It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Death and after?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I am not sure if this is the right place to start this topic but i hope it is.

Well my question is.. What do you think happends after death?

Is it like a computer when u shut it down, it does nothing, stops working and is dead..

or is there a hell and heaven where u see your past life again?...

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Wow. Greater minds then mine have pondered this for the centuries. But heres my 2 cents. At the risk of seeming to embrace nihilism I think dead is dead. And i really don't have a problem with that. It's borrowed time anyway. if you want to live on I suggest having some kids. i don't feel the need to bow down to some supernatural god. But feel free. try to live everyday as if it is your last. Let the good times roll.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Without getting into a debating rigmarole I would highly recommend anyone curious about the shutting down of their body permanently to at least try out of body experiences. Just.. Try it. once.

Having stumbled upon the phenomena I have drastically lost all fear and anxiousness about the subject.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Huggiesunrise

Wow......your avatar creeps me the frick out

sorry.....BACK ON TOPIC!!

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
There is no absolute answer to this question. It is all belief.

An atheist can tell you when you die, nothing happens, but is that true?

A Christian can warn you, when you die, you may go to Hell or to Heaven, but probably Hell. Is this true?

Reincarnation. You could come back as a bleeping tree or a cockroach! Is this true?

For me, I do not know what will happen, but I do know that my body will cease to exist, but that is the death of the body; if the soul does exist, then there are various scenarios that could happen but nothing of which I truly know, however, if I rely on someone's reassuring me what to believe and what not to, I am most perhaps doomed.

Point? It is all on you to believe what you think will happen after death. There is no absolute consensus on it, so don't rely or believe anyone else but yourself.

[edit on 16-9-2009 by DevilJin]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Myself, I have always thought life to be too precious just to have one crack at it and believe that you do come back as another person.

The "caste system" is in someway a reason why I think the pool of humans / souls is just a set amount of participants getting re-generated over and over.

Bit like a maths solution where you keep doing the numbers over and over until you reach the definitive answer.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I agree with what the guy with the freaky avatar said. Anyone with curiosity about the subject or doubtful try an OBE (Astral Projection) it's not only calming and a great experience, you learn a little about yourself. I am always amazed when I encounter Atheists that many of them have not even thought of trying it or even meditating (even when it's proven to be of great benefit to the body).

Anyway here's the rub with death. The non believer or doubter will tell you all a NDE is, is just a chemical reaction withing your brain (the '___' Theory, remember it is just that, it has NOT been proven). If the theory is true, then you will experience something spiritual when you die no matter who you are, and it will seem like an eternity. However my argument against the chemical reaction theory is that after the heart and brain shuts down there is no way the '___' (or some other chemical) can move around the body. This is because blood carries the chemicals and after the heart stops blood flow stops therefore making it impossible for the chemical making it through the body and mind.

Some speculate '___' comes from the Pineal gland, but of course this is just speculation '___' has not been proven to be the chemical that induces these experiences. All the research showed was people who used '___' externally experienced something along the lines of a OBE or NDE, the whole "tunnel" thing a few met a character that accompanied them through the experience (which isn't unusual for hallucinations). Again this drug will not have the opportunity to move around the body after the heart and brain have shut down. My thought is that the Pineal Gland does play an important role and perhaps '___' could be the trigger to make the Pineal gland separate consciousness from the body, just my 2 cents though.

[edit on 16-9-2009 by asmall89]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I have never had a OBE and I wonder about the "afterlife" off and on especially after someone I know has passed away. I know there are people who have premonitions of their death prior to dying. Sometimes they are shared with people they know, and I'm sure many never share.
It does seem, retrospectively they make plans for their demise in different ways, if to settle a longtime grudge and make amends, situate financial affairs for when they won't be around, just things of that nature.

I saw a figure of my late husband in my house two years after he died. A few years later my son saw (as he described to me) that same figure. I never told anyone what I had "seen" because I figured they would chalk it off as "she is going to lose it" or as one "friend" told me at another time, "demons are possessing you". So, I found it interesting that my son also saw that figure.

That experience and others have led me to believe in supernnatural/spirits
that do exist in another reality. And, yet I still sometimes wonder if when a person dies there is simply a blank of acknowledging life of any sort.

".

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by catamaran

You brought up a good point I forgot to add, that when people have NDE's they often recall what doctors or people around them were doing when they were dead, conversations, procedures, tools people used etc. There was a couple crazy stories I read, one was where one women had died and saw her father and she thought it was odd because he was still alive when she had died. When she was revived she found out that her dad had died around the same time she did!

This was in a book I read the Big Book of Near Death Experiences, I recommend people check it out, there's some great stories.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Huggiesunrise
Without getting into a debating rigmarole I would highly recommend anyone curious about the shutting down of their body permanently to at least try out of body experiences. Just.. Try it. once.

Having stumbled upon the phenomena I have drastically lost all fear and anxiousness about the subject.

So, how can I go about inducing an OBE?

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
There have been countless threads, pondering the same question, in different ways, ......

My advice is, don't worry about it. Dont squander your life pondering what comes after it, .... all we have is this moment, .. make the most of it.

But if you simply can't wait, .. learn to leave your body. My life has never been the same.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by IntastellaBurst

There have been countless threads, pondering the same question, in different ways, ......

My advice is, don't worry about it. Dont squander your life pondering what comes after it, .... all we have is this moment, .. make the most of it.

But if you simply can't wait, .. learn to leave your body. My life has never been the same.

So, can you give some advice on how to learn how to leave your body?

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmall89
reply to post by catamaran

You brought up a good point I forgot to add, that when people have NDE's they often recall what doctors or people around them were doing when they were dead, conversations, procedures, tools people used etc. There was a couple crazy stories I read, one was where one women had died and saw her father and she thought it was odd because he was still alive when she had died. When she was revived she found out that her dad had died around the same time she did!

This was in a book I read the Big Book of Near Death Experiences, I recommend people check it out, there's some great stories.

That is interesting, reminded me of a friend of mine who told me that when he was having a heart attack, he was hooked up to a telemetry, blood pressure and other monitors. He said he was just watching them, not really knowing what each of them meant. His mom was sitting in a chair in the room. He said that he noticed a monitor that kept getting smaller in the spikes and then it became almost flat, he sat up and told his mom to get someone. He then said, a doctor came in , took is arm and holding it between his arm and his side, opened a large syring covering and stuck the needle in his arm, he noticed the doctors name tag, and the doctor grabbed another syringe from the table and opened it the same way and pulled the cover down and stuck that needle (he said it was huge) up under his breast bone and delivered the medicine. He noticed his mom crying thanking the doctor and the doctor telling her that it was his job. I asked him if that hurt when the needle was poked up under his ribs and he said he didn't feel a thing.

Later on, when he kept telling this story his mom told him to quit saying that, he couldn't have know what happened, that after sitting up in bed, he fell back down and was like comatose until the medicines took effect and brought his vitals back to normal. That he could not have seen what he was describing because he was not awake.

I really believe him because he is not the type to just say things like that.

I think I will try to find that book, it sound like something I would like to read.

[edit on 16-9-2009 by catamaran]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Remixtup
reply to post by Huggiesunrise

Wow......your avatar creeps me the frick out

sorry.....BACK ON TOPIC!!
There are a lot of people with clown issues. Especially the mind control clowns of McConspiracy.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I think that the essence that is you lives on once you discard the shell that is your physical body.

Perhaps I'm wrong. Perhaps not.

In any case, no one gets out of life alive so we'll all just have to wait and be surprised.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by really

Sure can buddy, .... u2u me anytime, ... im just wondering, ... how old are you ??? not that its really relevant, but i'd like to know so i have an idea of your experience.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I definitely think something happens when you die, your consciousness/spirit goes somewhere I just have no idea where. It's nice to think that upon death you'll finally have all the answers you've been looking for but I'm in no hurry to find out if that's the case.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
We are transported to another reality.

That is all I know, but know for a fact I do.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by 2Unknown

Wow - in the brief time since you posted this you have already received a large variety of views!

If there is anything like a consensus on this subject in the world at large ( and I don't know that there is) it would lean in the direction that we come back.

The body, of course, doesn't come back. But the mind and the personality (usually called the "spirit") do seem to come back. This is not only the factual recall of many people, it is what has been observed by the ancient mystics right on up to modern-day researchers.

What happens in the "between time" is a little more debatable, as it seems to be widely variable from person to person. But you can go to the various stories about near death experiences to learn more about that.

I think it is better that you do the best you can to work out an answer to this for yourself. The fact that most people can't remember their past lives (most, not all!) has been taken advantage of by people who would profit from the masses not believing that they are eternal spiritual beings. You can live your life in that yoke if you want to, but I think it is worth considering other alternatives.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Life after death? Yes.

A couple of years ago I lost a freind, and collegue, to cancer. She chose to carry her child to term instead of chemo which would have in all liklihood killed the unborn child... She fought hard, but was just too tired. Another freind who was with her when she passed said she suddenly smiled so radiently and just gently passed away.

Later that week, at the funeral it was cold and snowey, wind and fog...you name it, it was goin' on... On the drive home I was, as you might expect, more than a little depressed...

I'm driving down this country road with winter wheat just sprouting on either side of the road, and it's foggy, and just plain yukky... Fitting given the state of my mind at that instant...

Suddenly, behind me the fog just rolled away and everything turned kind of silvery, the wheat fields were a green seen only in dreams, a couple of old wornout wheat bins turned silver on me, and the golden sunlight was just... All in all, it was surreal. Then it got weird...

It was like my car was filled with two presences...one was my mom, of that I'm positive, she too died of cancer several years before, the other was my freind, that too, I'm positive of. No words, no devine prophecy, just a feeling of "It's gonna be OK". then they were gone, the fog was back, and gray. But I wasn't.

There's most assuredly something after this life, of that I'm postive.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join