It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man on Wire walks Between WTC Towers In 1974

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
In a clandestine move, Phillippe Petit carried over a ton of rigging, unnoticed to the top of the WTC in 1974. In a daring high wire walk between the Twin Towers.
This was a documentary done by Sundance in 2008 on the, increditable feat performed by the French dare devil, street performer.
This was done while posing as office workers, with home made phony Id.
Phillppe completed his feat on Aug. 7, 1974 in broad daylight with onlookers, and was arrested shortly after his performance, under threats by police to pick him off wire with helicopter.

Any how this is a great story I had forgotten about, but the point I want to bring to light is he hauled over a ton of material to the top of the WTC and avoided security.
He did this on his own with help from his people.
Now one of the things the debunckers aways bring up is how did they get a ton of Thermite up in to the WTC.
My point being, that in 1974 these French guys half of whom could even speak English, were able to pull this off with little trouble.

But he did this right in front of their faces, and they never saw it coming, his prank in your face high wire walk. They even helped him at times.

[edit on 21-9-2009 by googolplex]

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
A little off topic, but this is a great doco people. Some of the still photos they show are quite haunting...

At the time, from memory, some parts of the WTC buildings were still under construction (maybe renovation - I need to watch the doco again). I wonder if this means the security was as tight as it would be in recent years.

Also, back in 1974 terrorism didn't exist as the threat it is today. People in Australia still left their houses and cars unlocked at night. Buildings didn't have complicated security systems with swipe cards, pin ID's and close-circuit cameras on every square inch.

Even though they were able to get all of their gear through security in the doco, I doubt it would have been as rigorous as in more recent years, particularly in a building which was the target of a terrorist attack only 8 years earlier...

Great doco, though!

Rewey

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Rewey

Yes the only point I was trying to make is that they, were able to move over a Ton of rigging and what not.
Before when they said a ton of thermite, I could not imagine that, a ton, but with what Phillppe did with a hoge poge crew, puts the posssibility more into perspective.
If you had the inside connection, security would have helped carry the thermite, to detonation site.

But Phillppe is amazing guy, watching him on tube is how I learned to juggle, no wire walking though.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by googolplex
but the point I want to bring to light is he hauled over a ton of material to the top of the WTC and avoided security.

Hmm, definitely worth reiterating. In fact:

he hauled over a ton of material to the top of the WTC and avoided security

But this can never happen? It's impossible? Someone would have noticed? But... but.... but....... but.......

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

So, what kind of security did they have then?

(Nothing like they had in place after the 1993 bombing)

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by googolplex

I'm surprised he didn't pull them down.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Swampfox46_1999

Yeah, which is how Sakher Hammad fraudulently attained a pass to the WTC basements and did "maintenance" down there 6 days before 9/11, right?

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Swampfox46_1999

For back then the security was kind of strict they didn't just let anyone one in, but it was easy to fake it back then.
At one point he was on crutches and Security was helping the poor guy, he used crutches even after he no longer needed them, was such good ploy.

[edit on 21-9-2009 by googolplex]

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   
The tower was still under construction, most of the floors were still empty.
They had security all over the tower, and the guy had to hide for hours under a plastic tarp as a security guy walked by him constantly. He couldn't move or make any sound for hours.

This was not the only building they did this in btw.

Imagine if you had a little inside help? The correct credentials and no one would question you. Security guards are not trained to recognize what you're bringing into the building, only that you have the correct ID. Buildings of that size are always having some kind of work done somewhere. I don't see why the debunkers think it would be hard?

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

Thanks, that's where I'm coming from, with some inside help it would be very easy.
In my travels several times not recent, but in past people working at airports would ask if I was FBI, of course I said no, wouldn't want that rap.

But it's easy to fool people, especially if you have the inside connection, it's almost like some want to be fooled, if you have what it takes to pull it off, if your Mr. Inside it's easy.

That Phillppe guy had phony Id. that he worked for Fisher something or other, but one of the workers had b#### to put on his Id. he was Jay Fisher. And I think he was stoner.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

Jesus, that's nuts. It almost sounds like fun.

Anyone willing to go through all that for art is some guy. Then again, I can't imagine walking a tightrope across those buildings, either. That's even more nuts.

top topics

join