It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

75 Percent of Oklahoma High School Can't Name First President of the U.S.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by mental modulator

Who's Abraham Lincoln?

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by concernedcitizan
reply to post by mental modulator

Who's Abraham Lincoln?

Why I like Abe...

[edit on 18-9-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
How did they come about this percentage?

Did they go to a random school and ask the students the question? If so, it's quite possible, with kids being kids, they gave dumb answers on purpose.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Double Eights

That's very true. In High school we we almost wrote in voted our quarterback for prom queen. He came in second place.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
This is ridiculous.
I was born and raised in oklahoma we are certainly not a bunch of idiots.

Did they pick really rural unfunded schools, or the worst of the inner city schools, or did the kids think this was such a ridiculous question they answered wrong on purpose???

I asked my 2nd grader who the first president was last night after seeing the article somewhere else. He looked at me like I was the stupid one and told me George Washington,DUH!!!

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Killah29

Originally posted by mental modulator
Well who cares, Abraham Lincoln has been dead for like a thousand years now.

I saw that and LOL'd out of my chair.

Besides, who cares about people in Europe anyway?
We've got nukes!

Mod Note: Please Stay on Topic

[edit on 18-9-2009 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by gluetrap

I certainly hope so. My new accounting manager is from OK. I hope I chose wisely.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I have to say, I am really disappointed in my fellow ATSers today. I can't believe how many of you who have posted in this thread find it so easy to believe this bogus study, so easy to single out Oklahomans as ignorant. I was born in Tulsa and was schooled in the Oklahoma City area. Not to toot my own horn, but I think my spelling and grammar far surpass many posts on this forum. You'd better believe I know who George Washington is.

What's more, even the stupidest grade schoolers I went to school with knew who George Washington is. This is like when the OKC bombing happened and Connie Chung wondered aloud on the air, if Oklahoma had the resources to send rescue workers. Or when I moved to Oregon and some idiot from Memphis was shocked to learn that Oklahomans do indeed have the internet.

But no matter, the willingness for those of you to take this study seriously says way more about you than it does Oklahomans.

[edit on 18-9-2009 by AmethystSD]

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by BaronVonGodzilla

Originally posted by drwizardphd
Anyone from OK care to comment on the (intelligence?) of the population there?

I'm from OK and it's simple, trust me, though the study is done in Oklahoma, these results could likely be duplicated in alot of places.

Oklahoma is in the Bible belt.

Everyone there is highly religious, well actually, highly Christian. Other religions are looked down upon, and there are few congregations outside of the word of Jesus.

It's a heavily Republican state, interested in things such as Creationism.

They vote hard line conservative and believe themselves to have conservative "values," though what those values are beyond greedlust for money, I don't know.

People are taught not to think, not to ask questions, certainly never to question authority.

Schools are no longer places of education, nor were they ever in America. From the beginning they have been child prisons to indoctrinate students and teach them to do pointless busywork in their awful jobs later on in life.

Nobody is encouraged to learn or think. People here are one dimensional.

I am not trying to bash Oklahoma, like I said, I was born and raised there myself after all and still have plenty of family there.

But you surprisingly will not find people too interested in learning when it's been beaten into them to shut up and never ask questions about anything, the law, religion, the government, the media, etcetera.

It's depressing, but the study's results speak for itself.

Oklahoma is hardly how you make it out to be. If we voted hardline conservative, then why do we have a democratic governor? The entirety of your post is nothing more than a generalization, and not a very good one at that.

------------------------
I heard this story yesterday and decided to poll the high school students that I'm substituting for today. Not a single one of them got it wrong. Seven classes with 18 students on average ranging from 10th to 12th graders.

I don't know what the agenda is behind a poll like this, but I will be asking more questions to get to the bottom of it. I'm having a hard time swallowing those numbers.

Just for the record, my kids know who the first President was and my youngest is 6. They're all products of the Oklahoma public school system, as am I.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by AmethystSD

Thank you. I've been asked by people from other states while on vacation, if we still have cowboys and Indians. Some are shocked to learn that we have something as basic as electricity. And they want to call us simpleton's?

All of the people on here that have painted Oklahoman's as Bible thumpin' Jesus worshipers crack me up. Yes, we are in the Bible belt, and yes, we are a red state. Other than that, we're pretty much like every other state from the east coast to the west coast and everywhere in between.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
Doesn't surprise me in the least. Here's why!

What did Gore Vidal call it?.. Ahh yes.. The United States of Amnesia.

IRM

I have to say, I lost at least 20 IQ points just watching that video. I am American, and I knew what each and every one of them was. I also knew where they where.... Those people are.... GAH!

I would visit Australia in a heart beat though! How could I miss the leaning tower of Pizza?

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

sigh !.........................and again the question that the these film makers are loathe to disclose :

how many interviews did you have to conduct to complile the clip of 7 gullible people ?

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

Jimmy Carter!!!
Second Line

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

It was only a light hearted jibe IA. Not to be taken too seriously. I just wanted people to lighten up and have a laugh mate

IRM

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by watchZEITGEISTnow

It was 200 guinea pigs and they were probably all imports from other states. Quite a few of us "sheeple" ARE awake.

I asked my son who the first president was (he's in 5th grade) and he said, "I don't know. We never talk about presidents, except Obama."

And so there you have it. They don't clairavoyantly have basic information because the schools aren't teaching it

I had a discussion with my son's teacher last year about homework. If the schools quit having pizza parties, word search games, arts and crafts, etc. and focused on teaching then maybe the parents could quit having to pick up the slack and we could enjoy the pizza parties, etc. with our kids. Seems like parents and teachers roles have been reversed.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join