It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

dumb cops

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   
okay well im 13 and 2 days ago i get handcuffed by 2 cops less than 2 miles from my house, wait til you hear why, okay it was hot i figured i d go too 7-11 and get a slurpee my bike was at my beach house and i wasnt walking 1.5 miles so i started up the ridin lawn mower and drove it up there crossed the highway(hehe) and parked i n a parkinspace and then when i come out with my slurpee a cop arrests me actually handcuffed me and took me home we had to pay a fine to get our lawn mower back , is it just me or ist his unnesscary

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Actually, I think it was quite the resourceful idea

You can count on the cops not thinking it was amusing though. I mean...these are cops we're dealing with, I think a major requirement of enrolling in a police academy must be leaving your sense of humour at the door.

Also, add to that that the police have been programmed to collect revenue for the city/state anyWAY they can and unfortunately, I don't think they arrested you for safety concerns on their part. A cop that wanted to suck up to either older cops or management saw you and a light bulb went off in his head. "Money" it said.

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Oh is that all you did?
What, are you going to tell me its illegal to drive your lawnmower on public roads. I�ve never seen a road sign say �No Lawnmowers�.

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 04:43 PM
link   
psh i know the old guy down the street drives his lawnmower everywhere cuz he is to big of a geezer to drive a car they took his liscense away he is so old and ran over a retarded kid i think. he drives through the drive through at mcdonalds with it. i should of layed that cop out emptied my clip on that fool

[Edited on 16-5-2004 by machinegunjordan]

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Whoaaaa...dude. Stop please with the rap lingo.

They don't deserve to be shot for being mindless assholes. Fired maybe, but no violence, please. Of course they'll probably never be fired either, or even upbraided. Most likely applauded for bringing in the dough.

Anyway, I hope you weren't serious, Jordan. That's an easy route to a life in prison if you are.

That said, yes, it is spectacularly unfair. Especially when there's some old gasbag who gets away with doing it every day simply by reason of longevity.

But that's the way things seem to be though. The young are hassled to death at every opportunity while the old are allowed to get away with murder. Look at the problem with elderly drivers for example.

It does suck. Yes. And as I said it wasn't fair. Maybe your parents should sue the police department and point out the old butthead in your neighborhood who gets away with it as evidence. It's definitely worth a try.

[Edited on 16-5-2004 by KayEm]

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I think its pretty funny the whole Story only a yank would think about riding a lawn mower to a store lmao

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 06:25 PM
link   
of course i wouldnt use violence im too nice to do that, and the old butt cheese is cool he is always makin up stupid stories like him an his pops built the rainforest when he was six and he has ww2 stories even though he was never in service and he thinks he owns the street i live on because he owned it like a century ago,he rode my bike with trainig wheels down the street when i was 6 , he is weird but funny

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I dont know what the hell is wrong with some kids. Yes, handcuffs are appropriate because you have no common sense.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Anybody who uses the word "appropriate" is a pre-programmed asshole. No offense

Um..Beagle ? Didn't you read the part where his fossilized neighbor does the same thing ALL the time and gets away with it ?

Typical. Another antique citizen does something stupid and the sheep completely ignore it.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Well Jordan, you and my son are almost in the same boat.

My son's 15 and runs a lawn mowing business. We live in a small farming community where we get tractors and combines driving down the highway and side streets all of the time!

My son drove his riding lawnmower to the gas station to fill it up with gas before his first job. Got a warning from the local sheriff! Explanation? Well, it will not go over 25mph! He was told to buy a trailor to haul the mower around. The kid can't drive yet.

We also have an "Old Geezer" that drives around with the riding lawnmower and a shopping cart hitched up to the back of it! Sheriff doesn't stop him....I guess because it's the Sheriff's uncle!

If we figure out what to do, I'll add to the thread. My first call is to the county to see what we can do.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Hey, thanks so much for insulting cops. That kind of gross generalization is truly the mark of enlightened thinking. What they did was *so* much more stupid than what you did. Next time you need a policeman when your car gets stolen, you or a loved one is assaulted, or your house gets robbed, remind yourself of how stupid they are and don't call them.

Anyone who thinks that cops enjoy righting traffic citations has obviously never spent an entire day testifying in traffic court.

Police procedure such as mandatory handcuffing keep cops -and in many cases, suspects- alive. You want to say "pre-programmed"? Fine. I say "trained." I have personally taken guns and knives off of kids as young as *9* years old. Putting someone in cuffs as a matter of course while an investigation is conducted is safer for everyone concerned. Speaking for myself, if I caught a kid doing something as stupid as operating a lawn mower on a public roadway or sidewalk, I would suspect that he was a danger to himself or others and take him into custody. If his attitude was good, I'd call his parents or guardian. If his attitude was bad, I would run him right through the juvenile justice system. I'd also cuff him to make sure he didn't get it into his head to try and run or, worse yet, get hurt by making some erratic movement that could be misinterpreted as drawing a weapon, disposing of drugs, etc. Oh, wait. I forgot that just because you are a policeman you are supposed to magically know who is a good guy involved in a mis-understanding, who is a bad guy that is out to hurt you, and who is a complete nutcase. I must have slept through that portion of the academy.

The last time I checked, "somebody else was doing it" was not a valid excuse for breaking any law. If you have a complaint about someone breaking the law, call the cops! If you think the police over- or under-reacted, file a complaint. I am sure they have a civilian review board or an analog. And, yes, they DO work because I have witnessed them in action. If you don't want to get involved in that process, write a letter-to-the-editor. Call the local news channel's complaint line.

Before you proclaim what an injustice it was, put yourself in the place of the motorist who accidentally runs over a kid riding a lawnmower on a city street or the parents of the kid who gets killed riding a lawnmower on the street. ...to get a slurpee. Oh, please!

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 01:18 PM
link   
A ticket would have been sufficient, but handcuffs are a little extreme.

I used to drive our go-cart all over the place. Would I have been handcuffed if I decided to park it at the local 7-11? I've never been handcuffed in my entire life, and I don't expect to unless I commit a real crime.

[Edited on 5/17/2004 by Bangin]

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   
LOL @ Jordan's story. Even tho it was a funny story, Spectre is right. There's laws and cops are there to apply them. They don't have any choice than to do their jobs.

But I must admit that, sometimes, some of them seem to be out only to annoy people. Like this one time we were rolling a joint in my car, in some parking lot, then the cops lady came, start checking around in the car, asking us questions, etc etc... She couldn't find anything, as we hidded everything when we saw her coming far away.

Then she was (obviously) annoyed that she couldn't fine us for anything. So she saw that my windshield was legerly cracked. She gave me a 72 hours warning to change it.

That kind of pissed me off.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spectre
Next time you need a policeman when your car gets stolen, you or a loved one is assaulted, or your house gets robbed, remind yourself of how stupid they are and don't call them.

I had my car stolen a while back. Guess what the cops did ? ... bugger all. What pissed me off about it is that there were CCTV cameras all over the place and the cops knew that there had been many other cases of car theft but didn't warn the public to be extra careful.

That said, when some drunken arsehole hit myself and my ex head on, spinning our car around and trashing it, the cops were excellent. They even went to the hospital to try to get an alcohol test from the bastard who hit us, but the doctors refused access. In the end he got points on his licence and a 48 pound fine. He should have been

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Uh.....was the fact that you aren't OLD ENOUGH TO DRIVE even a factor here? Whereas the old geezer is?

By the way................really funny story and I'm glad you weren't hurt. What did your parents say?

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   
well spectre all i meant was the cops that handcuffed me were dumb not all cops and my parents were kind of mad but not really they thought it was wrong also.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Hey, it's a "rant" thread. I can rant too!
Besides, I feel much better now.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 05:18 PM
link   
did i mention the old fart cant drive either he lost his liscense for running over a retarded kid

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Venus
Uh.....was the fact that you aren't OLD ENOUGH TO DRIVE even a factor here? Whereas the old geezer is?

Well, in my case, our "old geezer" lost his license from a DUI 25 years ago then couldn't pass the eye test after he was to be reinstated.

It's sad that the police in this town allow a man who doesn't mow lawns for a living that can't see to drive around a lawn mower...but my son can't.

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 03:06 AM
link   
i thought it was unfair what the cops did,a simple warning for the first time would have been more fair,handcuffs was unessarry in my opinion,i know the whole handcuff routing,it sucks,i can give you a little advice on dui or dwi or whatever the situation was,in some stats your not legally allowed to drive any moter vehichal when you get a dui/dwi,but be carefull you dont want to put yourself in a perdickament to where you cant ride your mower.

go Bobby bouchey

top topics

<<   2 >>

join