It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I LOVE Olympia Snowe!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I have no words to describe what an amazing, powerful Senator she is.

I became a big fan of her after she was reelected easily in 2006, after going against George Bush to support children healthcare, which is now in place under Obama.

I was KINDA disappointed with her vote for the 787-billion stimulus plan, because even though I supported and understood the rationale behind economic stimulation, I thought the amount was too high, and she should have NOT gone against party lines to vote for the later few stimulus packages.

However, I am amazed as to how much power this Senator from small Maine wields over D.C.

Snowe stands as the woman with the most clout in Washington, poised at the intersection of ambitious efforts to change the nation's system of medical care amid competing political forces. If she votes with the Democrats, Obama could secure the biggest win of his young presidency. If she sticks with her Republican colleagues, it could prove as devastating to the president as the blow dealt to former President Bill Clinton in the 1990s when his health care package failed.

The players and their ideas tend to cross her path — on Snowe's desk, at the other end of her telephone or just outside the paper-strewn hearing room. Snowe serves on the Senate Finance Committee, whose issues include health care.

I don't fully support the government-run healthcare option, mainly because of TAX ISSUES. Can you imagine how much more we'd have to pay for taxes?!?!

And of course, leave it to Senator Snowe, to find the beautiful compromise:

Snowe, who easily won a third term in 2006, is one of a minority in her state and the nation who does not support creation of a government-run option to private insurance. Progressives in her state have chastised Snowe over the issue in a television ad.

Instead, Snowe has proposed using the public option as an incentive, or a threat, to private insurers who do not make their plans affordable by certain deadlines. This "trigger" option, or some version of it, has survived the bitter debate and scrutiny to remain a viable option for compromise.

I love the "trigger" option. It results in competition for private companies to step up their game, with punishment and opposition if they try to rescind their payouts. AT THE SAME TIME, the taxes paid will no doubt be MUCH lower because it is not a FULL replacement of private insurance, thus the money needed to support it will be much lower.

This plan is also bipartisan, for the most part, since she combines the direct public option of Democrats with the preferred legislation of Republicans.

I am Democrat myself, but I really love Olympia Snowe for her bipartisanship (currently, as well as Gang of 14, etc.) and I feel that she doesn't stick to being Republican for the sake of being Republican, refusing to cross party lines just "because she's Republican".

Loyalty is one thing, but she knows what people needs, and she knows how to make compromises, in a responsible, true self that does not infringe upon her beliefs.

And then it sickens me to see this:

By all accounts, she retains courteous respect from her fellow Republicans and continues to lunch with them at weekly caucus meetings. Some grumble privately about punishment if she votes with Democrats on health care. One possibility mentioned by some: challenging Snowe next year for the coveted ranking GOP seat on the Senate Commerce Committee.

Here we have an example of party lines BLINDING politicians.

Snowe says nobody's threatened to punish her. They have little reason to alienate her now, because she could be the GOP's best chance of changing the bill, in their view, into a less-onerous "government takeover" of health care. Also, she's been straight with them about her approach to negotiations.

"She's been in constant communication with me all the way through the process," said Republican Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky.

"I think she's handled herself in a very responsible way," said Sen. Robert Bennett, R-Utah.

Please. Party lines are just there to denote differences. Politicians should do things they TRULY believe in, and not fear 'punishment' and other shyt. I wish more Democrats would vote for Republican bills, and vice versa (You KNOW they WANT to!) and understand that CONSENSUS and COHESION are the BIGGEST needs of our political situation today.

news.yahoo.com...

[edit on 28-9-2009 by KarlG]

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   

I love the "trigger" option. It results in competition for private companies to step up their game, with punishment and opposition if they try to rescind their payouts. AT THE SAME TIME, the taxes paid will no doubt be MUCH lower because it is not a FULL replacement of private insurance, thus the money needed to support it will be much lower.

This trigger option just shows that the government has had the ability to enforce competition and affordability from the beginning.

Why they have never cared about affordability and competition prior to this legislation is beyond me?

Bipartisan is good and there should be more of it.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
it does'nt snow much in OLYMPIA

lots of rain

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by KarlG

I am Democrat myself, but I really love Olympia Snowe for her bipartisanship (currently, as well as Gang of 14, etc.) and I feel that she doesn't stick to being Republican for the sake of being Republican, refusing to cross party lines just "because she's Republican".

You like her? You can have her. Olympia Snowe is the epitomy of what is wrong with the Republican Party. If you like John McCain you will love Olympia Snowe. Democrats got to love the part-time Repubicans...I can't stand them and they need to go.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   
HELLO? More replies please... Surely everyone has SOMETHING to say about Senator Snowe... you gotta either love her or hate her!!

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative

Originally posted by KarlG

You like her? You can have her. Olympia Snowe is the epitomy of what is wrong with the Republican Party. If you like John McCain you will love Olympia Snowe. Democrats got to love the part-time Repubicans...I can't stand them and they need to go.

Well... I would love to have them, so THANKS!

To each his own Senator. I personally find that sticking to party lines ADAMANTLY does everyone NO good whatsoever, despite being "loyal". Sometimes bipartisanship helps matters and makes everyone but extreme righties and lefties happy.

John McCain has been very competent, and a very good leader. No doubt about that. So has Olympia Snowe. Can anyone deny that? Isn't that what REALLY matters?

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
If RR's attitude prevails we will be witnessing years of exile for the Republican party from power because his and the hard right's extremism is alienating for most people including saner Republicans and conservatives...and even though I am a liberal I understand that would be bad for the nation...and vice a versa for that matter.

I lived in Maine for almost 20 years and they love her up there as well. Even staunch democrats vote for her...(I did) and you know why?

Its the Yankee moderate idea and you see it in both parties for the most part...

It can be summed up like this...let's do right and take care of our own...but lets be frugal about it at the same time.

For the most part New England conservatives and Republicans are different from more strident members of their parties in that they are conservative in the true meaning of the word...cautious...not afraid of change but prudent about it. The same could be said for most liberal and Democrats up there as well.

RR is once more wrong...Snowe's level headiness is exactly what the Republican party needs more of...not less.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

Seems New England would be a place I would want to live in... Time to move east!

Maine sounds good.

Seafood, Stephen King, and Olympia Snowe (by default, her BFF Susan Collins is included too.)

What's not to like?

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by KarlG

The winters.

Other than that and the fact that New England and Maine specifically are expensive places to live...they are wonderful places to live as well. I just came back from 2 weeks in Maine to chew the fat with old friends...people who go back with me 30 to 35 years and had a lovely time.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

Oooh... darn. It would be quite a shock if i were to move from my nice warm southern city state to cold, freezing Maine. But I've always dreamed of living in a nice, secluded, pictoresque, naturale town, where everyone knows each other.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by KarlG

Well its only winter for 5 months out of the year. Besides its a safe haven for liberals...here in Roanoke being liberal is often seen as a personal failing.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover
reply to post by KarlG

Besides its a safe haven for liberals...here in Roanoke being liberal is often seen as a personal failing.

Don't understand... if it's a failing we're in 'a safe haven'? :S

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
snowe sounds like the bees knees.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
the vast majority of bi-partisanship has come from democrats...the are called DINOs...democrat in name only.

democrats are always trying to satisfy republicans...why??
if democrats try and get as much progressive legislation past as possible to help the poor and middle class, maybe they will stay in power.

otherwise, just let the corporations run our government (more than they do already), and with that, we can finally become a third world country, and stop fooling ourselves.

we are already moving in that direction...don't think so?? read this article:
www.usatoday.com...

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Senators Snowe and Collins will always be re-elected in the State of Maine. They are beloved here for not following party politics and voting truer to the wants of their overall constituency than their party bosses.

This gives them tremendous power in Washington and the voters of Maine know it.

Every time I have run into either of them they have been wonderful down to earth people who remember what State they represent. Very loyal voters up here, and very loyal representation.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mainer
Senators Snowe and Collins will always be re-elected in the State of Maine. They are beloved here for not following party politics and voting truer to the wants of their overall constituency than their party bosses.

This gives them tremendous power in Washington and the voters of Maine know it.

Every time I have run into either of them they have been wonderful down to earth people who remember what State they represent. Very loyal voters up here, and very loyal representation.

This is amazing. This is probably the ONLY time on ATS I have ever seen someone faithful to their state's politician. Wow. This is unbelievable, but yet I think I know what you're talking about.

What everyone wants is a down-to-earth, perceptive, strong, respected leader. Politicians have been lambasted for so long because they get in petty fights, snitty arguments, scandalous affairs, INSTEAD of doing their job, and being a true representation of the people. How many Senators can say they're truly making 'their people happy'?

I really hope Senator Snowe can be reelected in 2012. If she doesn't win... things won't look good in D.C.

[edit on 29-9-2009 by KarlG]

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I'm telling you, unless she kills someone that did not remotely deserve it she will be re-elected. There are a few people who do not like her (very right wingers) everyone else will keep her in D.C. till she decides not to be there anymore.

top topics

join