It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dems Push For $4B Postal Service Bailout

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I knew this was coming down the road after it was reported they were going to $7B in the hole by the end of the year.

A Postal Service bailout?

Democrats moved Thursday to give special relief to the financially strapped Postal Service, which would be allowed to defer $4 billion in payments due at the end of this month to cover retirement benefits for its employees.

Republicans protested the bailout but made no significant effort to block the provision, which has now been attached to a stop-gap spending bill slated to come before the House and Senate in the next week.

Great example of government running a 'for profit' company, isn't it?

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
They should do it.

Wouldn't that be like the cheapest bailout yet? Oh what the hay...might as well. Where else can I send a piece of paper for a buck and have it get there within two weeks?

But only if they replace those bearded guys with Hooter's gals. They really need some new ideas in the post office. I think that one might do it. Of course, we don't want to discriminate, so we might have to have some in burkas and some dressed like construction workers or Indian chiefs.

The post office has been dead for five years. I really don't know how it still hangs on. All I ever get is bills. If it's not going to at least TRY to be entertaining, they should let it fail.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I'm trying to muster up the energy to be outraged by this, but I can only sit here in wonder. It feels like we're caught up in a whirlwind. Money is flying all over the place and we don't even have it!

It's quickly becoming the norm. No amount of protestation seems to slow the pace of the spending. Might as well be yelling into the mouth of an empty cave because the train has already left and it's speeding down the tracks now.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I wonder how long it'll take for someone to say this isn't a bail out...

Also from the article:

With little public warning, the language has now been attached to a must-pass spending bill to keep the government funded for the first month of the new fiscal year that begins Oct. 1. To further shield that resolution from amendments on the floor, the House and Senate Appropriations negotiators voted Thursday to wrap it into an otherwise non-controversial $4.65 billion budget bill covering the operations of the Capitol and such agencies as the Library of Congress.

So they not only want to bail out the post offices, but they went so far as to bury it in a budget bill? Wasn't this one of those things that wasn't supposed to be done anymore? Or am I confused?

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Really? Another bailout? And next? Newspapers? Airlines? Oh.. I know.. how about theme parks? Someone remind me how many generations this will take to pay off?

And to KSP:

I really like the idea of letter carriers dressed as Indian chiefs. The idea of Government Issued moccasins in postal blue still has me laughing... TY

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

At first glance, I thought your title read "Dems push for a $48 postal service bailout".
I must be getting old

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
A good illustration on how government run programs never die.

Mail delivery should be a private endeavour.

"UPS and FedEx are doing just fine. It's the Post Office that's always having problems." Mr. Obama

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
They keep doing stupid crap like putting this $100,000 sorting machine up here in the boonies. They didnt think it was being used enough (so why the hell did they put it here?) so all of our local post offices were forced to stop just delivering local mail and made to ship it down to the machine to sorted then shipped back to the local offices to be delivered. Ridiculous.

It's stupidity. Not just stupidity but amazingly inefficient and expensive stupidity. I have a feeling if this were China the Postmaster would be forced into ritualistic suicide to save face.

top topics

join