It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

[TTSSC] Uncertainty by KJ

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Uncertainty surrounded me like a pride of lions circling their prey before going for the kill. But, I carried on, confident I'd reach my destination before it was too late.
A scream. Like that of a new mother having her child taken from her. Pure anguish. But, I carried on, positive I was doing the right thing.
Hurried footsteps suddenly came from behind me, so I sped up. I would reach my destination, with no interruptions.
The footsteps died away. Another scream, closer this time. Still the uncertainty blanketed me. But I reached my destination.

Atop a hill, looking down on a rodent-infested town, I awaited my destiny.

Another scream, more footsteps and suddenly, nothing was uncertain. I knew everything. I slowly turned my back on that filthy town, to face my stalker. And he was terrified. My eyes burned pure hatred into his, and at that moment he knew it wasn't my time.

"Go." and he ran. I watched him. He didn't stop until he reached the safety of his home.

The sun rose, as it does every day. Birds sang, as they do every day. I cried, like I never had done before. They weren't tears of pain, hurt or sadness. They were tears of anger, of hatred, but most of all, they were tears of regret. I shouldn't have done what I had done, I knew that now. I knew that my actions on that fateful night were why I was here. Why I couldn't leave. Why I couldn't die.

The sun should've burned me to a crisp. The man who stood behind me should have staked my cold, black heart. The darkness should have swallowed me whole, never to be seen again. But it seemed I had something else to do before then. Depressed, I went home. If home is what you could call it. A disused barn was my resting place. My sanctuary from the disgusting world.

I wasn't always so disapproving of life. I had a wife, kids, a house, a dog and a steady job. I had friends. But when I was in that barn, I had only myself and the few rats that dared to scurry across the ground.
So I slept. I slept for as long as I could as often as I could, hoping that the answer to my salvation would come to be in a dream. Years passed, and I grew more desperate for an answer. It came to me in a particularly lucid dream, and I knew what I had to do.

Entering the house, I could smell the fear that was unknown to everyone else at this moment. It was like smelling the future. A sweet, sickly future. Bursting into the bedroom, he awoke with a yell. There was that fear, but it wasn't as strong as I expected. There was understanding there too. There was acceptance. He knew what was coming as much as I did. I leaned over him, and sliced his throat. As the blood spewed from the wound, staining everything it touched, I ran. It was my time now. There was no uncertainty surrounding me as I ran now. There were no screams, no footsteps. The world was so clear, and for a brief moment, I thought I might miss it. Idiotic. Of course I wouldn't. This world had destroyed my soul, left me with nothing but a longing for death.

Atop a hill, looking down on a rodent-infested town, I awaited my destiny.

The sun rose, as it does every day. The birds sang, as they do every day. I died.

[edit on 3-10-2009 by suicide__x]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Great story KJ. I just wish you hadn't died at the end. You can certainly write so why not submit a story for the contest? This one could be thrown into the contest by adding the old TTSSC in the title. Maybe a few more paragraphs. I'm not sure if it's five hundred words.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Great story KJ. I just wish you hadn't died at the end. You can certainly write so why not submit a story for the contest? This one could be thrown into the contest by adding the old TTSSC in the title. Maybe a few more paragraphs. I'm not sure if it's five hundred words.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jackflap

Thanks, changed it.

Did a word count - 599 words.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Thanks for adding this to the contest. I kept thinking about Vampyres as I read it and I'm quite sure that was the correct i9nterpretation.

Darned good read, s_x.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Yeah, that was what I was thinking as I wrote it.

Thanks.

KJ

top topics

join