doubt myself though since every other report coming in from professional and amateur alike say that there was nothing you could see at visible wavelengths. I was only using an 8" Schmidt-Cassegrain, so how could I have seen something that other amateurs observing from darker locations with much larger scopes missed? I must be losing my mind.

Interesting observation and remark!!

Was the flash you saw in the impact area?

How do you explain that others did not report it? Am sure you did not lose your mind. Are they hiding something ???

Did you take a picture of the flash? If you did we like to see it.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 01:38 AM
link   
I missed the whole show

Can anyone tell me where I can see a recording of the impact?

Any member posted it in any thread here?

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gorbash
Interesting observation and remark!!

Was the flash you saw in the impact area?

Yes, it was a dim flash of light that looked like it came from within the target crater, Cabeus.

How do you explain that others did not report it? Am sure you did not lose your mind. Are they hiding something ???

What's there to hide? Especially other amateurs, what could they possibly be hiding? I personally know some of the guys who reported seeing nothing in telescopes twice the size of mine. They would have said if they had seen anything. How do I explain this discrepency? I don't, I don't know why I saw what I saw.

Did you take a picture of the flash? If you did we like to see it.

The only reason I saw it by eye was because my camera wasn't taking a picture at that moment. I was using my digital SLR. SLRs use a mirror&prism system to show you what the film/CCD will see. When you take the picture the mirror flips up and blocks the viewfinder from seeing anything while the CCD records. I was just looking through the viewfinder for a few seconds between pictures when I saw the flash, meaning I didn't get a picture of it. Even had I known it was going to happen it was way too fast to even try to time an exposure right to capture it. If I had one of those super-awesome new canon cameras that can record full HD video, then maybe I could have recorded it, but I can't possibly afford such a thing right now.

[edit on 10-10-2009 by ngchunter]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join