It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military lawyer says Defense Department ignored calls for war crimes investigation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Military lawyer says Defense Department ignored calls for war crimes investigation

rawstory.com

Air Force Maj. David Frakt, the attorney for former detainee Mohammed Jawad, says over the past 16 months he sent multiple memos to Defense Department and military leaders asking them to account for what a military judge called "abusive conduct and cruel and inhuman treatment” of his client. Jawad, who was arrested when he says he was 12 years old for allegedly tossing a grenade at U.S. military, was moved from cell to cell 112 times during a 14-day period to disrupt his sleep patterns, according to military documents. Frakt said he believes the treatment constituted torture, violated the
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
washingtonindependent.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Guantánamo captives winning lawsuits 29-7

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Wow, this guy was 12 YEARS OLD?! And he was treated like a terrorist and deprived of sleep for two weeks? What the heck is our world, our government, coming to when we treat kids like adults and expect them to act just like adults? To have the mentality of adults?

Not that the kind of treatment the adults that have been captured is okay, but there DEFINITELY has to be a line drawn when you're talking about 12 year old kids who don't know any better.

Why won't the DoD investigate this? They don't care about how a 12 year old kid was treated under our supervision?

Does anyone else think this kid was just another no good terrorist? I'm sure there are some who do.

rawstory.com

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by nunya13

Did you read the part where he threw a handgrenade at US troops? he is lucky not to have been killed by them or the hand grenade.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Tossed a handgrenade at US forces.

Not saying what they did was right, just saying that anyone who tosses grenades is an enemy combatant, he's lucky they didn't shoot him for throwing the grenade.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by nunya13

Wow, this guy was 12 YEARS OLD?! And he was treated like a terrorist and deprived of sleep for two weeks? What the heck is our world, our government, coming to when we treat kids like adults and expect them to act just like adults? To have the mentality of adults?

Not that the kind of treatment the adults that have been captured is okay, but there DEFINITELY has to be a line drawn when you're talking about 12 year old kids who don't know any better.

Why won't the DoD investigate this? They don't care about how a 12 year old kid was treated under our supervision?

Does anyone else think this kid was just another no good terrorist? I'm sure there are some who do.

rawstory.com
AND WHAT WOULD THE TALIBAN DO IF THEY CAPTURED A USA SOLDIER?...

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by poedxsoldiervet
reply to post by nunya13

Did you read the part where he threw a handgrenade at US troops? he is lucky not to have been killed by them or the hand grenade.

Did you read the part where it said "allegedly" threw a grenade?

Do you know what "allegedly" means? Was he convicted by a military court? If so; why was he released?

I could accuse you of child molestation, rape or cannibalism. Would that make it true?

See what I mean by "allegedly"?

The kid was "accused" of throwing a hand grenade not conviced. He was released after being held for 7 years. washingtonindependent.com...

Even in the military courts, I still believe it is "innocent until proven guilty"

That's the American way. And who cares what the Taliban would do? Aren't we supposed to be the one's that spread freedom and take the moral high road?

[edit on 1-10-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by exile1981

Isn't it supposed to be for a judge or jury to decide whether he did or did not do such a thing?

I understand only that there was a person in custody - that is the only fact I know to be true.

Everything else presupposes something of a forgone conclusions doesn't it?

Edit to fix embarrassing error..

[edit on 1-10-2009 by Maxmars]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Okay, we're talking about a kid here. He threw a grenade at US troops. He was also 12. He was then treated like any other terrorist and, as far as we know, kept awake for 14 days. I can understand him being captured (I suppose), but then to use interrogation tactics on him? That's crossing the line.

Do you really think it's necessary to use tactics on a 12 year old child to get him to divulge information that he may or may not have?

I'm not arguing his capture, just the techniques used on him. 112 cells in 14 days and no sleep. He was 12.

edit to add: they also eventually released him.

[edit on 1-10-2009 by nunya13]

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
You imbeciles.

You do realize that, even if he did "allegedly" throw a "grenade" at US Troops, he probably did so because some US Troops killed some of his family.. or well, # it.. probably most of his family?

12 years old.

What would you macho pukes do if a foreign military came and killed your family.. ?

It's okay, I already know the answer to that..

You'd do nothing, because you're all cowards.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   
All of that aside, the interrogation of a twelve-year old child by means of sleep deprivation is pathetic. This wouldn't ever stand up in a case in the states, should cops treat a kid the same way.

If a child did something in the states, even killed a cop, and the police did that to him for 14-days, that kid would walk and would probably never see a juvenile center.

top topics

join