It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Double Tax?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
With the bailouts I started making jokes to my friends that if they were in debt on their credit card, to tell the bank that they just paid that debt with the bail out, so no need to pay the same debt twice. I started digging a little deeper into this idea and I wanted to throw some ideas out at ATS to see how far off the mark I am with this idea…..

Public transit, if taxes pay for public transit, why does it cost money to ride the bus?

If county or city taxes pay for ambulance service, why does the ambulance service charge you money for their service?

Isn’t this paying twice for a service?

Maybe I am a bit off here, but the idea doesn’t sit right with me….

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Same reason why your health insurance still somehow magically makes you pay a small percentage on the bill

This way, you are paying a lot for insurance, and then EVEN MORE on the actual bill, but then it doesn't seem as much when in reality it actually is.

Or the fact that we say our taxes are not that bad in the U.S, when your income is taxed at two government levels, pay for car insurance, health insurance (insurance companies are a joke as many people here realize), property tax, sales tax, "sin" taxes and various added taxes on products, emission taxes on cars in some states, yadda yadda,

The middle man already gives up a lot of their money to taxes, but just imagine the rich. So if we have all of these taxes, how the hell do we end up in the situations we are in now?

OHHH!! I forgot tax on gasoline too. That is a biggy.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Which taxes?

Because as far as federal income taxes go, they only pay interest on the debt.

Grace Commission Report

January 12, 1984

The Honorable Ronald Reagan
President of the United States
The White House
Washington, D.C.

Dear Mr. President,

Resistance to additional income taxes would be even more widespread if people were aware that:

* One-third of all their taxes is consumed by waste and inefficiency in the Federal Government as we identified in our survey.

* Another one-third of all their taxes escapes collection from others as the underground economy blossoms in direct proportion to tax increases and places even more pressure on law abiding taxpayers, promoting still more underground economy-a vicious cycle that must be broken.

* With two-thirds of everyone's personal income taxes wasted or not collected, 100 percent of what is collected is absorbed solely by interest on the Federal debt and by Federal Government contributions to transfer payments. In other words, all individual income tax revenues are gone before one nickel is spent on the services which taxpayers expect from their Government.

Now, as for like buses and stuff, the only thing that could go to pay for that are city sales taxes and property taxes. Which I doubt would cover the costs, because the bulk of peoples money goes to the above with federal income taxes, and doesn't pay for services.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
You know i've never thought about it like that but i think you're probably right. I dont know much about it but the buses do get me around alot for a helluva lot cheaper than a car

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
What used to really irk me in the military was paying taxes on my soldier's salary....paying my own wages I used to think it was...

Yeah, it really stinks.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

I was shocked when I found out I had to pay taxes in the military. I couldn't believe it. Never did make much sense to me, why didn't they just pay me less?

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by badmedia

I always thought it was crazy for service men/women to pay taxes on their salary.
But pay you less? I think they should pay you More Way More for the job you do!!!!!!

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iseekthetruth!!!!!!!!
reply to post by badmedia

I always thought it was crazy for service men/women to pay taxes on their salary.
But pay you less? I think they should pay you More Way More for the job you do!!!!!!

Well, I do agree the military pay is ridiculous. IMO, they should tie congress to the military pay grade, then maybe they will start paying people in the military fairly.

What I meant was rather than taking out the taxes, they should just make it tax free and have paid me less. It would have been the exact same pay, but without the taxes etc. The money would still be ridiculously low in that case, but atleast it's not like you are paying yourself to work.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
i have a good one... i don't smoke,but i was wondering. if a pack of cigarettes actually cost about ,lets say ,50 cents,then the rest is tax,right? so when you purchase them at the store,why do they charge sales tax on the taxes already imposed on the butts?
shouldn't the sales tax only be on the actual price of the merchandise?
just another rip off

top topics

join