It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A DNA sample could buy freedom

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   

A DNA sample could buy freedom

www.latimes.com

Orange County, which already has one of the nation's most aggressive programs for taking DNA samples from convicts, has quietly begun offering a deal to some people who have only been arrested: give a DNA sample and have your charges dropped.

The district attorney's office, which runs its own database, has started expanding its program by handling some cases "informally," Orange County Dist. Atty. Tony Rackauckas told the Board of Supervisors this week. In those cases, if a person who has been arrested agrees to give a DNA sample, "we would not even file" charges.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   

"There'd be no necessity for a guilty plea, and a dismissal, or anything like that," he said.

Please good people of ATS help me understand what benefit it is for authorities to have your DNA sample if you never commit a crime that desires such evidence?

Imagine I wanted to be a petty thief for a living, and that was all my conscience was capable of, I could probably commit a half dozen crimes before I was caught, then I would say, "well, here's my DNA, see ya, peace!"

Unless there is more nefarious reason that my simple mind can't wrap around. Seriously, I understand the logic if one believes that a petty thief is bound to become a murderer or something of that nature. But really, is it really worth a "get out of jail free card?"

If I was a store owner who had been robbed for weeks and finally caught one person, and the police let him go because he got cotton swabbed, I would be livid.

"All law enforcement will be demoralized, especially on narcotics cases," said Wayne Quint, president of the Assn. of Orange County Deputy Sheriffs.

"I don't believe any plea deals for DNA should ever occur, period," he said. "There's absolutely no scientific empirical evidence to show that it's a deterrent."

I'm sure glad some people see it my way, but seriously, I think this goes deeper than the surface.

Any ideas?

AAC

www.latimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I think that the logic is that criminals don't go straight.

You've been caught for something minor. It's cheaper for them to convince you to get the swab.

Then the next time you do something more serious.... Bingo you're in the database.

Or if you're smart you know that you're in the database so you straighten out your life.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Well I might be wrong but I think they are doing more so because they are broke and it cost money to feed and house inmates. It's probably cheaper to take DNA from petty criminals and send them on their way then to lock them up. I'm not advocating it though.Just my 2 cents

[edit on 17-9-2009 by freeyourmind1111]

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
This is just a method of blackmailing innocent people for their DNA.

Seriously...

The police are going to start threatening people with charges they have no intention of pressing (and have no evidence of) in order to get more samples.

Giving up your DNA is the easy way out.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
errr... i dont understand the reasoning behind it though....

why a dna sample?

what would be the end fruit of the labors other than alleviating the financial burden of the criminal prosecution process?

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnAbsoluteCreation
Please good people of ATS help me understand what benefit it is for authorities to have your DNA sample if you never commit a crime that desires such evidence?

Well just consider your self lucky that you don't live in the UK!!!

You a forced to give a DNA sample at almost every turn in a process that involves the police!!!

ANY arrestable offence - be that a driving offence, suspicion of, well anything theft any allegation of any type and you have to give a sample.

And even if your found not guilty - or even deaarrested but they already have your sample you will still go on the database
There are kids that have got into arguments with other kids - the neighbours call the police!! The kids get arrested and sampled then that's it for life.

That's nothing new here -

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Wow, I had no idea that you guys in the UK have to go through this. That really sucks!!

new topics

top topics

join