It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secession movement goes beyond Texas

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Secession movement goes beyond Texas

www.mcclatchydc.com

AUSTIN — As head of the Texas Nationalist Movement, Daniel Miller of Nederland believes it's time for the Lone Star State to sever its bond with the United States and return to the days when Texas was an independent republic.

"Independence. In our lifetime," Miller's organization proclaims on its Web site.

When Gov. Rick Perry suggested that some Texans might want to secede from the Union because they are fed up with the federal government, the remarks drew nationwide news coverage and became fodder for late-night comedians.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 04:23 AM
link   
I say that it is time for Texas to Leave the United States - I am frankly quite tired of all the children's play going on about this - like the rest of America cares anymore. Texas and its presidents have done nothing but start and continue wars that have helped push America to the brink of collapse and bankruptcy. Johnson, Bush and Bush are in my opinion the worst of all presidents the United States have had. Texas - please stop threatening to leave like a child holding their breath to get what they want - JUST LEAVE already. Within 6 months you will be begging for US assistance from the Mexican Army who will want their land and oil back!

www.mcclatchydc.com

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 04:38 AM
link   
It's posturing, and nothing else.

The vast majority of Texans don't want to secede. While 31% recognize the state's right to secede, only 18% actually want to. Source

What you basically have here are talking heads in Texas, pandering to a radical minority that makes up a sizable portion of their core constituency.

There are many national companies based out of Texas that would likely jump ship and leave the state if they ever did secede (to avoid tariffs), which would ring the death knell for Texas's economy. Without any national defense, Mexican drug cartels would begin to move in overnight. Texas would basically become a wasteland in a few short years.

Texas has nothing to gain from secession. A move such as that could only be damaging to all parties involved; Texans, Americans, etc. Not to mention the fact that it would be an enormously unpopular move with the state's own populace.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 05:00 AM
link   
could it be a way of avoiding federal debt... maybe secession will become the trend in a few years?

[edit on 3-10-2009 by purplemonkey]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 05:37 AM
link   
If the good people of Texas really want to secede, I say let them, and good riddance. I don't like their exports.

Texas used to be a republic. I'm not sure how they ever wound up as a state, but I'm thinking maybe that wasn't such a great idea. Not that they're necessarily bad folks, but their mentality seems to be in sharp disagreement with much of the rest of the US.

Of course, I doubt it will ever happen. I think both the US and Texas would face some serious problems, both political and financial. OTOH, having Texas as a buffer could help protect us against the dangers of Mexico.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 05:52 AM
link   
I've spent a decade in Texas. If they leave the union, I'm heading back out there.

Let's face it -- the Federals have murdered our citizens, destroyed our liberties and stolen our assets. They have committed so many crimes and strayed so far away from their true function, they no longer have any legitimate claim to power. Why should we continue to support this blood-sucking leech?

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 07:15 AM
link   
hooray, freedom to texas from the democidal satanic american empire of evil

three cheers for texas

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
* Singing

"The Secession is the solution, Revolution, let's multiply the manifestations, let's have some action !"

Just when i thought Americans didn't have no balls in between the legs. They're still small tho, lots of peeps to wake up and take out of their (non paid) bed to get the job done.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd

The vast majority of Texans don't want to secede. While 31% recognize the state's right to secede, only 18% actually want to. Source

What you basically have here are talking heads in Texas, pandering to a radical minority that makes up a sizable portion of their core constituency.

While I agree with you here, I think that Texas' occasional threat talk is refreshing. It reminds both the federal government and the citizens that if they did want to do this, they could.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Personally, I think this movement is great and comes are just the right time. Right now an oppressive government enslaves us all, why not just shun that oppression, turn our collective backs on them and their unfair taxes and unsafe imports, and their Federal Laws that keep us from doing what we want to do to make money on the world market? Federal Law really has no power beyond 10 miles past Washington DC anyway.

If 10 States secede, the rest will follow. when the remaining State see themselves standing with a unpopular government which no longer has power, they too will join. The collection, or rather Confederation would quickly be fully recognized by world leaders and Nations, and with trade barriers removed, trade would flourish once again.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadoMan

I say that it is time for Texas to Leave the United States - Within 6 months you will be begging for US assistance from the Mexican Army who will want their land and oil back!

www.mcclatchydc.com

You havent spent much time in Texas, have you? The mexican Army? "begging for US assistance"?

You might want to check your facts. We do more than play cowboys and indians here!

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I'll move to Texas if they do break away. I live in Georgia and we have a pussy governor (Perdue) who is crying like a little b i t c h about water. We just got a flood, I think we're good now on water. Go Texas and show just how big your BALLS are!

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadoMan
I say that it is time for Texas to Leave the United States - I am frankly quite tired of all the children's play going on about this - like the rest of America cares anymore. Texas and its presidents have done nothing but start and continue wars that have helped push America to the brink of collapse and bankruptcy. Johnson, Bush and Bush are in my opinion the worst of all presidents the United States have had. Texas - please stop threatening to leave like a child holding their breath to get what they want - JUST LEAVE already. Within 6 months you will be begging for US assistance from the Mexican Army who will want their land

Quoted for truth.

Good riddance. Love it or leave it. All that.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by liveandletlive

I too thought that sounded stupid. I know Texans don't play around I can't imagine them having troubles fending off anyone.

[edit on 3-10-2009 by Zenlike]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Why all the venom directed at Texas? What about the other states mentioned in the article - oh, that's right, you didn't read the article, you just jumped on to display your hatred of Texas.

When more than a few states put forth 10th Amendment resolutions, everybody was Yeah, Rah, Rah but now when some Texans voice the desire to separate from the US, we are all a bunch of slugs. What about those folks in Vermont who want to seceed? Guess it's okay for them, huh? How about the Northwestern separatist who want a Republic of Cascadia? And how about those folks in New Hampshire, Alaska and Hawaii that want to see their states seceed? I don't see any hatred boiling up for them. Only Texans get the brunt of the hatred for wishing to seceed. Can't help but wonder why.

I'd be willing to bet that some of those that are so quick to vocalize their hate of Texas would be breaking their legs to get here as fast as they could if Texas ever did suceed.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Without any national defense, Mexican drug cartels would begin to move in overnight. Texas would basically become a wasteland in a few short years.

I do not know where you have been, but for the last twenty years the drug cartels HAVE BEEN MOVING IN. The Federal Government has done nothing to stop them and under Janet Napolitano is actually hindering the states in their effort to curtail the crime wave that has taken over the Southwestern United States. In fact the federal government just mandated that 130 border patrol agents be transferred from the active and over worked southern border with Mexico to the inactive and under worked northern border with Canada.

Where I live we constantly hear about incursions by Mexican military into Arizona and about drug enforcers in the Mexican Military coming to Arizona to enforce the will of the cartels. We also hear about kidnappings, and murders and home invasions. It is interesting to note that none of those arrested and prosecuted for those crimes has been a CANADIAN NATIONAL. THEY HAVE ALL COME FROM MEXICO. So why does the federal government want to transfer border patrol agents to the border with Canada?

I will bet the good TEXANS would like to know the answer to that one.

I would also be willing to bet that Texans would repel the Mexican Military working for the cartels A WHOLE LOT BETTER AND FASTER than the Federal Government has done. The Texas National Guard probably has more planes than the whole Mexican air force.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
While everyone is looking to Texas, there are movements for secession in other states as well.

New Hampshire this past Spring picked up a lot of momentum from both Democrats and Republicans alike, but we don't hear about how stupid these folks are.

Secession would do a number of things, some directly for the particular state, some directly affecting the nation.

Right now we as taxpayers send our money to Washington, who takes their cut as administration ineffeciencies, wastes a good 10-15% from outright incompetence, passes other percentages to other nations, and then will send back to that same state a very small percentage of what they paid in.

This waste and inefficiency is all eliminated by keeping the money in the state. No IRS. The states are already set up to collect sales taxes, and they simply up the rate instead of "income taxes" on capital. Now, pimps, ho's, drug dealers, corporations, visitors, and EVERYONE alike pays equal tax rates, and those taxes are based on consumption.

No more sending money to support Khadaffi's family, or funding studies on the sperm motility of egrets during "climate change."

Thus, the tax rate is drastically reduced, through simple efficiency. Their seat of government is right there in their state capital.

In addition, once you secede, you just eliminated a ton of debt that Washington has piled on your backs. This puts tens of thousands of dollars back in the pockets of every man, woman, and child in that breakaway state.

Now you don't have some clowns far away mandating things that may not even effect your state. The fed wants to homogenize the states, and yet the states are all different, with different needs.

You hold to your own, you take care of your own yard, and you'll see other states lining up to do the identical same thing.

Of course they'll eventually create a new nation, a loose confederation of states, just as we were originally set up to do.

But only after breaking up can we begin to fix all the problems that all center in and around Washington from. Washington is the source of 99% of all our problems.

They never fix anything. They only complicate matters beyond correcting.

The reason Texas keeps coming up, is because it's a very large state, it has a sense of state identification among its citizens, and IF it decides to secede, it's the beginning of the new beginning.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   

And I can tell you that those polls were most likely taken in Austin, Inner-Loop Houston, and Inner-Loop Dallas.

When you get out of the metro areas, is when you get to TEXAS. And the rumblings are there.

Granted, Perry was more than likely saying this to pander for votes, BUT . . .
I ask you why would a governor go out on a crazy limb for a few thousand votes? Answer: He knows what Texan's. He knows the Texan attitude. He is a shrewd person. He would not sacrifice his run for reelection by saying something that most Texan's would not agree with.

There are many national companies based out of Texas that would likely jump ship and leave the state if they ever did secede (to avoid tariffs), which would ring the death knell for Texas's economy. Without any national defense, Mexican drug cartels would begin to move in overnight. Texas would basically become a wasteland in a few short years.

You mean like all the tariffs that the US has now on imports from Mexico and Canada?

Texas has nothing to gain from secession. . .

Except for freedom . . . which is all that really matters.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Well the Title of this thread is Secession movement goes beyond Texas

Despite the OPs obvious Bias against Texas I think it is clear more than just Texas is thinking about Secession. It goes beyond Texas exclusively into all the states that are getting fed up with the Fed.. Tired of Tazing...sick of the system that abuses the citizen and bails out the billionaire.

We are all reaching are boiling point...our limit break. The time when we can no longer accept the abuses put on to us. I know we are all predisposed to suffer evil while evil is sufferable... But we are reaching that point when the evils are no longer sufferable.

Not just Texas but all of us.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiron613
If the good people of Texas really want to secede, I say let them, and good riddance. I don't like their exports.

You do not like a lot of things then . . .

You do not like beef

You do not like fruit or vegetables

You do not like cotton

You do not like oil

You do not like calculators or computers

You do not like electricity

The Economy of Texas You might learn some things.

Texas used to be a republic. I'm not sure how they ever wound up as a state, but I'm thinking maybe that wasn't such a great idea. Not that they're necessarily bad folks, but their mentality seems to be in sharp disagreement with much of the rest of the US.

You mean how Texas wants to keep their freedoms instead of having the government control everything?

Once you get out of the east and west coast states, you will find that most states have similar ideals to Texas, but Texas is more . . . hard core about them.

Of course, I doubt it will ever happen. I think both the US and Texas would face some serious problems, both political and financial. OTOH, having Texas as a buffer could help protect us against the dangers of Mexico.

Please read the link I posted

The US would be much more in a hole than Texas would be.

[edit on 10/3/2009 by Lemon.Fresh]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join