It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious Underwater Sounds - 'The Bloop' and 'Slow Down' = related?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
On May 19 of 1997, NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) was using an array of hydrophones (basically underwater microphones) when they discovered a strange sound, which is commonly referred to as "Slow Down" because the way that it, well, slows down!
Listen to it here:
Slow Down
It was located at stable.toolserver.org...(unidentified_sound)¶ms=15_S_115_W_scale:40000000 , roughly off the coast of South America.
To this day, the sound remains a mystery.

Remember the location and date that this sound appeared. It is similar to the next one.

Several times during the summer of 1997, "The Bloop" was heard by the NOAA using an array of hydrophones.
Go here to hear the sound: The Bloop
Scientists say that it is similar to the sound whales make, but it is far too loud to come from a whale. Judgeing by the sound level of it, the whale would have to be 3 times larger than a Blue Whale!
It originated from stable.toolserver.org...(unidentified_sound)¶ms=50_S_100_W_scale:40000000 , around the coast of South America.
To this day, the sound remains unexplained.

Here are two sounds, from two similar locations, at dates that are near eachother, that have no explanation.
Any theories?
Atlantis?
USOs?
Military Activity?
New Species of sealife?
Other?

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Hamlet - Act One, Scene 5

I think there are all sorts of interesting things down in the deep. colossal squid are down there, so conceivably there can be a predator that feeds on them and other animal life.

Our waters are teeming with strange life, yet we look for life on cold, arid rocks instead.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
First one: possibly a jet passed over the location of the hydrophone? What I mean is even in air, you rarely hear an approaching jet if it's passing directly overhead and moving near Mach 1.
Second one: not sure.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

I would think that the scientists took jets and boats into consideration and ruled them out.
I'm not sure though, I'm definitly not an expert. I'm just 16.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by MagoSA

True that. If we can only figure out what lies in our world, it will be so much more beneficial to us as a race. Perhaps untapped energy sources? New medical breakthroughs? The possibilities are endless.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
One possibility that comes to mind is of course natural sea life that we are experiencing for the first time. I suppose another plausible explanation is perhaps a sound made by a sub or some underwater vessel that we don't know about.
Then again, who really knows. The first sound byte "slow down" sounds artificial. the 'bloop" however sounds natural, according to what I know about marine life anyway.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by highfreq

Remember though: both sound bytes are at 16x their actual speeds. I reckon this is so we can actually pay attention to it and notice it.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by gatorboi117

Remember though: both sound bytes are at 16x their actual speeds. I reckon this is so we can actually pay attention to it and notice it.

True, but that doesn't mean it excludes either suggestion. It's absolutely fascinating to speculate what it might be.

Since this is a conspiracy site
I believe I have read on ATS about the supposed underwater bases and facilities. I guess one could speculate it has something to do with that. Isn't there a supposed Mag-Lev train system that connects them underground?
Your guess is as good as mine.

Maybe it's a means of communication. Not to us perhaps. but for whatever reason, a means of communication.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   

I'm fairly confident the experts would consider obvious things as well. Good posting though.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by highfreq

True, but that doesn't mean it excludes either suggestion. It's absolutely fascinating to speculate what it might be.

Since this is a conspiracy site
I believe I have read on ATS about the supposed underwater bases and facilities. I guess one could speculate it has something to do with that. Isn't there a supposed Mag-Lev train system that connects them underground?
Your guess is as good as mine.

Maybe it's a means of communication. Not to us perhaps. but for whatever reason, a means of communication.

I've been considering the possibility of it being underwater bases as well.
Hey, let's throw a second conspiracy on top if it all: what if HAARP was fired up and pointed at it?

Another fact I found about it while researching: "The Bloop" was recorded from around 5,000 km away from the source of the sound!

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Didn't the "Bloop" originate near the the coordinates for the island in Call of Cthulu? I always found that very interesting ^_^. If it's natural, I hope it stays down there because I am terrified of marine life. Surely there is a name for that phobia haha I just don't know what it is. Whoever was talking about colossal squid: thanks, nightmares for me tonight

I've never heard of the "slow down" before! Thank you for bringing it to my attention! And I'm off to google!

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
R'lyeh Coordinates:
stable.toolserver.org...

The Bloop Coordinates:
stable.toolserver.org...

Pretty dang close. Cthulu probably snorted in his sleep or something.

[edit on 20-9-2009 by angrymomma]

all [edits] go to fixing a link

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 01:44 AM
link   
After listening to 'Slow Down' a few dozen times I have come to the conclusion that it sounds most like someone is playing a large upright stringed instrument like the cello. Now I'm not suggesting there is some mermaid like entity actually playing the cello on the bottom of the ocean, although I suppose that is a possibility.

But I did seem to notice a pattern being played in sets of four notes, starting with a higher tone at a faster tempo and progressively slowing the tempo and correspondingly lowering the tone with each set. There seemed to be five sets of four notes with possibly a sixth set that was barely audible due to the very low octave of that set and the background noise drowning it out. With each set it was as if the bow quickly slid or bounced over the first three strings and then slid for a longer time on the fourth string until starting the next set.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 04:11 AM
link   
could be a weather balloon,that crashed,sank,
and then slowly deflated, making that noise.
.......or. a jet crashed into the ocean,
and the motors kept going.......
no , probably a giant calamari ring!

[edit on 21-9-2009 by radarloveguy]

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by angrymomma

Wow thanks for pointing this out , I didn't know that those coordinates were spot on .. I mean I know Cthulu is fiction (and a damn good one
) but , what if he knew something but was not allowed (or to afraid) to reveal it
?

Maybe not Cthulu specific but some other type of marine life/creature that was a good basis for the sleeping ancient ...

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
It's always been my OPINION that a lot of fiction writers, especially the classic writers, like to write a little bit of "fact" or a distortion of "facts" into their writings. Maybe there is something there, probably not Cthulhu (oh god don't let it be Cthulhu!) but something haha. Let's send a team
. If the first 2 teams disappear then we know there is a problem

But I love reading about The Bloop. I find it very interesting!

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by angrymomma

The problem with sending down a team is (from what I presume) the depth . We just do not have a way to deliver people to extreme depths , at least not officially.

If they found a way to put divers down there I would volunteer at once
I have the credentials but thats about as far as I get to exploring that place :/

I do have a funny feeling that they did send something down there , a unmanned sub or something but of course we will never know (Cthulhu did not give permission
)

Well I guess without any additional bloop sightings/hearings there is not much to research :/

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by angrymomma
Didn't the "Bloop" originate near the the coordinates for the island in Call of Cthulu? I always found that very interesting ^_^.

Actually, that movie was intentionally based there because of The Bloop. There are many theories as to what these noises are. The one that made the most sense to me was the Slow Down actually just being ice shifting in Antarctica. The sound frequency of almost any friction is similar to the sound you will hear in Slow Down. Also just to have this on record, both of the recordings posted by the OP have been sped up. The Slow Down is actually a 7 minute recording.

DTOX X

top topics

join