It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you own a Toyota prius in the usa

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Heads up to anybody in the us with any of these cars,Camry and Avalon sedans, the Prius hybrid, the Tacoma and Tundra pickup trucks and Lexus models, the IS250, the IS350 and the ES350.

Toyota is to recall 3.8m vehicles in the United States because of the risk that loose floormats could have caused crashes that killed five people

The US government said it had reports of 100 incidents where the driver's floormat forced down the accelerator, possibly causing 17 crashes and five fatalities.

english.aljazeera.net...

[edit on 1-10-2009 by remymartin]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Yup, I can attest that those Floor Mats do cause stuck Accelerators too (and have since the 1993 models). The first time it happened in my Camry I thankfully kept my cool and figured out what was happening and was able to dislodge the floor mat from underneath the Accelerator. After that, knowing what it was and how to remedy it was just a mild inconvenience whenever it would happen. However, thousands of people in the U.S. weren't so fortunate as I was and either wrecked, were injured, or even killed because of it.

It's pretty sad that a silly floor mat could cause so much trouble!

Still, I wouldn't give up my Toyota or my past Toyotas (I've had a Tercel, Celica, Camry, Solara, and Avalon in that order...my S.O. had a Matrix and now has a Yaris). However, this is going to hit Toyota's reputation hard.

new topics

join