It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Sign Me Up For 'ObamaCare'

page: 1
2

log in

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
My employer is self-insured. They keep a 'reserve fund' in place to pay for claims. This model has allowed myself and fellow employees to enjoy very low cost health insurance.

Our reserve fund is out of money. In order to get our reserve fund back to a comfortable level, and continue coverage, each employee (three hundred of us) will have to pay at least an extra $200.00 per month.

I bring HOME one FIFTH of my gross income as it is. I have quite a few deductions getting taken out, the usual, State income tax, Federal income tax, Social Security, child support... I don't have any qualms about supporting my children or my country or state though these payments.

My huge concern is that I can't really AFFORD to have two hundred MORE taken out of my check.

Now, I understand that even two hundred dollars a month is WAY below what other people pay for health insurance and I'm glad we've had it so easy here, but not only am I getting worried about just 'making it,' I'm finding myself not fighting the idea of nationalized healthcare any more. Things in my house are already extremely tight.

When my ability to buy groceries, or pay my electric or gas bills is being threatened, I find I am much more open to plans that I have certainly been opposed to before.

I find myself hoping someone comes up with a solution for healthcare and that I can still afford to buy my family some noodles.





posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Carefull what you wish for!!!
Would you like to be payed the same as the lazy yack of an emplyee that all Co's have.......
Because if you get healthcare that is what is going to happen!
The great physicians will care, a whole lot less about the individual they are seeing!
And start thinking of patiants, "well MD Bob down the road gets by with doing it this way"
So now your MD will too.....

I just believe in the theory, that if I do a better job than my co-worker I should get compensation for it!
Take that away from someone that obviously spent 6-10years in school, usually because they make great $$$ and see what MD's become real quick!



posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Ya think maybe this was the plan all along? Back people so far into a corner until they submit? just sayin



posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I'm beginning to sense you have an agenda. I started to think so when I read your other thread about finally realizing that Obama is a nice guy and really wants what's best for the country, etc.

This is your second, if not more than second, attempt at getting his healthcare reform passed.

This time your tactic seems to be to include a human interest story. Next up: Joe the Plumber...

I'm not saying that your situation isn't real, I'm just saying that you seem pretty determined lately to change people's impression of Obama AND get his healthcare passed....

There are better ways to help your employer than mandating EVERYONE in the country maintain health insurance. Why must others scrape by and incur increased expenses so that your company can enjoy low cost healthcare?

Further, if you think $200 per month is unaffordable now....just wait to see the pricetag on Obama's plan.

You don't put a plan into effect that costs AT LEAST $900B without passing the cost onto the taxpayers.....

I refer you to ABC's interview.

Healthcare reform = mandatory tax increase. PERIOD. And I would bet you $500 that the pricetag is MORE THAN $200 per month for most of us.



posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I see some people in this thread can not help but dislike Obama and anything this administration does.

OP, I am sorry for the tight spot that you are in. If you are merely a plant on this website, I actually welcome you to balance this place out. If not, I feel that you are conveniently choosing to support something just because you are starting to understand the dangers and struggles of those who can barely afford health insurance. It is my wish that individuals do not have to go through troubles to try to understand another's trouble. I see it as if you are empathizing merely because you are close to danger as well, then you are not learning anything that you came into this life to learn. Again, sorry for your predicament.



posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen
 


There's always other options. Before you sign something off of Daniel Webster, look. There's always other choices. No reason for it to be just A or B.



posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOneElectric
It is my wish that individuals do not have to go through troubles to try to understand another's trouble. I see it as if you are empathizing merely because you are close to danger as well, then you are not learning anything that you came into this life to learn.


This is really important. We must be able to empathize with people who are working hard and still barely able to make ends meet, much less afford health insurance. We shouldn't wait till we're in a bad way to support the people of this country who are suffering.

I am in no danger of losing health insurance (for a while, anyway) yet I support living in a country that takes care of its people.

I'm surprised to see KSPigpen saying anything nice about Obama, and I'm sorry about your financial woes. I wish you good luck in being able to provide healthcare for yourself and your family.



posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627
I'm beginning to sense you have an agenda. I started to think so when I read your other thread about finally realizing that Obama is a nice guy and really wants what's best for the country, etc.

This is your second, if not more than second, attempt at getting his healthcare reform passed.

This time your tactic seems to be to include a human interest story. Next up: Joe the Plumber...

I'm not saying that your situation isn't real, I'm just saying that you seem pretty determined lately to change people's impression of Obama AND get his healthcare passed....

There are better ways to help your employer than mandating EVERYONE in the country maintain health insurance. Why must others scrape by and incur increased expenses so that your company can enjoy low cost healthcare?

Further, if you think $200 per month is unaffordable now....just wait to see the pricetag on Obama's plan.

You don't put a plan into effect that costs AT LEAST $900B without passing the cost onto the taxpayers.....

I refer you to ABC's interview.

Healthcare reform = mandatory tax increase. PERIOD. And I would bet you $500 that the pricetag is MORE THAN $200 per month for most of us.


Welll..you're certainly not the first to accuse me of having an agenda. I never even really saw the plumber thing, but I did work as a plumber's helper once. Does that count? ( the LAST 'agenda' was to foster hate towards Obama
)

I've had the same job for ten years. I've watched my taxes go up, my expenses go up, my utilities go up. Everything.

My pay has gone up too, but not as fast as anything else.

I really don't mind if you think I have an agenda. I don't. In a way, I DO have an agenda.

My agenda is to feed my children and keep a roof over our .. I know that we can't really get to socialized healthcare without making more concessions along the way, slowly leading us to a place where I certainly didn't WANT to end up.

The truth of it, I'm staring at that place right now. I can SEE it from here. I can see the place where all the work I do goes to the government and they just give me what I need to barely live. I am a couple hundred bucks from that spot right now.

My family needs healthcare. My son has prescriptions that would be 300 dollars per month without my insurance. (sad violin music here)

Call it an 'agenda' or whatever you want. I'm scared as hell right now and yeah, I think that might be what the plan was all along. Get us scared as hell so we jump at the chance to sign up for something that at least SEEMS like a solution.

I don't want there to be any misunderstanding here. I am NO FAN of the president, his cronies, the programs, the erosion of our rights, the wars, the torture, the killing, the propaganda. I hate all of it.

The only thing in this world that I MIGHT hate worse than what I see happening in this country right now, is the thought of my wife and children suffering because I can't afford the insurance anymore.

The reality of it? We can toss around tiny labels like 'agenda' all we like. I can call you names and you can call me names, but that is exactly what they want. It's exactly what they want for me to be scared as hell, for ALL of us to be scared as hell.

There was a time not too long ago that I thought I had a chance. I thought I could sock some money away, maybe even retire some day. Those days are gone for me.

My time today is consumed by trying to figure out how to not be so afraid of what is in store for my family and myself.

Make no mistake, the healthcare plan WILL pass. Not because anyone 'agrees' with it or not, but because we just don't have a choice, or a voice any more.

Do I like it? nope. I sure don't, but I love my family and they need insurance. They need health insurance and prescription coverage that I can AFFORD and still be able to feed them without signing up for government cheese. Yet. I really don't expect the system we're living in now to be able to sustain itself fro much longer anyway, so it's probably all a non-issue.

If you're going to say I smooch on Obama's backside, you should really read ALL of the threads, and not just a couple to make your decisions. I realize that's a lot of work and I'm not saying it's worth it, just that it's easy to discount something, or decide that you know what someone believes by picking and choosing a few opinions.

Thanks for posting though.



posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOneElectric
 


There is a difference between being empathetic to the needs of others, and willingly helping out those in need, than being forced to pay an amount, set by the gpvernment, for something I may or may not want for myself.

Put it to you this way, I would rather give Pigpen $200 a month to cover his plan, than have Obama's go through. Obama's will cost me more.

Healthcare NEEDS to be fixed.
Children need to be covered.

There are better ways to accomplish this than the current bill.

Obama wants you to believe his way is the ONLY way -- and it's not.



posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen
 


You have done a 180 on your opinion of Obama lately. I find it odd that your sudden change of heart is coming fast and furiously of late.

We are all scared. Most of us -- myself included -- are broke. I have kids. We are living on 40% of what we made last year. Income is 60% less, but my bills continue to grow.

The answer you seek is not to give more money to the government. That is a one-way ticket in which you can never get off the bus. Taxes and fees never get erased -- they either get reallocated or increased.

Point being -- once everyone says "yeah Obamacare" -- it is a bill we will be paying for for the rest of our lives.

PS - As I said, I feel for your situation. But considering your recent posts, it reads more like a human interest story to get Obamacare passed.



posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627
reply to post by TheOneElectric
 



Put it to you this way, I would rather give Pigpen $200 a month to cover his plan, than have Obama's go through. Obama's will cost me more.




Ding Ding Ding. We have a WINNER! Thanks! Problem solved! To Hell with Obamacare.
That was easy.

By the way, My two threads before this were both bashing Obama. :p One of them bringing attention to the tax increase that's called a 'mandate' instead and the other was his crooked fundraiser looking at criminal charges.

I don't care in the slightest for Obama. I just want to be able to afford healthcare AND food. At this point for me, they might as well just take it all and put me in a housing project on welfare.

I've been in my field for over twenty years and gross over thirty bucks an hour, and I'm sucking wind.

I just want it fixed.



posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627
reply to post by TheOneElectric
 


There is a difference between being empathetic to the needs of others, and willingly helping out those in need, than being forced to pay an amount, set by the gpvernment, for something I may or may not want for myself.

Put it to you this way, I would rather give Pigpen $200 a month to cover his plan, than have Obama's go through. Obama's will cost me more.

Healthcare NEEDS to be fixed.
Children need to be covered.

There are better ways to accomplish this than the current bill.

Obama wants you to believe his way is the ONLY way -- and it's not.


Ok, what is your plan then? How will you help? My family needs help with medical issues, are you willing to help me out?

I asked for help last month, when republicans said to ask your neighbors for help. My daughter needs some testing and medications done for a heart condition, we do not have medical insurance.

So, for the second time, I am sending out a request for assistance to pay my daughters medical bills. I can send you my bills if you want, and we can all pay for them. Hay, I am definitely willing to pay some of it myself, I just can't afford all of it. We are looking at somewhere around 30 thousand dollars, more if she needs surgery.

Oh, I see, 200 dollars won't be enough.

Harm None
Peace



posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by KSPigpen

Make no mistake, the healthcare plan WILL pass. Not because anyone 'agrees' with it or not, but because we just don't have a choice, or a voice any more.

Do I like it? nope. I sure don't, but I love my family and they need insurance. They need health insurance and prescription coverage that I can AFFORD and still be able to feed them without signing up for government cheese. Yet. I really don't expect the system we're living in now to be able to sustain itself fro much longer anyway, so it's probably all a non-issue.



So, let me get this straight.

You start a thread entitled: Sign me up for Obamacare.

You then relay a story completely centered around WHY Obamacare is great and you need it (and the inference is that others like you need it to).

Then, you reply to my post saying that you don't like the fact that Obamacare is going to pass at all.

Could you please tell me what side of the fence you are on? You speak about not having a choice. Have you decided to join "Team Obamacare" out of duress?

PS - I never called you a name. I simply said that there seems to be a running theme in your posts recently.

PPS - That's all. Thanks for the reply. I will leave you to your thread now.



posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627
reply to post by KSPigpen
 


You have done a 180 on your opinion of Obama lately. I find it odd that your sudden change of heart is coming fast and furiously of late.

We are all scared. Most of us -- myself included -- are broke. I have kids. We are living on 40% of what we made last year. Income is 60% less, but my bills continue to grow.

The answer you seek is not to give more money to the government. That is a one-way ticket in which you can never get off the bus. Taxes and fees never get erased -- they either get reallocated or increased.

Point being -- once everyone says "yeah Obamacare" -- it is a bill we will be paying for for the rest of our lives.

PS - As I said, I feel for your situation. But considering your recent posts, it reads more like a human interest story to get Obamacare passed.



It's more like a 720 half-twist with an ollie.

I suppose at this point, it doesn't really matter to me WHO gets my money. Like I said before, it's pretty much all gone as soon as it's earned any way. Even WITHOUT healthcare, we're ALL going to be paying the bill for the current administration and the previous for the rest of our lives. All of us except the top tenth of a percent of the population that actually HAS money.

It's going to make absolutely NO difference WHAT I want, what I believe, who I endorse. The result is going to be the same.

The crooks will get fatter and richer and my pay will given to the collective so that even I can pay for someone else's healthcare...yeah, pretty much the same thing that happens right now.

I'm TIRED of footing the bill for welfare and social security and Medicaid and Medicare. It's time for me to start collecting on some of that crap.

If I can quit my job and put my family on welfare and food stamps, I can bring home MORE in government assistance than I do in my actual salary. Sounds like a sweet deal to me...and I have an awesome job.



posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627
 





You start a thread entitled: Sign me up for Obamacare.

You then relay a story completely centered around WHY Obamacare is great and you need it (and the inference is that others like you need it to).

Then, you reply to my post saying that you don't like the fact that Obamacare is going to pass at all.

Could you please tell me what side of the fence you are on? You speak about not having a choice. Have you decided to join "Team Obamacare" out of duress?

PS - I never called you a name. I simply said that there seems to be a running theme in your posts recently.



I think you might be reading in to it a little much, my friend.

For starters, the Op really wasn't 'centered' on how 'great' Obamacare is.

I could care less. Call it whatever you want, DemoCare, BidenCare, RepubliCare, it really doesn't matter. The point is I can't afford insurance anymore.

If you have another plan that will allow my family and myself access to affordable healthcare, I'm eager to hear it.

I don't WANT socialism. (even though portions of our system have been 'socialist' for many, many years)

Can I WANT affordable healthcare, or even, dare I say, Nationalized health care, without being a fan of the president? I think I can...and to be completely objective, I think if you look back through this thread, you won't see anything 'nice' that I've said about Obama...(I don't like him, in case I haven't said that already.)

It seems to me that you've taken the TITLE of this thread and made your whole argument out of that. I think we all deserve a little more than that, friend.



new topics

top topics



 
2

log in

join