It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The Sun" Newspaper drops labour to back conservatives.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   

The Sun, still Britain's best-selling daily newspaper, has ditched its support for the Labour Party, which it has backed since the 1997 general election, and come out for David Cameron's Conservatives (except for viewers in Scotland - the Scottish Sun neither endorses Cameron nor the SNP.)

BBC link

A few facts about "the sun" paper.
Currently owned by Rupert Murdoch who also owns other papers across the globe. Rupert Murdoch Bio Interesting read.

The Sun's History

It is a tabloid which supported Thatcher throughout her time as PM and even John Major (who won his election "Unexpectedly" to which "the sun" took credit for)
It supported the police not the miners in the 80's strikes. Also supported the Poll tax despite mass protest and calling anyone who did not support it "Tax Thugs"

switched support to Labour on 18 March, 1997, six weeks before the landslide General Election victory which saw Labour leader Tony Blair become Prime Minister, despite attacking Blair and New Labour up to a month earlier" - Wiki source.

In august 2008 he is said to have held private talks with David Cameron, though no one knows what they had a cosy chat about.

Question:
Why do you think the sun has once again changed political sides? to sell papers? or to bring in a party that will play ball with its/his financial interest? Do you think this is a blatant confession that even the government knows how the media controls the masses?

Thought the topic deserved a vent. Please don’t screw at me for posting about a tabloid. I don’t make threads often!

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
It was The Sun wot won it.

Although, to be fair, they won't be able to claim that this time (although they probably will). It would be more accurately attributed to people being sick of El Gordo and Labour in general.

I know Labour has made a mess, but it strikes me that people are forgetting just what happens when we get a Tory government.

Not that it matters a jot mind. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

join