It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Al Franken Reads the 4th Amendment to Justice Department Official"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
The Link

Franken, who opened by acknowledging that unlike most of his colleagues in the Senate, he’s not a lawyer, but according to his research “most Americans aren’t lawyers” either, said he’d also done research on the Patriot Act and in particular, the “roving wiretap” provision that allows the FBI to get a warrant to wiretap a an unnamed target and his or her various and changing cell phones, computers and other communication devices.

Noting that he received a copy of the Constitution when he was sworn in as a senator, he proceeded to read it to Kris, emphasizing this part: “no Warrants shall issue but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.”

“That’s pretty explicit language,” noted Franken, asking Kris how the “roving wiretap” provision of the Patriot Act can meet that requirement if it doesn’t require the government to name its target.

Kris looked flustered and mumbled that “this is surreal,” apparently referring to having to respond to Franken’s question. “I would defer to the other branch of government,” he said, referring to the courts, prompting Franken to interject: “I know what that is.”

Excellent.

I am happy to see Franken standing up for our constitutional rights while others sit idly by or actively participate in the destruction of 'we the peoples' rights.

While you may not like Franken, or the Democratic party as a whole, you have to admit THIS is at least one action that is in-line with our rights and demonstrates what acting on behalf of the people and not the establishment looks like.

Two thumbs up for Al.

Enjoy.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Animal

Nice Find! Star and Flag!

I wonder if Franken could take that common sense approach to about 5000 other unnecessary laws that are on the books!!

I am thinking of running for US Rep in 2012 if our Nation lasts that long! I may use this! I will keep it in my resource folder for now!

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Animal

Animal, thanks for posting this. (Un)Common sense on Franken's part. If you read the legal history of the 4th amendment search and seizure what you will find is a never ending gradual stripping of the protections it offers citizens of the country.
But it's for your own good. Don't forget that.

join