It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to Quote a specific post within a thread?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Sorry, I struggle with this.

How do I quote a single post by another poster within a thread?

I sometimes use "Reply To" and delete unnecessary characters, but it often fails.
(I realize you need pid #) but it often goes to main thread page instead of specific post.

Thanks for any assistance/tips.

Edit to clarify: Perhaps I should have said "embed" or "point to" as opposed to "quote."

[edit on 25-9-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   
So glad you asked... I'm new and also have been unable to embed other posts properly. I look forward to reading the replies to your question.

Cheers!

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

Disclaimer: I'm a theist but not of the Abrahamic faiths. I have minor biblical scholar and scriptural skills. Also I am not a scientific/legal or medical expert in any field. Beware of my Contagious Memes! & watch out that you don't get cut on my Occams razor.All of this is my personal conjecture and should not be considered the absolute or most definitive state of things as they really are. Use this information at your own risk! I accept no liability if your ideology comes crashing down around you with accompanying consequences.

Explanation: Hi. if you have a look next to the date in the post you want to link to, you will notice a "single" tab and a "this post" tab. Click on either one of those and then copy and paste the web address into your post using the hyperlink button [planet earth icon].

Personal Disclosure: It should look and work like THIS! [note link is to my BTS talent entry post]

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious
Sorry, I struggle with this.

How do I quote a single post by another poster within a thread?

I sometimes use "Reply To" and delete unnecessary characters, but it often fails.
(I realize you need pid #) but it often goes to main thread page instead of specific post.

Thanks for any assistance/tips.

Edit to clarify: Perhaps I should have said "embed" or "point to" as opposed to "quote."

[edit on 25-9-2009 by kinda kurious]

Just hit the QUOTE button (located next to the REPLY TO buttom, of that post.

[edit on September 25th 2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

Thanks OmegaLogos. That was EXACTLY what I was lookng for.

I always wondered about those. I wish I could see the forest but the darn trees are in the way.

Thanks much. Case closed.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I know how to quote someones entire post,but how do i post just a part of that post,everything i try doesnt seem to work,i highlight just one line from a post,but i always end up quoting the entire post,instead of one line?

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by blocula
I know how to quote someones entire post,but how do i post just a part of that post,everything i try doesnt seem to work,i highlight just one line from a post,but i always end up quoting the entire post,instead of one line?

If you click on the "quote" button, it puts the whole quoted post into the editing box, for posting your reply.
You can then use your delete key to remove most of it, leaving the part relevant to your reply.
edit on 19-1-2012 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

Thanx for the information,i've got it now,i was afraid that if i tried to delete "edit" out part of someones quote,it would somehow ruin it,but now i see its uneffected...

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula
[more
The key is not to accidentally delete the word "quote" in square brackets, or even one of the brackets, because that makes the result look very odd.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by blocula

Hit the quote button and the post comes up. Then delete the bits you don't want to include (don't delete the top line ie 'quote posted by.....' and leave the word 'quote at the end. Then hit reply.

new topics

top topics

join