It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mrs. Obama's Carbon Footprint

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Hi-Ho, the Derry-O

www.washingtonpost.com...

Let's say you're preparing dinner and you realize with dismay that you don't have any certified organic Tuscan kale. What to do?

Here's how Michelle Obama handled this very predicament Thursday afternoon:

The Secret Service and the D.C. police brought in three dozen vehicles and shut down H Street, Vermont Avenue, two lanes of I Street and an entrance to the McPherson Square Metro station. They swept the area, in front of the Department of Veterans Affairs, with bomb-sniffing dogs and installed magnetometers in the middle of the street, put up barricades to keep pedestrians out, and took positions with binoculars atop trucks. Though the produce stand was only a block or so from the White House, the first lady hopped into her armored limousine and pulled into the market amid the wail of sirens.

Then, and only then, could Obama purchase her leafy greens. "Now it's time to buy some food," she told several hundred people who came to watch. "Let's shop!"

Cowbells were rung. Somebody put a lei of marigolds around Obama's neck. The first lady picked up a straw basket and headed for the "Farm at Sunnyside" tent, where she loaded up with organic Asian pears, cherry tomatoes, multicolored potatoes, free-range eggs and, yes, two bunches of Tuscan kale. She left the produce with an aide, who paid the cashier as Obama made her way back to the limousine.

There's nothing like the simple pleasures of a farm stand to return us to our agrarian roots.

The first lady had encouraged Freshfarm Markets, the group that runs popular farmers markets in Dupont Circle and elsewhere, to set up near the White House, and she helped get the approvals to shut down Vermont Avenue during rush hour on Thursdays. But the result was quite the opposite of a quaint farmers market. Considering all the logistics, each tomato she purchased had a carbon footprint of several tons.

I'll be sure to thinks about this when I sit down to a delicious can of "Fancy Feast" cat food when the SHTF.

I'm a true believer in "What goes around comes around" and she might not be as fortunate as me.

[edit on 9/22/2009 by sad_eyed_lady]

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Is it her fault, that the media follows her around and she requires security to do any shopping?

No it isn't, but it is her fault for not just sending out the chef or one of the other White House staff to do her bidding.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
The opening of the Farmers Market is what closed Vermont Avenue. Michelle Obama attended the opening.

The Washington Post reported on it:
Traffic Alert: Farmers Market Closes Vermont Ave.

The District Department of Transportation warns motorists that Vermont Ave NW will be closed between H and I streets today until 8 p.m. for the new farmer's market. These closures will continue every Thursday from 1 p.m. to 8 p.m. through Oct. 29.

[edit on 22-9-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
What happened to her fancy organic garden? Did it get plowed under?

Second line. The first made my point well enough.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by wylekat

come on... who grows every variety of everything in their gardens? we all still have to go shopping..

her fault is not effectively making use of White House staff. She should have people to do those things for her. As such a public figure, she should make more use of the internet if she wants to shop personally.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Good to know that a great majority of the worlds population continues to unknowingly eat a poisonous Monsanto GMO seed/food source -
How about we take care of that little problem - Mr and Mrs. Obama?

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Considering all the logistics, each tomato she purchased had a carbon footprint of several tons.

At least they were organic tomatoes.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by worldwatcher

come on... who grows every variety of everything in their gardens? we all still have to go shopping..

True... I can see your point, but I raise it one, too.

Why DID she need to go out to this farmer's market in such a public, not to mention wasteful, and mind numbingly complicated, way? Ok, she's the 1st lady. There was TOO much stink about it. The woman coulda put on a disguise, for crying out loud- but, she wanted to make it a scene, and so she did. And for pity's sake, WALK THE BLOCK, WOMAN! Give yourself and all those secret squirrels, I mean, Secret Service guys a little exercise. Tones the muscles, you know... They can carry bags- and if not (cant shoot and hold a bag of potatoes, I guess), bring the kids, or an aide.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

At least they were organic tomatoes.

Dont knock 'em til ya try 'em!
However, I'll go with my brand- grown outside on a somewhat sorry looking tomato plant (it's been attacked by caterpillars. *sniff*) I haven't got a lot... but what I do get are amazing. it's rare food makes me drool any more, thanks to it being nearly tasteless, or tasting weird... but the tomatoes I grow DO.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
You can blame all and any President or dignitary for using private jets and lots of security detail. You can also calculate the amount of methane produced in intestines of people gathered at Obama's inauguration and claim that it contributed to climate change. Yeah, its' that silly.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by wylekat
What happened to her fancy organic garden? Did it get plowed under?

Second line. The first made my point well enough.

But if it seems too good to be true, it probably is and recent news has revealed the garden of organic Eden is tainted with non-organic sludge.

According to the Daily Finance, the National Park Service tested the soil in the vegetable patch and found “highly elevated levels of lead” due to sewage used as fertilizer.

And just who is to blame for the contaminated fertilizer?

Democrats would like to blame a Republican conspiracy, but the perpetrators were none other than Bill and Hillary Clinton!

And that's the rest of the story,
vegetarianstar.com...

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I find that outing to be a little overblown on the part of the First Lady. Personally, I find it ridiculous that she went to the farmers market knowing the extent of the resources needed to keep her secure. More wasted tax dollars. Couldn't she have made it simple by making a list of food items and giving it to the head White House chef to send one of their staff to acquire the goods on behalf of the First Lady?

This hoopla was unnecessary and wasteful. There are other ways for a person of her stature to go shopping instead of a 100 man security blanket and barricading a public street for hours, isn't there? I think she likes the glamor, the entourage, the security detail, the aides, the private jet, and the other perks of the job; and she doesn't give a damn if her fellow Americans are giving up life's luxuries during this downtown. Way to show solidarity. Very poor taste on her part and I hope she enjoys her Tuscan kale. To put it simply, her behavior is blatant narcissism!

[edit on 22-9-2009 by Jakes51]

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jakes51
I find that outing to be a little overblown on the part of the First Lady.

I find it to be overblown on the part of the Washington Post. She didn't run out of kale. She attended the opening. She was the guest speaker.

Michelle Obama Launches DC Farmers Market Opening

First lady Michelle Obama, who keynoted the launch of a new farmers' market a block from the White House on Thursday, said at the ceremony the success of her White House garden has "been one of the greatest things that I've done in my life so far.''

The street was closed BECAUSE of the Farmers Market. NOT because the First lady was there.

Of course, if you just want a "rag on the first lady" thread, which seems to be the case, be my guest.
Go ignorance!

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

C'mon don't be ridiculous! I am not trying to rag on the First Lady, but I thought I was quite tame and respectful in my analysis of this recent outing.
I still think it's overblown and unnecessary. Okay, so the street was closed for the farmers market, but how many bomb sniffing dogs, police officers, Secret Service were there to ensure her security was maintained.

Last I checked, we are in a recession and the government is spending money like drunken sailors. She is a leader and must lead by example. If I were the First Lady, I would have sent a statement highlighting the ills going in this economy, and thank them for the invitation, but respectfully decline and wish them will with their shopping. Or something like that, but you get the idea. Maybe I was overly critical with my response, but that is how I perceived her latest shopping trip. You bring up good points though, and thank you.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

I just wonder. Do you think she should stay behind closed doors and not go out? Turn down invitations that every First Lady in the past has accepted? Every time they go out anywhere, the Secret Service is involved.

This wasn't a "shopping trip". She was the keynote speaker at a local event. She picked up some stuff while she was there, after her speech.

I just want to know what people expect.... That she hide in the White House until the economy shapes up?

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by Jakes51

I just wonder. Do you think she should stay behind closed doors and not go out? Turn down invitations that every First Lady in the past has accepted? Every time they go out anywhere, the Secret Service is involved.

This wasn't a "shopping trip". She was the keynote speaker at a local event. She picked up some stuff while she was there, after her speech.

I just want to know what people expect.... That she hide in the White House until the economy shapes up?

Not every social engagement, but learn to pick ones of substance that are of social importance, that's all. Please, don't be ridiculous. Just because the First Lady's before her jumped at idea of every speaking engagement to grace their desk, does it make it right for her? That was a different time when the country was rather prosperous and fruitful, but now is a different time and people are struggling. Now if she was progressive as she would like you and I to believe she is; then she would redefine the role as First Lady during this tough time. I am not here to rag on her. However, the venue she chose to speak at was of poor taste given the hardships of many at present. I am just offering respectful criticism of the First Lady.

People will perceive this outing as snobbish and rubbing her good fortune in their faces. Most of the food at this event was high priced specialty items and fare that the wealthy enjoy. She didn't speak at the local supermarket were most of us purchase our Monsanto Frankenfood. She chose to speak at the most elite farmer's market in the DC metro area, not the one run by farmer Bob with regular ears of corn, lettuce, eggs, and what not. Just look at the posh names of some the items being sold, one that strikes me is that Tuscan kale? Why not just kale, oh no, that is Tuscan kale, you serf!

That last statement was a little sarcasm, but I hope you get what I am saying? I perceived this recent outing as distant from our reality at present and quite snobbish. Maybe she should be a little more discreet when purchasing high ticket items and appearing at posh events. We know she and her husband are wealthy, but don't rub it in everyone's faces. Good points and I enjoy the discussion on this issue.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jakes51
Not every social engagement, but learn to pick ones of substance that are of social importance, that's all.

Jake, this is VERY important to her. Organic gardening has been an issue that she has been very involved in. It's a subject of substance and social importance. Good food for families.

Just look at the posh names of some the items being sold, one that strikes me is that Tuscan kale? Why not just kale, oh no, that is Tuscan kale, you serf!

There are several types of Kale! Tuscan kale is another name for black cabbage. It's not "posh" or elite!
Maybe because I'm a gardener, I find this so ridiculous. It's like getting upset over "Summer Squash" when all it is is plain old Zucchini. Tuscan kale is a regular old vegetable.

I perceived this recent outing as distant from our reality at present and quite snobbish. Maybe she should be a little more discreet when purchasing high ticket items and appearing at posh events.

You are cracking me up. Really. Do you know what a farmers market is? We have one here and were members for a couple years. It's where the local farmers bring their produce directly to the public and you can get REALLY good food for REALLY good prices because there is no middle man. It's not posh or elite. She probably paid less for her kale and Asian pears that I would pay at Albertson's (and yes, they're both available there).

I understand what you're saying, I do. I just think you might be misinformed.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

You made a lot of strong points and maybe I was getting bent out of shape for nothing. I have been to a few farmer's markets I just never heard of Tuscan kale as you described it. Thanks for clearing that up for me and sharing your opinion on the subject. I value it greatly! Keep up the good work and I have just learned something new about vegetables, thanks.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
One hypocrisy of this issue is the big deal Mrs. Obama makes about the benefits of organic gardening while the administration is doing this:

[edit on 9/22/2009 by sad_eyed_lady]

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by wylekat

It is fall. the only that would be in a garden now is pumpkins and squash. So no, she couldn't use her garden.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join