It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Dark Energy Creating Infinite Universes???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
After looking at this link, www.dailygalaxy.com... rom-destru.html
I am a little confused. If someone can help me out here by explaining to me, how could are universe be destroyed if we can see other galaxys?? Are they saying that the milky way is the only galaxy in this universe?? Can someone please clear this up for me

If link does not work please go to www.dailygalaxy.com...

And you will find the article second one down

[edit on 1-10-2009 by Maddogkull]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

It's really hard to separate the writer's cynicism from his attempt to articulate the idea of dark energy, but I can relate what I understand of the situation.

The universe is composed of billions of galaxies (among other celestial objects). We have observed the galaxies moving away from each other since the early 1920's. This expansion is due to the very expansion of space-time itself in a theory somewhat unfortunately called the big bang.

Modern calculations of the speeds at which the galaxies are moving apart have thrown a monkey wrench into the situation. The galaxies's movement seems to be accelerating rather than being constant, which is what would be predicted from what we calculate to be from the total gravitational force that the galaxies (along with undetected dark matter) exert on each other.

Thus the "deus ex machina" that the writer refers to is dark energy, an unknown force of nature that maybe accelerating the movement of the galaxies.

If this force is real, and continues to accelerate at its current pace, eventually the galaxies will move further and further apart, to the point where they'll seem to disappear from our view.

Please note, we are talking about billions of years, not tomorrow or Dec. 23, 2012.

To be honest we just don't have enough data to fully refine what we are seeing, and perhaps dark energy as an explanation won't be necessary.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I just dont understand, didnt he talk about how that there could be tons of universes, when black holes are created ?

[edit on 1-10-2009 by Maddogkull]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

I don't know what dark energy as the hypothesized force that is causing an acceleration in the rate of universal expansion has to do with extra universes or black holes. I think the author of that article is just spinning his wheels.

Black holes are super massive objects that warp space with their gravitational fields to the point where light can't even escape their grip.

Multiple universes "may" be a consequence of M theory, which is a specific interpretation of string theory. String theory is the attempt to reconcile the macrolevel physics of relativity (the physics of big objects such as galaxies, planets, even apples) versus the sub atomic physics of electrons, quarks, etc.

This talk of multiple universes is sometimes derived from M theory's postulation of 9, 10, or even more spatial dimensions, over and above the three that we are aware of. However, these hypothesized dimensions are so small, they would not form a universe, at least in the way that we understand a universe.

If black holes are somehow connected with there being other universes, we would not be able to know it since our current understanding of the laws of physics breakdown at the point of a black hole's singularity, which is the point of mass that serves as the heart of the black hole.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
may i suggest .

if we define a dimension as ... a set of common "natures" with at least these three states 1) infinite nature 2) finite nature 3) a base of measurement nature...

such as eternity , change /energy , time... as one .

such as infinite space , location / mass , space ... as a second.

such as god , awareness / soul , order / physical laws ... as the third .

then electromagnetic feilds , radio , static electric feilds and radiation is a dimension with out a infinite or finite nature .

and it gives rise to the posablity of other dimensions we do not see , but interact with the four dimensions we do see ...

thus , we have dark energy and dark matter in the undetected dimensions ... which are there... we just have no way to see ( effect or be effected by them ) that they are real ... not yet .

new topics

top topics

join