It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Contact vs. The Arrival

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Which movie do you prefer? The Critics love Contact but it is a long movie. The Arrival has an X-Files like feel to it but it seems to be missing something. Contact has all the great story lines and acting to. It has a total non-believer become a believer in the end. The Arrival has a lot of cool toys on display and some really neat alien stuff throughout the film. Which movie is your favorite?

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   
i like

fire in the sky

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I have to say my favorite UFO movie is probably battaries not included. I think it is the best documentary on UFOs there ever was, well besides fire in the sky.

But The Arrival vs Contact? I have to say The Arrival Charlie Sheen has a couple pounds on jodie foster and looks like a striker, plus the lord loved sheen so much that he made Gordan Freeman in his image.

[edit on 22-9-2009 by zaiger]

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I like Charlie Sheen's paranoid character and liked the idea that accelerated man made global warming might be a terraform project spawned by aliens.

I like the star gate technology delivered to mankind from an advanced space faring civilization by means of that data they encrypted into our own TV signal.

They both have their moments but the little pocket singularity device from Arrival was my favorite special effect between the 2 of them.

The saddest part was the sequel to Arrival. I knew better than to watch it because it would be terrible and of course it was.

For that reason Contact was my favorite as they had the good sense not to try and make a sequel of it.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
All of those are crap... "Mars Attacks" takes the cake for sure

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 01:53 AM
link   
With the few mentions of Fire in the Sky it should be noted that the dramitization of the abduction scenario is vastly different then the actual account given. While the 'pre-ship' bits of the abduction are alright, the actual 'in-ship' bits are not what Travis Walton describes happening.

The Walton case is really interesting; I just hope the movie adaptation doesn't win out as what Travis says he experienced.

With that said: Contact. Maybe because it has Jodie Foster and maybe because I love her little cast-o-character science buddies that run throughout.

edit to add: Holy crap, I have played the Half Life series since the get go and I never caught the similarity.

Haha, Charlie Sheen and headcrabs...they should make a movie.

[edit on 9/23/0909 by spines]

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 12:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: ghostryder21
i like

fire in the sky

Yes fire in the sky is the best alien movie

I just watched Arrival.
It was well done, visually speaking, much better than contact. I hated contact. Didn't hate this but my God I just wanted it to end. It's not a movie you would watch again. I don't really get the point it was trying to make. I couldn't be bothered trying to either.

It's just about trying to figure out if they have a language to communicate what the ink blot smoke circles mean. They weren't hostile , which in an alien movie you kind of want them to be lol

There were times it made me feel a bit woozy which was a great effect. Or it was just me.

As they went into the egg ship the first time my power was briefly interrupted. The speakers and amp just shut off. I thought it was part of the movie but alas it was just my amp playing tricks as the tv picture and all the lights in my house remained on. Same thing happened when I saw Signs at the movie theatre, the projector bulb blew ( sound remained , but picture went black), not that it means anything, it was just odd I seem to have bad luck on alien movies. Fire in the sky had an odd real life moment as well.

To sum it up, it wasn't a movie I'd recvomdnned and say " you gotta watch it" . I think it's just my opinion though, as it must appeal to others. It had good reviews . I just wanted more out of it

edit on 17-2-2017 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 12:44 AM
link   
a reply to: spines
Yes true, the movie was dramatized and not the real account Travis told. I never heard travis' account until AFTER the movie though. I'm left wondering if he might have been instructed to downplay the hostility thst the movie portrayed. I think I got this impression when I saw him on some talk show and there was some guy with him who didn't let him speak. It was like you shut up, I'll do the talking when they ask questions, so who knows. Was he silenced! Or did he tell the whole story before the movie and the movie is close? Although I do realize all movies add in stuff for dramatic effects. The aliens were so brutal to him and it scared me. I thought that was the best scene of him on the table, them ripping his clothes off, stabbing him in the eye with that long needle that lowered from a big machine.

I think he was on this forum at one point.

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 12:49 AM
link   
a reply to: LooseLipsSinkShips

I really didn't like that movie, The Arrival. I thought it was going to be awesome but it was a complete let down, way down. They failed on areas they could've improved on, the aliens looked retarded, fake and idiotic. The acting wasn't half as good as i would have expected coming from the actors who usually deliver.

But all goes down to the source of the problem, the Script and the Directing. (as well as other un-forseen events.) which most likely added to the problem.

My favorite movie?

The Mummy

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 01:07 AM
link   
ALIENS (1986)

edit on 17-2-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 01:25 AM
link   
a reply to: LuXTeN

I think it was one of the best torrents lately (2017).

Didn't know what to expect.

Reminded me of The Mist (2007) plus Contact (1997).

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 01:34 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Ah kids are really brainwashed these days aren't they?

haha.. Yes i've watched those ones, The Myst sucked, and Contact didn't ~ kind of oxymoron i know right?

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Wait, i know exactly why it was on top in torrents,

MARKETING. My specialty. If you can market ice to an eskimo, you can market sh't to a ... nm

The point is, strategy is everything.

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Close encounters of the third kind
ET
Communion
Fire in the Sky
Contact

These are 5 good ones for different reasons...

But none of them implement so many elements of what is known on the subject of UFO's quite as well as Close encounters of the third kind...

I really like the way it show's how those who are privileged enough to view them are seemingly singled out or chosen and how the experience continues and builds for them with mutiple encounters which prove to be a highly advanced form of communication... The experience leaving such an impression on them they are moved to obsession which unbeknownst to them leads them right to where they were chosen to be...

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 01:48 AM
link   
a reply to: 5StarOracle

Close Encounters will always top the list, along with Contact, Fire in the Sky

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 01:51 AM
link   
a reply to: LuXTeN

Marketing has nothing to do with torrents. It's about what's new. And from that what shines the most.

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Damn you, damn you all to he... oh crap

Wrong thread, ...laughing...

My version of shine and everyone else's version are two Very Different Versions.

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 02:31 AM
link   

well you're right i digress..

In this case Sh't shines the most, apparently. Shi't ain't new, but if you dress it up real nice, it will look like anything the human brainwashed mind can concoct within it's own selfish deceit.

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 02:37 AM
link   
I didn't like fire in the sky.

I luved me sum Contact, though. Of course, a movie with Jodie Foster just standing in an empty room would hold me enthralled for at least ninety minutes, probably longer. That is was a good movie, as well, was just gravy.

ET. I adored ET. My then girlfriend and I must have seen that movie ten times the summer it was in theaters.

Mars Attacks! was an enjoyable flick. Ack-ack, ftw.

What wasn't to love about Close Encounters of the Third Kind? Flight 19. Missing persons being returned. The Devils Tower. Wonderful movie that has withstood the test of time.

If and when contact ever occurs? Close Encounters, I think, will be the way of it.

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 01:09 PM
link   
both films are crap they try to shown something humans cant understand,the very concept of a scifi movie is flawed, we should never make predictions because almost all of them dont become true

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join